oldjohnny

Emissions warning.

Sorry Folks.  Bit of an emergency.

I am sure this has been well covered before but I need to do a round trip of approx 220 miles tomorrow and the emissions warning has reappeared.  It was on about a week ago, went off the next day but the barsteward has come on again the night before my trip.  Can I take a chance with this or play safe and use another motor?

Edited by oldjohnny

Many thanks Yokozuna.

It was the yellow 'engine block' light with emissions warning.  Just checked and it has gone out again, so I think you are correct that it's time for a good old John Cleese 'Damn Good Thrashing' from Belfast to Dublin and back as it's mainly motorways all the way.  It seldom gets to go over 50mph these days.

29 minutes ago, oldjohnny said:

It seldom gets to go over 50mph these days.

There you go! They need a good boot every now and again! ;) well that’s what you tell the officer when he asks why your doing three figures....

I will try telling him I am suffering from pre menstrul tension, but as a very old male pensioner I don't fancy my chances!

12 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

Is it the dpf warning? 

If so give it a good old thrash on your journey tomorrow and that “should” sort it!

+1 for giving it some wellie. On the Mway I occasionally hold 2-2.5k rpm in manual mode for 20-30 mins. If the stats are good and you have ¼+ fuel in the tank this might kick off a regen if the required planets are in alignment.  :D Good luck!

No warning light for the first 50 miles.  Stopped for coffee and it was there again at start up.  Stayed on until about 10 miles into the return journey of 120 miles, went off and hasn't appeared again yet.  Don't know if this points to a regeneration in motion as the weather was appalling and I wasn't able to hold the proper revs etc so will hope for the best.   I don't get to do many long runs nowdays but couldn't believe the old girl at nearly 15 years old and with over 150K on the clock could still manage a return of 47 mpg.  ( I  set it to zero before going ).  Bought it over two years ago for a grand, still looks the part and at this rate could well be, at my age, the last car in a very long list of the good, the bad and the ugly over the years.

IMG_0763-001.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

It might need cleaning out then (the dpf I mean) or at worst replacing! And I believe for a new dpf it’s the cost of what you paid for the whole car! :shock: 

But if you can take it for a run at high revs every few weeks then this will help it no end!