Deviant

Petrol Engine thermostats.

We all know about diesel engine stat woes, but my N52 wants a new stat. The cabin doesn't get hot in comparison with regards to my old E46.  There are always between 3 or 4 lines before the redline depending on the time of year.  However, I've read that BMW used a higher pressure rad cap on the expansion tank and that lower temps and pressures can only be a good thing for my N52 without a temp gauge. So then do I suck it up and use the seat heater or do I change the stat and hope for a warmer cabin and better mpg? 

Edited by Deviant

Yes our petrol engine stats work as they should and last for years ! 

I think the previous owner replaced mine at some point. I've had it 6 years now and the temps are still as they should be.

Lack of a temp gauge is a pain, but if you react quickly to an iDrive / instrument cluster temp warning it shouldn't be an issue should it ?

Edited by Tuvoc

I find the temperature from a Cheap OBD2 HUD useful.

For reference (N53), recently in 2DegC mornings, the heater starts working above 50DegC after 2 miles (4mins).

Gets up to temperature ~94DegC after 5 miles (~12mins) into my mixed urban commute.
HUD reports ~98DegC on a run, 101-105DegC in traffic, once I saw 108DegC briefly.

Edit:

18 hours ago, Deviant said:

...always between 3 or 4 lines before the redline depending on the time of year.

I don't think I ever seen those rev markers move for an I6, perhaps with V8/M5s or maybe in temperature regions much lower than a UK winter.

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's and details

15 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes our petrol engine stats work as they should and last for years ! 

I think the previous owner replaced mine at some point. I've had it 6 years now and the temps are still as they should be.

Lack of a temp gauge is a pain, but if you react quickly to an iDrive / instrument cluster temp warning it shouldn't be an issue should it ?

It's asking for a new stat in carly/DTCs. I'll monitor temps and see how it goes. 

15 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

I find the temperature from a Cheap OBD2 HUD useful.

For reference (N53), recently in 2DegC mornings, the heater starts working above 50DegC after 2 miles (4mins).

Gets up to temperature ~94DegC after 5 miles (~12mins) into my mixed urban commute.
HUD reports ~98DegC on a run, 101-105DegC in traffic, once I saw 108DegC briefly.

Edit:

I don't think I ever seen those rev markers move for an I6, perhaps with V8/M5s or maybe in temperature regions much lower than a UK winter.

I thought those markers go completely at normal temp. Three is the lowest I've seen in the summer whilst giving it the beans.  OBD2 monitoring it is then. 

what is this redline?

I found my E60 heater system (n53) to have worked really well, as good as my e46. Recently had the radiator changed and its seems the system wasn't fully bleed because on idle the heater would occasionally blow cold air, which i think was an air trap, because if I revved the engine the cold spot would go away. 

Took it back to the garage today and had them re-bleed the system, the heater seems much better now, but more driving required to be 100% certain. 

2 hours ago, Mr_530i said:

what is this redline?

I found my E60 heater system (n53) to have worked really well, as good as my e46. Recently had the radiator changed and its seems the system wasn't fully bleed because on idle the heater would occasionally blow cold air, which i think was an air trap, because if I revved the engine the cold spot would go away. 

Took it back to the garage today and had them re-bleed the system, the heater seems much better now, but more driving required to be 100% certain. 

If you look at the rev counter there is a moving bar from about 5500rpm which is a moving redline and increases to the 7000 rpm as the car warms up.

I've flushed the heater matrix when I replaced the water valve trying to cure the lack of heat. 

5 hours ago, Mr_530i said:

what is this redline?

N53 3.0i I6, my temp limit lines never move from this:

image.thumb.png.bf3836ef19629919413607ed3de3bb55.png

This video illustrates the extended cold rev limiter production built into the latest versions of our E9x M3 and E6x M5 performance software.

Edited by DarkHorse