1 hour ago, Seesure said:

Many of the issues we see are primarily due to the lack of visible policing of the roads....

Binary enforcement of speed limits using cameras of covers 1 element of driving and has nothing to do with road craft.

Exactly.  I've always said that you can drive safely whilst exceeding the speed limit, and equally you can drive dangerously whilst driving below the speed limit. But it's easier and cheaper to just stick a camera up and watch the cash come rolling in.

1 hour ago, Seesure said:

Also since when has it become de rigueur to drive along Motorways and dual carriageways with full beam on all the time...? The amount of people that do this is incredible - selfish ***s 

This is something I've never understood. In my job I often have to drive a van to Acton in the early hours and you see it every time. You shouldn't need main beam on a motorway full stop, it's a long straight road with no bends ffs.

8 minutes ago, RightHandGoose said:

Society has been forced into selfishness, long hours and risk taking attitudes. No matter how many Police are put back into the Force will not stop it. 

I would replace forced with brainwashed ... It's the little waves from the much bigger agenda seen during the last 40 years.

The Police are more keen on cash collecting and other issues these days ....  Real crime is just too much trouble now unless the local bank gets robbed.

Driving across Europe like I do many times a year its actually quite amusing to see how different countries have different problems on the motorways.

Germany for instance will be hair raising for anyone who is less then 100 percent confident in driving.  Some of the closing speeds from the outside lanes to the middle lanes.   The flip side, no lane hogging or very little as you would be mad to stay out there.  They have on the whole immaculate autobahns and roads in general.  I enjoy driving through Germany, some of the rush hour work can be mind boggling though.

Belgium and France and the lane hogging becomes a little more noticeable and the off shoot is you also get a little more tailgating.   The roads here are also quite good.  Again I enjoy driving through these countries, you get the odd idiot here and there but they are easily dealt with.

Even Poland has a nice motorway.  Here they are overly aggressive and a bit blinkered however.  If you are passing a lorry, they will close up to your boot and as I see it ask you to move over before you have made your pass.  But again minimal lane hogging so frustrations are kept low-ish. 

In the UK the lane hogging is horrendous along with the quality of the roads.   

Edited by Enzo503

On 29/11/2018 at 00:52, Enzo503 said:

Driving across Europe like I do many times a year its actually quite amusing to see how different countries have different problems on the motorways.

Germany for instance will be hair raising for anyone who is less then 100 percent confident in driving.  Some of the closing speeds from the outside lanes to the middle lanes.   The flip side, no lane hogging or very little as you would be mad to stay out there.  They have on the whole immaculate autobahns and roads in general.  I enjoy driving through Germany, some of the rush hour work can be mind boggling though.

Belgium and France and the lane hogging becomes a little more noticeable and the off shoot is you also get a little more tailgating.   The roads here are also quite good.  Again I enjoy driving through these countries, you get the odd idiot here and there but they are easily dealt with.

Even Poland has a nice motorway.  Here they are overly aggressive and a bit blinkered however.  If you are passing a lorry, they will close up to your boot and as I see it ask you to move over before you have made your pass.  But again minimal lane hogging so frustrations are kept low-ish. 

In the UK the lane hogging is horrendous along with the quality of the roads.   

One of the problems is that after Holland, I think, the UK has the highest population density of all EU countries, and as such there is less room, and more congestion on our motorway. A lot of the French and German motorways are still 2 lane, go figure.

We are now even robbing a lot of hard shoulder safety/breakdown  lanes M6, M25, to create 4 lane motorways.

8 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

One of the problems is that after Holland, I think, the UK has the highest population density of all EU countries, and as such there is less room, and more congestion on our motorway. A lot of the French and German motorways are still 2 lane, go figure.

We are now even robbing a lot of hard shoulder safety/breakdown  lanes M6, M25, to create 4 lane motorways.

O I agree,  I drive to Alkmaar once or twice a year.    Due to population density Traffic can get quite heavy, I still find the Antwerp Ring one of the more busier parts of the journey along with maybe Schiphol.       Lane hogging however is still no where near as bad as the uk.  10-20% maybe if I had to put a figure on it. 

Why is that?

Maybe Dutch wooden bicycles are the answer?

20170707_220813.jpg