jimbo7stars

520i auto radiator

I'm having trouble getting hold of one of these. Does anyone have a spare i could buy? or a nudge in the right direction as to where i could source one. I've had a good look online, and i can only find one for up to 1984 model mines a 1987 on a D reg.

Thanks in advance, 

Jim 

If you get stuck, you can use one from a E36

There shed loads available on autodoc https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/radiator-parts-10203/bmw/5er-reihe/5-e28/229-525-e These are for an eta but are exactly the same.

Edit: Not sure why the forum software is not recognising a web address. It used to. Just cut and paste it anyway.

Edited by JohnH

I think that's for a manual. The auto ones are much, much harder to find. The benevolent souls at the Motoren Werke will rape you for well over £500 for a rad and Nissens no longer make one at all. The 'late 84 onwards ones are a slightly different depth due to the deeper front apron iirc. The other thing with these are those bastard trans cooler pipes that screw into the base of the rad. After 10-30 years, they really don't like being undone - prepare to replace both pipes if they are as rusty as they normally are.

I think Tim misread - the E34 M50 and E36 rads are very similar, E28 ones are totally different. 

Just about to change the transmission cooling pipes on the Zobelbraun Eta as one has developed a pin hole leak.  As has been said earlier they are rotten.  surprised they have held up for 33 years.

The good news is that all the parts are still available from the main stealers and still quite plentiful so there is no need to panic buy.  That said I will change out the Diamantschwartz Eta's transmission cooling pipes when I replace the timing belt and water pump over the course of the winter.  Just ordered a second complete set of transmission cooling pipes for this planned activity.

Regards,

Mick

22 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

I think Tim misread - the E34 M50 and E36 rads are very similar, E28 ones are totally different. 

I have fitted an E36 318i rad to mine. You just need the 325i cross pipe because the inlets and outlets are arse about face for an E28. I did change the water pump to the one without the header tank inlet pipe, but I think you can just use the standard pump and close off the header inlet.  I also blocked the E36 heater inlet/outlet on the bottom of the combined header tank. you can just see it next to the blue bleeder. This rad was for a manual so I had to put some spaces for the bottom mounts. An auto rad would have fitted better and not needed the spacers. 

56cd5f131a903_IMG_2261(Custom).thumb.JPG.19cb0bbe2c1f399785dea7554d77fd60.JPG

On 03/11/2018 at 10:22, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

I think that's for a manual. The auto ones are much, much harder to find....those bastard trans cooler pipes that screw into the base of the rad. After 10-30 years, they really don't like being undone.

Could you not install a standalone, air-cooled oil cooler instead?

Bit like this one https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/mocal-oil-coolers-245479/

Has anyone done this before? Might have to consider it with the 6-series (an auto), as there is a distinct possibility my radiator will be shot.