GStarrr

F10/F11 heating, or lack of!

Looking for some pointers, had my 2013 F11 520d for about 7 weeks now. The weather has now got colder and the heating system is woeful. Even on max setting of 27 degrees, there is barely any heat. Also with the centre vent dial at the max red. Surely this cannot be correct? All my previous BMWs all had excellent heating systems in the winter. 

Are thermostats a common failure on the N47 2.0d? Hence the lack of heat. Or is it something else causing this? 

I would also try cleaning the little vent fans on the climate system, just incase they are full of fluff and the climate is thinking it's warmer than it is. 

Are the fans running at full speed?

Yes the heat should come through pretty quickly I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the heater gets hot wife and I were concerned with being a diesel may take ages to warm up. 5min I would say at current outside temp you can feel warm to hot air come through.

I do have have a concern though the windshield fogs over a few seconds as though there is a lot of humidity then you hear the fan adjust and air comes up to  the windshield and clears do not like that makes me think something not right. Almost as though air con has been on etc and then switched off but i always look to see air con is off.

Also on the E39 you could leave fan on auto and select position of air feet body etc new one only allows full auto or manual. Myn is the basic climate control which could be why. 

I too have felt my 525d (2.0 engine) is slow to heat up recently. I suspect the thermostat, replacements are cheap as they're just the thermostat insert and a gasket.

Thanks guys. I did think this wasn’t right. So will plan on getting the thermostat changed ASAP. Otherwise it’s going to be a cold and miserable car to drive through the winter.

How long does it take for the car to warm up fully?

You can hold down the trip button while engine is running and it will show all of your temps in digital format.

Edited by Enzo503

My 520d heats up quite nicely tbh..

Do you leave the AC button on? 

AC is always on in mine, temp set to 24 with centre dial on red, warms up very quickly, then dial it down to 21 for the drive!

Temp gauge in the F10 is an oil temp gauge. 

IMG-3770.jpg

Thats an oil can.

Not relevant here but mine will take about 10 miles to get to this position. Very dependent on outside air temp esp in Scotland where you can get nearly a 40 deg C range!

Ah my mistake, I just checked, it is indeed an oil temp gauge.  Anyhow you can access your water temps by holding down the trip button while engine is running.

Edited by Enzo503

6 hours ago, apples12 said:

My 520d heats up quite nicely tbh..

Do you leave the AC button on? 

AC is always on in mine, temp set to 24 with centre dial on red, warms up very quickly, then dial it down to 21 for the drive!

Uses much more fuel I just use it if I get condensation or stuffy feeling in cabin or obviously when it it’s hot

ahh miss the heat relflective wind screen and DG windows lol

A word of caution - Can cause the gaskets to dry out in the system if not used for long periods. The refrigerant contains a certain amount of oil that keeps everything lubricated. 

56 minutes ago, mudd786 said:

Uses much more fuel I just use it if I get condensation or stuffy feeling in cabin or obviously when it it’s hot

ahh miss the heat relflective wind screen and DG windows lol

Is it really that much more? 

Having had to replace the AC pump on a previous golf due to lack of use I think the cost of repair when it goes wrong offsets the marginal increase in fuel consumption!

14 hours ago, Enzo503 said:

How long does it take for the car to warm up fully?

You can hold down the trip button while engine is running and it will show all of your temps in digital format.

Thats the thing it never really heats up properly especially in my 20 odd min cross country drive to the park and ride I use. Also the centre dial only gives any heat at the max, any slight turn of the centre dial in the opposite direction just blasts out very cold air. Again I never had this problem with any e39 or e34........

5 hours ago, Enzo503 said:

I would have that checked.   I only run mine at 19c and my car is kept at a nice level.   Takes about 5-10 mins of needing the heated seat.

I plan to!

#shouldhaveboughtanA6Avant :lol:

Stupid question but have you checked coolant levels and run the autobleed routine? Dealer failed to bleed mine after an egr change and you could almost hear the air being pushed through the heater matrix. 

Ignition only on, press and hold the gas pedal for about 10 seconds then you'll hear the electric water pump kick in...runs for about 10 minutes.

On 03/11/2018 at 14:16, apples12 said:

Is it really that much more? 

Having had to replace the AC pump on a previous golf due to lack of use I think the cost of repair when it goes wrong offsets the marginal increase in fuel consumption!

yes it adds a huge load to the engine 15 - 20 % consumption i remember reading,

Hence why most green info is if your at  slow speeds and its warm just put your window down as your stop starting and this has a huge drag on the engine.

imagine the efficiency bmw have tried to obtain by omitting a belt driven steering pump, making it electric and a steering pump is tiny in comparison. On motorway as the engine is already at a decent torque level use the AC esp as opening a window will cause more drag hitting the efficiency harder.

yes your totally correct you must use the air con just keep it healthy but just pop it on now and then on motor way. My nephews 330D compressor was leaking and the garage found it to be the shaft seal at the front he said thats where they go if they havent been used enough that seal dries up and flattens allowing the refrigerant to escape 

I had my e39 for 9 - 10 years just used ac when it was a boiling hot day or really stuffy and occasionally during winter to keep it operational .

I don't think the overall consumption hit will be anything like 20%. Air conditioning typically takes around 4bhp equivalent I think, so a biggish hit on a small engine but not on most BMWs. Also the reason for BMW's setup is so that the load can be reduced depending on the degree of cooling required. I'd guess (complete guess!) that in the winter months when the incoming air is cool the load due to the aircon is likely to be down in the few %, and maybe nearer 5% in an average summer depending a lot on inside and outside temperatures.

Interesting, in my experience in having BMW's over the years is that these cars as a brand are the best I have owned where running with AC on is concerned. I have had other brands that you can see the consumption difference clearly in the figures etc, but, with BMW's the consumption changes with AC on are extremely minimal if at all noticeable.

Tracked the water coolant temp this morning via the hidden menu and it reached 90 degrees in 14 mins of driving and stayed at that temp. So it isn’t the thermostat that is preventing cabin heat <_< so back to the drawing board as to what is up with the heating system....... :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, mudd786 said:

yes it adds a huge load to the engine 15 - 20 % consumption i remember reading,

Hence why most green info is if your at  slow speeds and its warm just put your window down as your stop starting and this has a huge drag on the engine.

imagine the efficiency bmw have tried to obtain by omitting a belt driven steering pump, making it electric and a steering pump is tiny in comparison. On motorway as the engine is already at a decent torque level use the AC esp as opening a window will cause more drag hitting the efficiency harder.

yes your totally correct you must use the air con just keep it healthy but just pop it on now and then on motor way. My nephews 330D compressor was leaking and the garage found it to be the shaft seal at the front he said thats where they go if they havent been used enough that seal dries up and flattens allowing the refrigerant to escape 

I had my e39 for 9 - 10 years just used ac when it was a boiling hot day or really stuffy and occasionally during winter to keep it operational .

interesting...

well my 520d tends to spend the vast majority of its life pootling along the M42 and M40 so should be alright!