Sign in to follow this  
Seesure

Odd noise while driving that appeared then disappeared.

Right, I'm really struggling with this noise - a similar sound appeared for about 10 seconds about a month back and at the time I thought it was one of the speakers being worked a bit hard...

However last night it happened again, 

No vibration felt 

Steering not affected

No loss of power

No obvious bits of lose body work 

No obvious bits of lose lower engine covers

Tyre pressures okay

No codes

No warning lights

Road surface did not alter

And windows closed

Sounded like it was coming from the offside front wheel area 

Any ideas or suggestions?

Edited by Seesure

Just now, d_a_n1979 said:

Check undertray fixings and maybe heat shields... Sounds, to me, that something is loose

That was my thought - I had a look today while the car was on the ground and it looked all secure, I'll have to get in on a ramp I think.

Cheers

That is a weird noise. It sounds a bit too rythmic and positive to be merely something like the undertray flapping about in the airflow. More as if something is catching somewhere on a part which is turning. Did it happen at the same sort of speed before? Hopefully you will find something out of place when you get the car up in the air.

12 hours ago, stevecvo said:

That is a weird noise. It sounds a bit too rythmic and positive to be merely something like the undertray flapping about in the airflow. More as if something is catching somewhere on a part which is turning. Did it happen at the same sort of speed before? Hopefully you will find something out of place when you get the car up in the air.

Previously it was about 20mph slower - so it doesn't appear to be speed related but what was odd was that as I slowed on Sunday night the noise didn't alter too much - it just disappeared. 

I thought about the guibo but there is no / was no vibration.

I've go to go to Southport tonight and back again tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see if it happens on the round trip. 

I don't know the M5 engine but on an M57 that sound can be caused by a failing crankshaft pulley although it is usually at low revs and I can't think why it should come and go.

Well after the 340 + mile round trip not a peep...

Mile after mile at 50ish through the bar steward M6 roadworks... mile after mile of crawling through the Oldbury viaduct roadworks... 40 miles of clear roads on the M50  and 50 miles plus of cross country A and B roads... 

I'm down to the last light before the next service so will leave it until then as it won't be long.

My 530d had a funny noise under acceleration recently and sounded like a baffle loose in the mid box.

Got it on the ramp at my local and the heat sheilding had come adrift dropping onto the propshaft connection at the diff !

The heat shields should be checked regularly as they are a aluminium construction held onto a steel car with steel nuts causing a galvanic reaction rotting the ally through and letting the sheilding drop mid car and back box.