tdansmith

Frequency of Active DPF Regenerations (E61 530d LCI)

How frequently do you good people see DPF regenerations occurring? 

Ever since I had a fault code 4667 (too frequent regenerations) in August I have been monitoring mine, and am seeing 200ish miles between active regenerations.

As far as I can tell the regenerations appear to be working: exhaust temps reaching 600C; back pressure dropping back to single digits at idle etc. I’m just wondering if my experience is in line with others.

For reference, my car is now on 135k miles, and my typical journeys are 20-40 miles of mostly motorway / A road. I have had the fault code 452a for perhaps 20k miles, which I understand to be merely a notification that a particular mileage has passed, perhaps as a hangover from the pre LCI cars that has a finite DPF life of 120k miles?

Edited by tdansmith

I think that is too frequent but I don't have the specifics to hand. From memory 500 miles is more normal.

One thing I did find out when cleaning my DPF is that if the DPF temperature sensor is unplugged the car will do DPF regens as frequently as it can. As you are getting a temp reading it can't be that but something else might cause back to back regens.

On 31/10/2018 at 19:00, Vee said:

I just got a 530d, how do you check the DPF regens?

You need a diagnostics tool to monitor the exhaust back temperature. I use a C110 scanner, but there are various others. 

Sime people suggest you can tell based on the behaviour of the car (holding a lower gear, sound of the exhaust) but these cues are too subtle for me!

16 hours ago, JasonH said:

I think that is too frequent but I don't have the specifics to hand. From memory 500 miles is more normal.

One thing I did find out when cleaning my DPF is that if the DPF temperature sensor is unplugged the car will do DPF regens as frequently as it can. As you are getting a temp reading it can't be that but something else might cause back to back regens.

Did you clean yours yourself? I take it you have the pre LCI, and easier to remove?

By way of an update: I ran a bottle of Forte DPF cleaner through the last tank, and the last regen interval was 700 miles, so clearly it’s done something. Time will tell how long this improvement lasts...

I did clean mine myself but it is pre LCI. If it was LCI the process would he the same you'd just have to was the ash out through the Cat part. It was a bit of a job but it washed out great.

What you may know but not everyone gets is that there's a soot build up which is burnt off by the regens but when that is burnt there's a small amount ash left. Nothing will shift the ash other than physically washing or blowing it out of the DPF and the filter is made in such a way that it can only be washed out the engine end of the DPF.

So no treatment will shift the ash. Treatments only help sort out the soot.

15 hours ago, JasonH said:

I did clean mine myself but it is pre LCI. If it was LCI the process would he the same you'd just have to was the ash out through the Cat part. It was a bit of a job but it washed out great.

What you may know but not everyone gets is that there's a soot build up which is burnt off by the regens but when that is burnt there's a small amount ash left. Nothing will shift the ash other than physically washing or blowing it out of the DPF and the filter is made in such a way that it can only be washed out the engine end of the DPF.

So no treatment will shift the ash. Treatments only help sort out the soot.

Thanks  for the detailed reply. 

I was was aware that the ash build up does eventually fill the filter, requiring either cleaning, replacement or removal. That’s a decision I will likely have to make some time soon.