stevepoulter

F10 520d 2010 Won't Start

I can't seem to get to the bottom of my problem. I hope someone can help me.
Yesterday I used my car and it was running roughly, it sounded like a loud vibration when accelerating, fine when idle, although it did sound louder than it usually does when idle (but this maybe because I was hearing alsorts as I was concerned). I came home and checked oil levels, loose parts in the engine compartment, coolant levels etc. I ran the car again, gave it a few revs and it seemed to sound better. So I decided to do a test drive. I got 10 meters off my drive and the car cut out whilst driving. Since then it won't start. When pressing the ignition the starter turns but it will not start. I got it back on the drive, checked battery voltage and that is fine. Plugged the vehicle into ESATA and it is showing NO errors. All green with no fault codes. Once when I tried to start the car it came up with fuel pump error on the CIC screen, only once but this has never come back when I have tried to start the car. I have been told by someone that ESATA will not pick up a fuel pump fault so this could be the culprit. I have accessed the fuel pump under rear passenger bench and checked the power to the pump, obviously when the car is off the is no voltage, when I crank there is 12v. So I assume the fuel module in the boot is ok. My questions is, how do I test this fuel pump without buying a new one just to see if it fixes the problem, I don't want to speak £200 if it is pointless.Does this fuel pump emit an obvious sound when working,i.e. if I feed it power could I hear it running without removing it. Is there anything else that could be causing this fault? Is there a chance it is the High Pressure Fuel Pump under the hood and how do I test this too. I have little experience working on cars but I can do slightly more than basics. Your input is very much appreciated

Do you mean you plugged into Ista?

if so then you can check HP pressure and test in tank pump, how many miles has it done?

Yes I use ISATA (novice mind you)

I have run a fuel bleed with ISATA and the fuel pump in tank is running fine, whirring away whilst the test is running. I ran it about 4 times but the car still won't start.

How do I check HP pressure? 

Many thanks for your input

Sorry forgot to answer, It's done 90k.

An update:

I ran ISATA and two faults have now come up

Crankshaft sensor failure. No Input

Rail pressure too low

That's them roughly

When I clear these codes and run again it is clear again

HP Pressure I would assume is High Pressure of the fuel line.  The pump in the fuel tank will be your feeder or low pressure pump and you will have a high pressure pump on the engine. 

But going back to the sound the engine made before it failed.   If the sound was a "clack", quite a loud metallic vibration, then as Andrew suggests I would start looking at the timing chain.

Many threads and posts about this issue on your engine.     

Any failing part along the fuel line and you would have felt a loss of power along with the noise you heard... was this the case?

There was no metallic sounds just a weird slight vibration. Like something was loose and rattling, almost like rushing air when engine revved. The engine cover was loose and not clipped into the bracket holes properly and after I clipped this in properly that seemed to stop the noise.

I didn't notice any loss in power during the day, obviously when it cut out I lost all power.

How do I check HP pressure?

Edited by stevepoulter

9 hours ago, stevepoulter said:

Like something was loose and rattling, almost like

.....your timing chain.  

10 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

What age is the car?

I'm thinking it's N47 with a timing chain issue. It's lost its timing due to chain wear.

The plastic chain guides are weak on the 2.0d units and they are a known common fault.  It is difficult to rule out a fuel line problem online though if the engine was running roughly and made a noise but then to be told it was the plastic engine cover.

The high pressure fuel pump can of course fail.  This is however less common then a] it used to be and b] the chain guides.    It will throw up lots of error codes I would imagine, like rail pressure low and such like as this system has a few sensors.   The sensors themselves can be at fault too..

I believe Ista has the options to check fuel line pressures etc.   I am not that far into Ista myself yet but you could check this in DIS so I imagine you can in ista.   A quick search on a search engine shows that this these tests can be done.

Worst case Scenario is that the chain has come off completely.  However you would of noticed this instantly with the engine running, there would of been some sort of bang.  Also while trying to start the engine now, the engine would spin quicker then normal and make a distinguishable noise.

The cheapest way out of this scenario is a new or recon engine.

Next would be that the chain has jumped a few teeth.   You may have gotten away with not bending any of the valves but the issue here is in BMW's wisdom, they put the chain at the rear of the engine, underneath the front windscreen.

BMW main dealers and most garages will take the engine out completely to do this work.  Costs invariably rack up.   The job can be done by just lowering the rear of the engine enough to gain access to the chain system but it is still a labour intensive job.

As mentioned above I would guess around the 1k -1.5k mark.  BMW main agent would probably want double - triple this amount.

I would advise getting the car diagnosed properly first in any case.  If it is found to be a timing chain issue, I would then call BMW UK and see what they say on the matter.

You mention you replaced the crankshaft sensor.  Is this because it kept throwing up a fault code?   After replacement, does it still throw up the same code?

Yes I replaced the crankshaft sensor as the fault came up, I reset the fault and re ran with the new sensor and it came up again. So I put the old one back in.

I haven't got breakdown, looks like I will have to buy it and make a claim in three/four days. I know, naughty.

Ok will do. Probably won't help as I just SORN the vehicle, so probably better to wait

Thanks

Is there anyway ISATA can diagnose a timing chain issue?

There was no loud bang, nothing the engine just died on my whilst driving. Like it was starved of fuel, no abrupt stop.

Part of my is wondering whether the fuel I just put in literally 5 mins before was faulty from Asda.

The car had 5 miles left in the tank so I put £30 in at Asda. It cut out 2 minutes after filling up.

Didn't realise there were two different sensors, camshaft and crankshaft sensors.

I replaced the camshaft sensor and that made no difference.

Tomorrow I'll try crankshaft, how easy is this to do, seems straightforward.

Fingers crossed this is the issue

5 hours ago, stevepoulter said:

Ok will do. Probably won't help as I just SORN the vehicle, so probably better to wait

Thanks

Is there anyway ISATA can diagnose a timing chain issue?

There was no loud bang, nothing the engine just died on my whilst driving. Like it was starved of fuel, no abrupt stop.

Part of my is wondering whether the fuel I just put in literally 5 mins before was faulty from Asda.

The car had 5 miles left in the tank so I put £30 in at Asda. It cut out 2 minutes after filling up.

if you have breakdown cover this would be a good thing to check my nephew filled up at a unknown petrol station car drove a few mile stopped dead after it spluttered and ran rough. AA man found in the end fouled fuel. was gritty and sandy looking my nephew said after he had it removed and cleaned out. After that been running ok.

Hes car is a 330d 2010.

I hope its something as simple as this for you.

I had my chain replaced about a month ago cost was £850 

a place called auto solutions in East Kilbride obviously depending where you are based

totally transformed my car 

mine was rattling and I caught it early 

Just tested the voltage again on the camshaft sensor.

I took the camshaft plug off and there are three pins

Pin 1 - 5v

Pin 2 - Signal pin so nothing

Pin 3 - 12v (Shouldn't this be earth!)

Am I supposed to be getting 12v on one of the pins.  Can anyone who has tested this in the past confirm please.

Online most Hall type sensors have three pins with voltage - signal - earth. 

Something not right here

So it's seems I have either 5v or 12v on my supposedly Ground connection.

I am confused, this ground comes from the DDE and if that was faulty I would have all sorts of fault codes.

Can anyone confirm that there is supposed to be an earth

Edited by stevepoulter