gine39530d

Rattling engine noise

That noise is normal from the oil cap. If there is a clicking when it's closed, I'd suggest looking at the crank pulley. That's what went on mine, you may even be able to see some movement as it spinning.

1 hour ago, gine39530d said:

don't be so depressing, M57 is a reliable engine right?

I got 308k on it, will it last extra 100k?

At your rate, no

1 minute ago, d_a_n1979 said:

At your rate, no

Ha ha! 

You're missing the point there dan! It’ll be like triggers brush! 

But held together with sticky tape and condoms....

:lol:

The M57 is a strong unit and with proper maintenance should see 300,000 miles or more. I assume you are quoting kilometres and so you are at about 185000 miles which is nothing for this engine if -and it is a big if- it is properly looked after with regular oil and filter changes, preferably at half the mileage intervals recommended by BMW. The noise you are experiencing probably comes from a worn camshaft lobe or a faulty hydraulic lifter.

6 hours ago, stevecvo said:

The M57 is a strong unit and with proper maintenance should see 300,000 miles or more. I assume you are quoting kilometres and so you are at about 185000 miles which is nothing for this engine if -and it is a big if- it is properly looked after with regular oil and filter changes, preferably at half the mileage intervals recommended by BMW. The noise you are experiencing probably comes from a worn camshaft lobe or a faulty hydraulic lifter.

so my engine is dying already?

If it's just a lifter, then no.. replacement of hydraulic lifters on some engines is a reasonably routine piece of maintenance (albeit a bit of a pain as of course cam shafts need to come out to swap them), but certainly in my experience with BMW, they rarely ever seem to need changing!

I have just taken the oil filler cap off my 225000 miles M57 engine while it was running and I was surprised to hear the extent to which the noise level from the motor increased. I guess the cover with the filler cap off acts like a trumpet to capture and transmit the top end noise. In my case the extra noise level was more of a general diesel clonk rather than the metallic tap on your engine but the level of any wear in your valve train may be quite low. Also I have no experience of a noisy injector but I have to say I would be a bit surprised if it sounded like the noise you have. No doubt people with more experience of problems with the M57 will be able to comment. On reflection I would be inclined not to worry too much if I were you. At 185000 miles your engine is past the first flush of youth and you have to expect some wear and tear.