cash_13

Upgrade to standard headlamps

High all, just bought my first F11 and first diesel a 2012 520 se after 12 years ownership of my E39 528se Touring and was wondering what you have fitted as an upgrade to replace the standard Halogen headlamps.. ( Adaptive not fitted )

Ideas please?

Prices?

Links?

Regards Lee

If you have auto levelling (as you have an F11) you really should look at changing to xenon/HID. You will have to have headlamp washers and self-levelling though to be legal. HUGE improvement over hooligan lamps !

Self levelling is standard on all F11's as far as I know and the GT one of the reasons I bought it as I tow a twin wheel pikey van for holidays lol

I have headlamp washers as well but why does that make it illegal not to have them?...?

Headlamp washers aren’t a necessity.

If they’re fitted, they must work. But if not, then they cannot be checked!

All headlamps emitting light exceeding 2000 lumens must have high pressure wash fitted apparently.

From section 4.1.6...

4.1.6 Headlamp cleaning devices

You must inspect vehicles first used on or after 1 September 2009 equipped with headlamp washers.

You can identify HID headlamps from:

• ‘DCR’ mark on the headlamp lens or body
  • an igniter module or inverter behind the headlamp
  • taking a few seconds to reach full intensity
  • a bluish tinge to the light

HID headlamps use high voltage. You should take care when inspecting these headlamps.

Defect Category
  1. Headlamp cleaning device:

1. inoperative
Minor
  1. inoperative in the case of LED or gas discharge systems (HID)
Major

Also from section 4.1.4 of the test...

Existing halogen headlamp units shouldn’t be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

... But you might get away with that if all other requirements are met.

11 hours ago, cash_13 said:

What about if my son in law is an MOT tester lol.... if its a safety problem I wouldnt 

Dazzling oncoming drivers is an issue. This is why when you buy the retrofit HID kit they will always come with a "For off-road use only" statement.

There is the law and you choose to abide by it or not. MOT testers are not going to spend time checking for all breaches of the law as they are against the clock.

23 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Dazzling oncoming drivers is an issue. This is why when you buy the retrofit HID kit they will always come with a "For off-road use only" statement.

There is the law and you choose to abide by it or not. MOT testers are not going to spend time checking for all breaches of the law as they are against the clock.

If the headlights are projectors; this won't happen and the direction of the light scatter can be fine-tuned

If they're OEM xenon headlight units being retrofitted; it won't be an issue

However, if they're standard reflector headlights, this is when issues can be causes, but there are HID xenon bulbs out there that have a patch on the bulb that stops the dazzle; ie. H7R.

But fitting a HID kit into headlights now, IIRC, by MOT standards, is a fail

So really, it's OEM or go home

There is a growing trend of uber bright lights around here, from boy racers in all sorts of shitmobiles to vans and even taxis have them now, all illegal imo if only for the way they dfazzle others.

Personally I'd crush every vehicle that fits these shitsville bulbs and dazzles others.

4 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

If the headlights are projectors; this won't happen and the direction of the light scatter can be fine-tuned

If they're OEM xenon headlight units being retrofitted; it won't be an issue

However, if they're standard reflector headlights, this is when issues can be causes, but there are HID xenon bulbs out there that have a patch on the bulb that stops the dazzle; ie. H7R.

But fitting a HID kit into headlights now, IIRC, by MOT standards, is a fail

So really, it's OEM or go home

LED in a projector is fine, and doesn't yet fall foul of the MOT regs which focus on HID retrofit.

4 minutes ago, bmwf113.0d said:

There is a growing trend of uber bright lights around here, from boy racers in all sorts of shitmobiles to vans and even taxis have them now, all illegal imo if only for the way they dfazzle others.

Personally I'd crush every vehicle that fits these shitsville bulbs and dazzles others.

Agree on the boy racer comment but I have to say some of the latest audi headlights are awfully bright. I'm surprised they get through type testing. I really dislike driving at night these days due to overly bright lights in general. The roads would be far safer if all headlights were dim, IMO.

My A7 has led fandango adaptive ones and I rarely get flashed, I feel they have a more definitive cut off height wise. They are cracking lights but don't seem as powerful as the F11 ones. 

There's a couple of new Qashquais (sp) near me and they are blinding. Also find the new minis very dazzling. 

I never said I was going to fit anything in particular illegal or not, I just wanted opinions on what people had successfully upgraded to..

As I have become older my eyes are not as good as they were and just wanted to be as safe as possible and required the more knowledgeable people on here to help.

My comment on the MOT test were followed by LOL ( you know funny har har lighten up ) ;-)