DirtyHarry88

2003 BMW 745i £2500 ONO

Link here- https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/bmw-745i/1316717943

142k miles

MOT 19/03/2019

Extensive service history

Features of note include much of what you'd expect and some more- 

Bi-xenon headlights, cruise control, electric heated seats, electric parking brake, sun roof, CD multichanger, phone, sat nav, powered boot opening/closing, active anti-roll bars. 

Serviced at the following miles with lots of paperwork to go with- 24k, 46k, 69k, 79k, 94k, 106k, 114k, 124k, 132k, 138k. Service not due again for another 15k miles, spark plugs not required for 60k miles. Recently had new rear tyres and the fronts have plenty of tread left. 

Any further questions feel free to ask. Test drive only with proof of fully comprehensive insurance otherwise I'm more than happy to take the car out for a thorough run with you. 

Sensible offers considered. 

Car is well known to pistonheads- https://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-carpool/bmw-745i-ph-carpool/34597

That particular owner did a lot of work to the car and kept a spreadsheet of all maintenance the car had, major suspension refresh being a highlight. I've also spent a lot fixing common issues including the notorious coolant pipe (fixed with the bimmerfix kit) and the alternator bracket seal.

Fed up getting arsed around by the public withdrawing from agreed deals and the like so hopefully a fellow enthusiast might be interested.

Being fussy here's a quick rundown of some niggles- there's a rattle now and again from the exhaust, likely a heatshield or similar but don't notice it from inside, couple of wheels are a bit kerbed, headlight lenses could do with a good polish, button that opens the boot is cracked and the sunroof tilt sometimes plays up not wanting to close until after a few attempts but it slides back and forward no bother. Rear brakes pads will probably be the next thing to do but the idrive is still showing 7/8k miles until they're likely to need done, depends on driving style I suppose.

Can't pretend it's a perfect car but at the age, miles and price it's in good condition and a lot of car for the money. MOT advisories were an oil leak (since rectified- upper timing cover and alternator bracket seal) and rear tyres that have now also been replaced.

Cheers

745.JPG

Edited by DirtyHarry88

Sold to a chap on pistonheads for £2k.

Now that it's gone, I can safely say to anyone, unless you're looking at an example like this that's had loads of work done AND is still dirt cheap, absolutely not worth your time with the N62 engine. Fucking nightmare.

For some perspective my M5 worked out at 63p per mile in the end and that was with a load of preventative maintenance, wheel refurb, exhaust etc. This was all just necessary-

745i.JPG

Edited by DirtyHarry88

Nice, a relief to have moved it on then. I came close to getting an E65 recently, maybe I dodged a bullet. Still want one though :D

Luxobarge motoring is rarely cheap....

My mate at BMW warned me about e65's and that I was being an idiot. He was only half right. I don't think there was a single e65-specific thing that ever went wrong- just the disaster of an engine.

If I was to do it again it'd be a straight 6 or, if you can be bothered with expenditure, you're as well going for the V12. The V8 is a halfway house that isn't worth the bother.

Once the N62s start loosing the ability to keep their oil inside it's a slippery slope (no pun intended) they want taking out the car and rebuilt purely to get at all the seals necessary including valve stem oil seals.

I almost got one of these but in the end went to the dark side and got a 2001 Audi s8. Aluminium body, 4.2 v8. Absolute corker.