Dakota

Bosch brake discs, quite cheap.

Out of curiosity just priced front disks for the car.

ATE coming in at €270 a pair

Bosch are €152 a pair, quite a saving.

Any reason not to use Bosch, I always thought they were a top brand?

Bosch are a top brand if you want a dishwasher or a cordless drill or gas hob. I have a Bosch angle grinder and it's a great tool.

They don't float my boat for important car parts, you know like brakes.

I got genuine BMW discs for ~£120 each 348x36 mm. cheaper than your ATE ones and yours will be smaller so cheaper.

11 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Cheers Andrew, I get your point.  Interestingly BMW here charge €500 for new front pads, disks and sensor fitted.

They've jacked the price on all models. I've replaced both with genuine ones 4 years ago. And after 30,000+ miles there's no corrosion, no warping, no vibration and no squealing. Genuine discs last twice longer than aftermarket, fit and forget. If you look at eBay, you may find good deals.

1 hour ago, Johnny Grabble said:

That's a shame because the ABS system on your F10 is made by Bosch...

Lol yeah, I knew about the electrical bits. 

On a similar note I had first heard of Siemens as my mum had one of their dishwashers back in 1992, and next heard of Siemens on my E39 as they made the abs wheel sensors. And as anyone who has owned an E39 in the first flushes of the E39s youth will know all about swapping out Siemens abs wheel sensors........

Their dishwasher on the other hand was excellent and was fault free.

Bosch wipers are good too.

1 hour ago, Dakota said:

Cheers Andrew, I get your point.  Interestingly BMW here charge €500 for new front pads, disks and sensor fitted.

If I had paid full whack for my parts plus an hour minimum to fit at £100 an hour, it wouldn't be far away from your €500.

1 hour ago, jake13 said:

They've jacked the price on all models. I've replaced both with genuine ones 4 years ago. And after 30,000+ miles there's no corrosion, no warping, no vibration and no squealing. Genuine discs last twice longer than aftermarket, fit and forget. If you look at eBay, you may find good deals.

THIS!

8 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

If I had paid full whack for my parts plus an hour minimum to fit at £100 an hour, it wouldn't be far away from your €500.

The charge separate labour for discs and pads. I enquired fitting for an E60 530D; rear discs £27.75 +vat and rear pads £87.05 +vat.

No one has been able to figure that one out.

Thoughts are ATE or possibly Brembo but can't confirm. I don't believe BMW use a single supplier for discs.

I had to wait a month for my brake discs from BMW as there was a delay due to changing parts supplier. 

I will take a disc out the packaging tomorrow and look for a name.

ATE were OEM discs on my E39 and I bought ATE discs from ECP and fitted with no issue. No name on my E60 discs. 

I would fit ATE discs to my car but why bother when genuine discs are cheaper?  ATE make brake parts, not dishwashers. ;)

11 minutes ago, jake13 said:

The charge separate labour for discs and pads. I enquired fitting for an E60 530D; rear discs £27.75 +vat and rear pads £87.05 +vat.

Thats a bit more than I would have thought for pads and discs. On a ramp an experienced tech should take an hour max. Two 7mm Allen key bolts for the caliper, two 18 mm bolts for the cradle, unscrew disc retaining screw and hit disc till it falls off.

Refitting is reversal of removing except less hammering. No mincing about with electronic parking brake actuators on an E60. Easy diy, even an untrained monkey can change rear brakes.....

We know and adjusting the handbrake isn't that time consuming either which they do (should) as part of rear pad service. I've replaced them before on my car. However, they were seized and I did not want to go like a 200lb gorilla since it was not my car.

47 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

No one has been able to figure that one out.

Thoughts are ATE or possibly Brembo but can't confirm. I don't believe BMW use a single supplier for discs.

I had to wait a month for my brake discs from BMW as there was a delay due to changing parts supplier. 

I will take a disc out the packaging tomorrow and look for a name.

ATE were OEM discs on my E39 and I bought ATE discs from ECP and fitted with no issue. No name on my E60 discs. 

I would fit ATE discs to my car but why bother when genuine discs are cheaper?  ATE make brake parts, not dishwashers. ;)

The brembo discs I fitted last to my car where extremely similar in markings and build/design to the OEMs that came off, both 2 part discs with rivets that seemed very similar.

Would be intrigued to see what markings your genuine discs have, I noticed the box said 'value'? Does BMW have two lines? I know vw offer a 'value' line of parts from TPS which are 'built and tested to vw standards'

If you could post some close up pictures would be great, I'm due new discs and pads in the next few months

Will do.

Value line parts only carries a one year part warranty. Full fat parts have a two year warranty. That's what you pay more for.

Value line also means customers like us will go back to get genuine parts and not after market stuff thus BMW get more of our hard earned.

1 hour ago, jake13 said:

ALL genuine Bmw parts carry 2 year warranty including the Value Line range.

That's not what the parts guys at my local dealer told me. 

So if the cheaper price isnt to do with the reduction in warranty, why two ranges then?

19 hours ago, apples12 said:

Would be intrigued to see what markings your genuine discs have, I noticed the box said 'value'?

If you could post some close up pictures would be great, I'm due new discs and pads in the next few months

Here are the markings on the disc.

DSCN3935.jpg

L for left disc and the min thickness before its scrap.

DSCN3936.jpg

Part number.  I wonder what the QR code gives....

Nowt on the pads either.

DSCN3942.jpg

And certainly no reference to Bosch on the wear sensor.

DSCN3946.jpg

So from my genuine pads, discs and wear sensor, there are no clues as to who makes them.

The packaging stated that the discs are made in Germany and the pads are made in Italy and that's all I've got to go on.

Edited by 535i Andrew

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

That's not what the parts guys at my local dealer told me. 

So if the cheaper price isnt to do with the reduction in warranty, why two ranges then?

They are assembled in 'kit' form which is what the Service department use. Your part number on the disc is the same as normal.

Why choose Genuine BMW Parts?

servicing-repairs-genuineparts-qualitywa

Quality/Warranty/Trust.

Genuine BMW Parts come with a trio of promises: uncompromising quality to retain the best performance of your BMW, a two-year warranty on all parts to safeguard and protect you in the unlikely chance they need replacing again, and peace of mind that a like for like replacement has been provided to the same exacting standards you have come to expect from BMW.

https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-ownership/servicing-and-repairs/genuine-bmw-parts

47 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Here are the markings on the disc.

DSCN3935.jpg

L for left disc and the min thickness before its scrap.

DSCN3936.jpg

Part number.  I wonder what the QR code gives....

Nowt on the pads either.

DSCN3942.jpg

And certainly no reference to Bosch on the wear sensor.

DSCN3946.jpg

So from my genuine pads, discs and wear sensor, there are no clues as to who makes them.

The packaging stated that the discs are made in Germany and the pads are made in Italy and that's all I've got to go on.

Is there any marking on bottom edge of the pads, i.e. "BMW Jurid", "BMW Textar" etc? They look like Brembos. The sensor for E60/E61 is dark green, by Hella?

3 minutes ago, jake13 said:

Is there any marking on bottom edge of the pads, i.e. "BMW Jurid", "BMW Textar" etc? They look like Brembos. The sensor for E60/E61 is dark green, by Hella?

Not that I noticed but I'll double check when I go back to the garage for beer. Brembo are Italian aren't they? The pads are made in Italy....so mibbies Brembo?

Yes the rear wear sensor was green for the E60. Can't recall any manufacturing logo on it tho.

21 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Easy diy, even an untrained monkey can change rear brakes.....

True. I am that monkey! I'm sure there are after market pads and discs that perform OK and are cheaper than BMW ones. But I've read enough tales of folks fitting cheapies and then spending time and effort having to track down and fix wobbles, shimmies, warping, brake fade etc., that nowadays I can't be arsed. Cotswold did me a very reasonable deal when I bought from them. 

16 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Bad news, Nope no markings on the edge of backing plate. Completely void of all identification. C'mon BMW, play the game.

Good news, I now have beer. :D

Shame...

altAtnXhzLmH-p2Vrk0SH5aWYPf1mfZWnGUzkCAW

1 hour ago, pidgeonpost said:

I've read enough tales of folks fitting cheapies and then spending time and effort having to track down and fix wobbles, shimmies, warping, brake fade etc., that nowadays I can't be arsed. Cotswold did me a very reasonable deal when I bought from them. 

THIS!

Why cheap out on brakes.....esp when a friendly BMW dealer will help out too.