Sign in to follow this  
Boba

Winter Wheels Today

Not especially because it's November ;) but it's been a bit nippy lately with some frosty mornings so I've put the winter wheels on this morning.

I do sometimes wish that the BMW had studs instead of bolts though, quite a struggle for my ageing arms catching the wheel onto the spigot and getting the first bolt in. To say nothing of the front hub persistently turning as I tried to line things up. :-(

Never mind - that's it for a few months, and at least the wheels can't rust onto the studs like my old Vauxhall used to!

You can buy a long rod(threaded one end) to put in the top hole, over which you can then slide the wheel into position and easily pop in the bolts. Then remove the rod and screw in the final bolt. In fact I had an Audi with a plastic version of this - just checked online and they're around £6 delivered for a BMW thread size. I think I might get one to keep in the boot.

17 minutes ago, Monkeyfinger said:

You can buy a long rod(threaded one end) to put in the top hole, over which you can then slide the wheel into position and easily pop in the bolts. Then remove the rod and screw in the final bolt. In fact I had an Audi with a plastic version of this - just checked online and they're around £6 delivered for a BMW thread size. I think I might get one to keep in the boot.

Great tip, thanks, I think I'll invest in one.

Had to take a coffee break this morning after changing just the fronts, what with the weight of the wheels and the hubs determinedly trying to avoid letting me line up. Rears were a bit easier but I think in the Spring it'll be a struggle putting on the 19" staggereds.

One minor question - I noticed there was a smear of grease on the bolt-head chamfers (not on the threads of course). Is that normal?

The tool you want is called a 'wheel alignment fitting tool's. I know threads are meant to be dry for torquing. I see no harm in a little grease on the taper, and maybe it helps with seating or keeping damp out of the threads. Big one for me is greasing the centre hub as I hate having to take a rubber hammer to the inner wheel surface to persuade the wheel off the hub. Had many of these and it would have been impossible at the road side. 

When the wheel is stuck on the hub I undo all the bolts about 50% while its jacked up, and then slowly lower the car until the wheel touches the ground ... the weight of the car will usually separate the wheel from the hub.

If it's extremely stuck you may have to repeat it, allowing the car to drop a bit faster.

Always worked for me :)

Haven't found a nice set of winter wheels yet, I'm a sucker for OEM wheels 
663's or 635's would be my choice but are hard to find for a reasonable price.

4 hours ago, Hybrid5 said:

When the wheel is stuck on the hub I undo all the bolts about 50% while its jacked up, and then slowly lower the car until the wheel touches the ground ... the weight of the car will usually separate the wheel from the hub.

If it's extremely stuck you may have to repeat it, allowing the car to drop a bit faster.

Always worked for me :)

Haven't found a nice set of winter wheels yet, I'm a sucker for OEM wheels 
663's or 635's would be my choice but are hard to find for a reasonable price.

A bit of copper greese around the hub before refitting and the wheel will not stick in the future......

2 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Shouldn't use copper on alloys, ceramic grease is ok though.

Where does that wisdom stem from then....

I think science will tell you that the copper promotes corrosion of the alloy. Personal experience has shown me that over my ownership of numerous cars, I've never had a problem unless I haven't put it between hub and wheel! 

21 hours ago, Boba said:

Not especially because it's November ;) but it's been a bit nippy lately with some frosty mornings so I've put the winter wheels on this morning.

I do sometimes wish that the BMW had studs instead of bolts though, quite a struggle for my ageing arms catching the wheel onto the spigot and getting the first bolt in. To say nothing of the front hub persistently turning as I tried to line things up. :-(

Never mind - that's it for a few months, and at least the wheels can't rust onto the studs like my old Vauxhall used to!

My A6 had bolts instead of studs..... they are not easy with huge heavy wheels are they 

3 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Loos surprisingly good on those winters with M sport body kit :)

Agreed.  I'm pleasantly surprised. :)

1 hour ago, SuperDave said:

Did you update your tyre size and type settings in TPMS?  Dealer hadnt even bothered to set mine at all when i got the car. 

Yup.  The system sensed a change and told me that it had detected a tyre change.  :D

17 hours ago, BRB said:

Yup.  The system sensed a change and told me that it had detected a tyre change.  :D

When I changed my wheels the system saw the change in TPM sensors and said that it would recalibrate when I drove off. But I don't think it knew whether or not there had been a tyre change per se.  The pressure readings were more or less correct straight off but it took 2-3 miles before the system said it had recalibrated 100%.

3 hours ago, huggy said:

where would I find correct wheel/tyre size for winter tyres for 530D x drive ?

Depends on whether you have M Sport brakes or not. Easiest to put your VIN into realoem.com and browse the various wheels in there.

1 hour ago, Johnny Grabble said:

Depends on whether you have M Sport brakes or not.

What restrictions are there if you have M Sport brakes?

Which tyres did you chaps fit?

Runflat or non-runflat?

I am about to buy tyres for my 684's, bit behind schedule but life is getting in the way.