senoj

E39 530i SE Auto - 2001 - 122000 miles - Spares/repair

I am posting my E39 to gauge interest for a sale because I am moving house and the new place is a big project, so I'm going to be pressed for time to do the jobs the car needs to get it running sweetly. I've done a few jobs that a buyer would get the benefit of (replaced broken wing mirrors, fixed sticky brake caliper, new radiator etc, full service, new battery), but what with one thing and another, I've not done as much work on it as I intended nor driven it that much since buying it from another forum member in January 2017. I think I'm the fourth owner in all - original owner, forum member, then his dad, then me. I've tried to be as honest as possible with everything.

Specs etc

• Glacier Green
  • Black/wood trim interior
  • Staggered style 32 alloys
  • Cruise control
  • Parking sensors
  • Leather seats, electric seat adjustment
  • 6 CD autochanger
  • Satnav
  • Possibly other options I've missed out!
  • MOT due January 2019
  • Some service history

Good points

• Engine still generally good, pulls hard
  • Full service not that long ago including plugs, filters
  • New radiator etc. recently
  • Brand new battery just a couple of weeks ago
  • Electrics all good
  • No back end shimmy
  • Dash still usable, pixels not dead
  • Not full of rust (as far as I can see without having it up on a lift) - sills look pretty good underneath from a quick look
  • Alloys generally ok
  • Air-con blows cold
  • Generally drives, steers and stops ok!

Bad points

• Probably the main one is that the engine light just started coming on and it's having trouble idling after startup. It takes gentle revving for a few minutes after startup to get it going - if you leave it on idle it will generally stall during this startup period. Once running it seems to settle down and can be driven, and I haven't had it stall on me once it's past these initial startup issues. I suspect it might be a CCV related problem as I've done the test involving removing the oil cap with engine running, and there is slight resistance to lifting the cap, which from what I've read indicates a CCV fix is required
  • Minor oil leak, possibly associated with above issue
  • Acceleration from stationary a little uneven, again I suspect related to CCV issue
  • Rear numberplate light warning message showing and light not working - faulty loom connection probably as sometimes it does work
  • Few rust spots but nothing major - have tried to show these in photos. Two main ones are the (common) boot lid area just above numberplate, and the nearside front wheel arch
  • Crease in rear near side panel, but no paint breakage so no paint work required in fixing it
  • Exhaust heat shield corroded and resting on exhaust, so probably needs removing/replacing - from what I've read you can get away with just cutting it off and not replacing
  • Wing mirrors are black and therefore do not match car but to me it doesn't look so bad really. One of the original wing mirrors was broken and I couldn't find a direct replacement, so I just put on what I could find. I still have the original wing mirrors which can probably be fixed. I think these are the motorised folding ones (they are larger and more rounded than the ones on at present)
  • Right offside alloy probably the worst condition of the three in terms of kerbing, and could probably do with some attention
  • General scuffs and chips, but nothing major
  • Bit of condensation in the offside headlight
  • It's on 4 different tyres, one of which will need replacing within 500-1000 miles
  • I had new discs and pads not that long ago but was advised recently that the discs are now warped, but despite this it seems to be braking ok. I have a set of discs that I was going to have fitted but didn't get round to, and can include these in the sale
  • Ride possibly a bit fidgety so some new suspension consumables might be in order, but wonder if (age of) tyres may be involved also

Looking at the market I'm wondering if £1k-ish is achievable, though I'm realistic that my estimate might be inaccurate given condition etc., and I'm open to offers. I'm describing it as spares/repair to avoid any possible misunderstandings around the startup issue, but honestly I don't think it's anywhere near being on its last legs. If it doesn't go for a not-silly price I'll be taking it to my new home where it will get attended to in the brief moments where I'm not painting, repointing, removing asbestos, mowing, pruning etc etc..

Car is in West Sussex, near Brighton.

Cheers.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

P1060480.JPG

P1060481.JPG

P1060482.JPG

P1060484.JPG

P1060489.JPG

P1060497.JPG

P1060498.JPG

P1060499.JPG

P1060500.JPG

P1060507.JPG

Put 4 new tyres on it (all the same please), sort cam/crank sensor (probably the engine issue, not CCV) and keep the car.

Its a good motor with a good spec and needs some TLC and IMO, worth more than rust bucket money...! ;) 

I did try with an ANCEL AD310 but it wouldn't return anything. Is there something I need to do to put the car into diagnostic mode?

TBH I'm thinking about scrapping it! Been quoted £425 with collection, which would get rid of the hassle of dealing with buyers.

19 hours ago, senoj said:

TBH I'm thinking about scrapping it! Been quoted £425 with collection, which would get rid of the hassle of dealing with buyers.

Never scrapped a car so have no idea but....

Someone would be charging you £425 to come along to take away that car!!?? 

Wish you were a bit closer. If you were seriously wanting to entertain offers in that ballpark, I'd be willing to take a punt on this. I've done the CCV replacement on my 523i so I know what's involved now.

8 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Never scrapped a car so have no idea but....

Someone would be charging you £425 to come along to take away that car!!?? 

I would assume he'd be getting paid that, not having to pay it :)

Edited by chicaneuk

31 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

Wish you were a bit closer. If you were seriously wanting to entertain offers in that ballpark, I'd be willing to take a punt on this. I've done the CCV replacement on my 523i so I know what's involved now.

Yeah it's a real shame, I don't really want to let it go especially not to scrap but I've just got too much else going on. Open to offers.

i was in the same position a while back and got rid of my 530 that i bought on here, after two years of owning another car and realising i made a big mistake i now have it back, the car is in a right state but i wont part with it for all the money in the world these cars seem to get a hold on some of us.

17 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

Doh...! :oops:

Yes, I see what you mean...