GoNz0

Central gateway supply (terminal 15 missing)

I put a new battery in my E61 today, like for like BMW AGM, registered the change etc.

The only thing I did was connect a charger to the connections under the bonnet during to save the volatile settings.

After it was done I cleared down the codes relating to low voltage and all seemed ok but once the car is locked up and enters sleep I get the error "S 0706 Central gateway supply (terminal 15 missing)" if I scan the car after putting the key in and checking for fault codes.

Following the test plan it tells me to check fuse F124, kinda hard considering the fuses only make it to the 90's, after that it tells me to check "Supply- Junction Box Electronics"

Can anyone throw some light on this?

*edit, just to add, everything seems to work ok!

TIA.

Edited by GoNz0

Strange. Think I'd try disconnecting the battery, going for a coffee for 30 minutes or so then reconnecting to see if the error still exists. Could it be the IBS throwing a wobbly perhaps? What are the volatile settings that would be lost and are they a pain to reinstate?

Only mpg etc. Already lost those as I took it off for 5 minutes. Yeah I will take it off for a bit and have a look at the connections. Thanks.

Oh well, battery off for an hour with the jump leads shorting battery cable to earth during, still happened again :(

Anyone else have an idea on this one?

Not even sure what the central gateway supply is?

It could well be a module that send signals from the ecu to things like central locking or electric windows or the indicators or something. Have a proper check of all the electrical equipment and toys. 

A search when I got home suggests it might be this https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/BMW-E60-E61-KGM-High-D-can-Gateway-Module/1523308072 finds yours and check it's getting power.

Alternatively, someone had the same codes fucking up an auto gearbox repair. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1247098

Edited by Deviant

Thanks for taking the time to help, I am normally good at sorting my own problems but ISTA is being bloody useless on this one. Once the codes cleared I can cycle the ignition and it doesn't come back until I lock up and leave the car to go to sleep. I have obviously buggered something leaving a power supply on when swapping the battery, it tell me the error is current but will clear down the code.... This is the result of the test plan!

2018-11-06 (2).png

Had every fuse out today and not ones blown, also pulled and checked the relay in the rear fuse box as well just in case and that is fine, a good clean contact plate.

7 minutes ago, jake13 said:

No idea what model ISTA is looking at because there is no A4010/a JBE in E61 535D. In E91 it's located under the passenger glove box.

This, which looks suspiciously like that module I posted earlier. 

kTphr8P.jpg

2 minutes ago, Deviant said:

This, which looks suspiciously like that module I posted earlier. 

kTphr8P.jpg

The bottom section where the large plug and socket is referred to A4010a. However, if you search documents "A4010a" in E61 535D there is no such item

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e61-535d-tou/components-connectors/components/a-control-units-modules/

3 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Had every fuse out today and not ones blown, also pulled and checked the relay in the rear fuse box as well just in case and that is fine, a good clean contact plate.

When is the last time you scanned the car with ISTA and have you coded anything with NCS Expert?

26 minutes ago, jake13 said:

When is the last time you scanned the car with ISTA and have you coded anything with NCS Expert?

Only things that got coded were alarm chirp and speed display, since then the car was fully updated at my local indy using full ICOM kit connected to BMW I'm guessing 10 months ago and the guy put those back on after.

Nothing has been messed with since and the cars been scanned about 20 times in the past 3 days to see if it will go away. Once the car goPreview Postes to sleep and wakes up that codes back.

This is the code it pulls but I can't make sense of it. S 0706 Central gateway supply (terminal 15 missing)

On 07/11/2018 at 19:20, Deviant said:

A search when I got home suggests it might be this https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/BMW-E60-E61-KGM-High-D-can-Gateway-Module/1523308072 finds yours and check it's getting power.

Alternatively, someone had the same codes fucking up an auto gearbox repair. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1247098

I have a few of the latest ones in my basket as my motor had the last version fitted. I will take it out tomorrow and open it up to see if anything got fried during the battery swap.

As for that forum post, yeah I had found that but it isn't any help :(

28 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

This is the code it pulls but I can't make sense of it. S 0706 Central gateway supply (terminal 15 missing)

It says to me that the gateway module isn't getting power/switched on. Terminal 15 is a switched (ignition) positive feed, terminal 30 is a permanent positive feed. 

Search wider on Google for "bmw No voltage terminal 15".

Terminal 15 (ignition controlled), could point towards:

- faulty ingnition switch.

- faulty OBD2 diagnostic cable.

Edit: by no means obvious or clear cut, sadly.

Edited by DarkHorse

I know m8 I have spent a long time on this now, ISTA is giving the wrong info out for the S 0706 error, I can imagine the loom on BMW's face if they pulled this code out of my car, dumbstruck sounds about right :)

I may be onto something, spot the difference. 

Yes it is another car, my wifes mini. And the same fault.

Looks like the diagnostic cable is the reason and all I can think is the modified DLL that does fake voltage detection is to blame, I don't need to launch the voltage app and now ISTA can see when terminal 30 or 15 is on. This is the only thing that has changed since I had this issue, not to remove the modded DLL and see what happens.

2018-11-09.png

God damn it!

I ran the test with the ignition off and no module found, turn the ignition on and the modules found. This isn't a fault with the wifes car....

FFS.

I know you did but my brain didn't fire up until I plugged it into the mini this morning. What an absolute twat I feel now, but at least it didn't cost me more money :D

Tested the E61 with ignition on and guess what, no fault.

Edited by GoNz0

Glad you got it sorted :)

Error 42 strikes again!

Error 42: Insufficient User IQ.