Is it me, or does it seem like tailgating on motorways is becoming much more prevalent, I don't pretend to know the answer, is it my car has ABS, collision Avoidence, so I cannot crash, more conjestion on the motorways, more people in a hurry, or just more agressive drivers in general.

I was cruising up the outside lane of the M6 overtaking a long run of cars in the middle lane, a Merc appeared in my mirror, but not up my arse, he maintained a gap of about 4 saloon car lengths behind me, and didn't close or reduce the gap, after I had finnished overtaking I pulled in, and the Merc then sailed past. I acknowledged him with my hand as he went past, and he did the same with his indicators.

It stuck in my mind because it is not normally what happens.Tailgating is the norm now, yes/no?

I hope that we are all aware of the road safety saying, and meaning of;

'' Only a Fool Breaks the 2 Second Rule''.

"I cannot crash" that's a brave statement...

I appreciate you mean into the rear of someone but I also think people become cocooned in their nice plush cars with all the safety features so become complacent regarding safety.

I do c25k pa and have done for the past 20 years or so and I'm by no means the best driver on the road, nor would I be so brash to think I was as I've driven like a tool in the past and it's only luck imo that has kept me alive in some situations. 

I'm sure we'd all agree the quality of driving on the roads today is shocking, right from the city drivers through the motorways.

I'm a big advocate of leaving a reasonable gap (but the first to admit it's not always 2 seconds), and even if someone inevitably see's it as an invitation to pull out on me then so be it, personally I am lucky enough to rarely, if ever, be in a rush to get somewhere with work and I just feel sorry for the plebs that have to rush around everywhere as that must be a pretty shit life.

Just my 2p worth of course.

2 hours ago, vanhool said:

I hope that we are all aware of the road safety saying, and meaning of;

I actually remember the original PSA.

Yes, it is becoming more prevalent, along with overtaking on the left.

I am looking forward to (hopefully) retiring in three years time and thus ending my c. 25,000 mile p.a. commutes. With that, I may even hang up my car keys.

Edited by e60neindanke

Yes tailgating IS becoming more prevalent along with left hand overtaking.

This is where you have to have eyes in the back of your head spec when pulling back into a slower lane.

Oh for a roof mounted rpg.

From a truck driver's perspective, I don't really mind if people undertake. But if you creep up the inside and sit level or slightly forward of the cab, you really cannot be seen any more. So we all know what is going to happen when the truck driver decides he should observe lane discipline and get over to the left. The knowledge that it was his fault isn't going to be much of a consolation.

No criticism of anyone's driving was intended or implied in the writing of this post  :)

4 hours ago, vanhool said:

I've been trying to reinforce this in my own driving as it's so easy to drift into a sort of 'autopilot' state where the gap closes almost imperceptibly. And often when you have a nice sensible gap someone will come and fill it for you.

But yes, tailgating is crazy and getting worse. I sometimes wonder whether the blue and white roundel invites it.

Edited by pidgeonpost

About a month ago they started ad campaigns of the dangers of tailgating.  Don't seem to be working

They also should do one for undertaking.

The M25 was bad but now just awful.  I say if someone places the pin of a compass at the City of London and draws a circle and the circumference starts from Bishop Stortford then constant bad driving anytime of the day, but worst during rush hours, school holidays (apart from the Christmas week to the New Year), and from about 16:00 on a Friday to the early hours of Monday morning.

I have noticed that some people are tailgating because when cars are undertaking they will steel their gap to brake safely.  Meaning to avoid the brake distance to be stolen from an undertaking car therefore they tailgate instead and risk their safety

The further away I am from London better the driving but that is even starting to change now.

Edited by nealpina
Edit: typo and added more text

4 minutes ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

And 9 out of 10 times it's an Audi.

In my experience it's usually a Merc - the giveaway stupid LED lights at the front looming in my mirror. I'm quite happy to give way and let them pass because let's be honest - would you want a tw@ like that behind you?

Yes, it is annoying when someone fills your safe gap between the car in front, especially if they have undertaken, yield, and don't rise to the challenge, then get home safe, and alive.I would rather have a knobhead driver in front of me than behind.

17 minutes ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

And 9 out of 10 times it's an Audi.

With the above example I gave with the compass.  It is all types of cars from a old banger, and today it was a Bentley Continental GT

the standard of driving on any road is poor at best, mostly it's just about acceptable. My biggest bug bear is people who choose to drive vastly below the speed limit on any road when there is no reason to do so (adverse weather, heavy traffic). 

Multi carriage way roads bring the same gripes as above lane hogging/tail gating/under taking/mirrors not being used/lack of awareness/ etc etc. IMO the main cause of these bouts of bad driving is lane hogging. If someone refuses to move from a lane (usually the outside land)  despite all lanes being clear to the left of them, the only way to pass is on the left. If no one does so you will end up with miles of tail backs/rolling road block until the eejit moves. My take on passing on the left, is that if there is room for this to happen, then there is room for the vehicle to be driving in the lane to the left. 

Bring in mandatory motorway lessons/driving licenses to educate the masses and make the roads a better place to drive. 

1 hour ago, nealpina said:

The further away I am from London better the driving

Lot of truth in that, and there's virtually no courtesy or manners. Happen to get in the wrong lane through being unfamiliar with the area and God help you...!  :evil:

36 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

the standard of driving on any road is poor at best, mostly it's just about acceptable. My biggest bug bear is people who choose to drive vastly below the speed limit on any road when there is no reason to do so (adverse weather, heavy traffic). 

Multi carriage way roads bring the same gripes as above lane hogging/tail gating/under taking/mirrors not being used/lack of awareness/ etc etc. IMO the main cause of these bouts of bad driving is lane hogging. If someone refuses to move from a lane (usually the outside land)  despite all lanes being clear to the left of them, the only way to pass is on the left. If no one does so you will end up with miles of tail backs/rolling road block until the eejit moves. My take on passing on the left, is that if there is room for this to happen, then there is room for the vehicle to be driving in the lane to the left. 

Bring in mandatory motorway lessons/driving licenses to educate the masses and make the roads a better place to drive. 

I do anywhere from 30-35k pa,. Pretty much mostly on the M40 between Birmingham and Banbury/Oxford. 

I'm a relatively new driver, having been on the road for about 7-8 years, my conclusion is simple. People are not taught how to drive on the motorway and will either drive to what they're comfortable/feel safe doing (middle lane hogging/60mph in middle/outside lane, constantly pressing the brake to slow down in the outside lane) but none of it is right! Very rarely will you see a 2s gap on the M40.

On undertaking, pretty much as you said, if there's room for someone to undertake you, you're in the wrong lane!

Biggest bug bear at the moment is the complete idiot's who see a tiny bit of mist and feel it's the conditions to drive with front and rear fogs on! 

Throw in doing 60-70 in the outside lane with a clear middle lane and it's a recipe for frustration and accidents!

Having problems with the M4 at the mo. Missus drives it 95% of the time, and is constantly harrassed.

I was driving into Maldon the other day, and saw the missus coming out, with a van about 6” off her bumper.

I did a u turn and phoned her, told her to give it a squirt, which enabled me to get behind, hence Lewis Vanilton now being behind me.

Managed to stop him at the Oak roundabout, and when approaching his window, all of a sudden, he can’t see me, despite the luminous froth coming out of my mouth. Missus had spun round and explained to me i was being a dick, which i was, but i think the M4 needs to go, or i’ll be doing a 10 stretch.

On motorways, i use lanes 2/3/4 to overtake, and pull back into the next empty lane. I’m usually doing 80-85, so of i get some knob harrasing, i ignore, knowing i’m the better driver. 

Edited by roofer

I suffered from being tailgater thru a 30mph restriction. I did 30 and folk didn't like it.

I posted on here and got some good advice.

Stay calm don't let them get to you. It's them in the wrong. Deep breaths and concentrate on the road in front as you then need to allow extra braking distance. It really helped and I was much happier when it happens. Until I got driven into from behind, although that wasn't due to a tailgater, just a twat in a Peugeot who wasn't paying attention, but it makes me look more in my rear view mirror. 

But the main issue I think is the lack of police on the road.

Got so badly tailgated late at night on a single track road in N Wales that we stopped and i went to ask what the rush was. The two ladies driving seemed a bit surprised but they were so close and with our kids in the back it was taking the piss and dangerous if we'd had to stop quickly. 

On 01/11/2018 at 18:54, bmwf113.0d said:

Whilst I don't condone it, I can see why people resort to undertaking, the amount of people who don't drive to the left is astonishing. 

If only there were police around to enforce lane hogging. 

I undertook about 10 cars in one go yesterday, just by doing 70/75 in lane 2.

As a North of the Border chap I was stunned at the tail gating taking place on the Motorways down south. Its out of control and we constantly seen when the wet weather was torrential. We moved into the inside lane when lunatics of all types of car were tailgating above 70mph.Im confident driver but I want to live.... 

So many years ago, my driving instructor a Police instructor making extra at the weekends instilled in me that the danger to yourself always comes from behind, what's in front is mostly under your control. I of course as a seventeen year old interpreted this as on a motorway drive as fast as you can maintaining your braking distance with the car in front , but ensuring that car behind just can't get too close. Of course these days *cough* at 50 I just pull over and let them pass.

But the number of drivers who just don't use their mirrors is unbelievable !

Many of the issues we see are primarily due to the lack of visible policing of the roads....

Binary enforcement of speed limits using cameras of covers 1 element of driving and has nothing to do with road craft.

Tailgating, lack of correct lane usage, using phones without hands free etc can ALL be done with a very low risk of getting caught...hence it is becoming more prevalent as basically drivers couldn't really care less these days...

Also since when has it become de rigueur to drive along Motorways and dual carriageways with full beam on all the time...? The amount of people that do this is incredible - selfish ***s  

Even last night on a local road I had someone wanting to squeeze past some parked cars coming towards me who had full beam on in a built up area... and I have to admit that after dealing with 170 miles of twats, roadworks and more twats coming down the M6 and M5, I was less that happy so I pulled across a bit to make him stop while I put my full beams on in front of him.... eventually he got the message and dipped his lights but the was no apology or acknowledgment as we passed each other...