hi all, I have internet as an optional extra in my CIC and am able to connect my phone (Sony Xperia Z5, Xperia XZ2 and Samsung Galaxy A3 2016) to it no problem, but the internet doesn't actually work. It says "starting internet" or something and then hangs until eventually, it says "cannot connect to the internet, please try again later" 

Is there a workaround? Can one install an app on phone to tether the Bluetooth internet via an understood protocol by the vehicle? 

I have upgraded the CIC software to the 2014 version (latest)

I have enabled Bluetooth tethering on my device

I have restarted everything

I have disabled music and contacts and messages and only ticked Data on CIC

Anyone else having trouble connecting with their Android device to the internet? 

The option on your car would have expired long ago. You need a Connected Drive subscription with the Internet add-on. But you are wasting your time as the SIM in the car is only good for GPRS or maybe a very lowly 3G signal. I had this option and a live Connected Drive subscription for the first 2.5 years of ownership but never used Internet as it was just too slow.  

2 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

The option on your car would have expired long ago. You need a Connected Drive subscription with the Internet add-on. But you are wasting your time as the SIM in the car is only good for GPRS or maybe a very lowly 3G signal. I had this option and a live Connected Drive subscription for the first 2.5 years of ownership but never used Internet as it was just too slow.  

+1. GPRS in my 2012 F10 and remarkably BMW had got to 3G in my 2015 F10. But worth troubling yourself with it IMHO.

13 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I don't have Connected drive. It's CIC. There is no SIM according to me. 

You can no longer get this option on the F10, they decided not to allow anyone to renew their subscriptions.  But as others have said, it was unusable anyway.

1 hour ago, Ricky318i said:

I don't have Connected drive. It's CIC. There is no SIM according to me. 

I think you're confusing system (CIC) with function (Connected Drive). Once you have an active Connected Drive subscription, the Office menu will change to Connected Drive, had this on my 11 E90 back in 2014, was useless at that point, imagine it will be even more so now. 

35 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

I think you're confusing system (CIC) with function (Connected Drive). Once you have an active Connected Drive subscription, the Office menu will change to Connected Drive, had this on my 11 E90 back in 2014, was useless at that point, imagine it will be even more so now. 

Thanks - I will contact the dealership and ask if they can do anything about it. I will inform you guys. 

1 hour ago, Ricky318i said:

Thanks - I will contact the dealership and ask if they can do anything about it. I will inform you guys. 

I think you are missing the point here.

The dealership will not do anything for you

The place to look would be on BMW connected Drive Portal online

The service is no longer supported

The service was incredibly slow which would render it unusable in today's day and age

What are you not understating about "this will not work for you"?

The service is still supported and still working on my MY2012 car. Its too slow for browsing but still displays the weather, gives RTTI to the maps, lets you send destinations to the car from google etc. As well as the concierge services too.

13 hours ago, dandle said:

The service is still supported and still working on my MY2012 car. Its too slow for browsing but still displays the weather, gives RTTI to the maps, lets you send destinations to the car from google etc. As well as the concierge services too.

Mine too. Rerouting on maps has saved me from long jams on a number of occasions. 

23 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Mine too. Rerouting on maps has saved me from long jams on a number of occasions. 

I think there's some confusion because they turned the service off in the USA because the early cars used a network no longer supported by the phone companies. That hasn't happened in Europe though.

Have you got NBT or CIC? Many 2012 cars have NBT, 2010 like OP is all CIC where function is no longer available 

CIC on MY12 cars mine included. NBT wasn't introduced until Sept 2012 on the F10 which pretty much makes it a MY13 onward fit bar a few cars. 

It's definitely available, I'm not sure where you are getting your info.

Edited by dandle

On 09/11/2018 at 21:11, dandle said:

I agree, on my 2012 F11 I pay £120 per year and it gives me news, weather, RTTI on the maps and can send addresses to the car. Bu my iphone 6s pairing has stopped working properly and the add device does not add my phone - although it still pairs, can play music from the phone and can receive calls - but not make any -says phone not available.

Dave

I've just had my Audi subscription added for free for the internet and message/email dictation, reading the forums and they do it all the time so I sent an email off and I had a reply saying it would be added FOC.

1 hour ago, Davidjm said:

I agree, on my 2012 F11 I pay £120 per year and it gives me news, weather, RTTI on the maps and can send addresses to the car. Bu my iphone 6s pairing has stopped working properly and the add device does not add my phone - although it still pairs, can play music from the phone and can receive calls - but not make any -says phone not available.

Dave

Those are 'Connected Drive' not 'Internet Services'.  Internet services are just that, a browser that shows up on the car monitor, this is no longer offered in the UK.