Sign in to follow this  
Zak322

Auto Transmission Issue

Want to share an experience that I have had on at least six occasions  :  In full auto transmission mode while accelerating from a static position, vehicle failed to upshift  until revs exceeded 4000rpm. This happened earlier today at busy roundabout and was quite scary.

NB. Was using Comfort Mode on each occasion

I have had similar on a couple of occasions, both times at the same junction pulling away from a busy roundabout entry left-handed on an uphill. No idea what revs it changed up at but the first time it shifted with a real bang and I thought that something had broken. Second time was less fierce but still quite a bang into 2nd. Also in comfort both times but I expect that I had my foot well down to get away. Turning moderately sharply at the same time so possibly with traction control hovering if that makes any difference.

On 27/10/2018 at 23:07, Zak322 said:

Want to share an experience that I have had on at least six occasions  :  In full auto transmission mode while accelerating from a static position, vehicle failed to upshift  until revs exceeded 4000rpm. This happened earlier today at busy roundabout and was quite scary.

NB. Was using Comfort Mode on each occasion

Is your selector knocked over to the left and putting it into sport operation ?  

Edited by huggy

On 29 October 2018 at 18:46, huggy said:

Is your selector knocked over to the left and putting it into sport operation ?  

Nope definitely not, happened in Comfort mode (and FWIW in ECO) both times.

Edited by Boba

Nothing like that has ever happened to me in 10 months / 19k miles.

Probably worth getting it to the dealers and plugged in to see what’s what. Even if they don’t identify any fault then at least it’s logged in case anything goes wrong further down the line. 

On 31/10/2018 at 22:07, Boba said:

Nope definitely not, happened in Comfort mode (and FWIW in ECO) both times.

but you can get a sport mode setting with gear selector over to left even in comfort and eco mode.... not full on sport mode but it does affect gear change I think 

Not really sure how that could have been "scary" unless you had no control of the throttle. Logical thing to have done would have been to up shift manually. 

How is your driving style? Remember that these gearboxes adapt to you. If, right before getting to the lights you were mashing the throttle and therefore the gearbox was holding on to gears as expected, it anticipated that you will do the same again and did not shift until it realised that your throttle input has changed. 

Another thing to consider was the cars temperature? Was the gearbox allowed enough time to warm up? We've just had a quick drop in temperature and that could have affected it. 

A lot of people get very touchy about these gearbox, I've seen plenty of people describing a jolt when shifting from P to D which is perfectly normal, especially if you are not parked on a level ground. If this is coninous take it in to the dealer, they will likely reset the adaptations and send you back out to see if problems come back.

On 02/11/2018 at 12:09, sjak92 said:

Not really sure how that could have been "scary" unless you had no control of the throttle. Logical thing to have done would have been to up shift manually. 

How is your driving style? Remember that these gearboxes adapt to you. If, right before getting to the lights you were mashing the throttle and therefore the gearbox was holding on to gears as expected, it anticipated that you will do the same again and did not shift until it realised that your throttle input has changed. 

Another thing to consider was the cars temperature? Was the gearbox allowed enough time to warm up? We've just had a quick drop in temperature and that could have affected it. 

A lot of people get very touchy about these gearbox, I've seen plenty of people describing a jolt when shifting from P to D which is perfectly normal, especially if you are not parked on a level ground. If this is coninous take it in to the dealer, they will likely reset the adaptations and send you back out to see if problems come back.

+1

On 02/11/2018 at 12:09, sjak92 said:

I wouldn't have called it scary when it's happened to me, just a bit embarrassing.

Happened to me again last night, in comfort mode with shifter on the right. It's just very poor gearbox mapping, bit of a shame but it's hardly the end of the world.

9 hours ago, Johnyboy said:

It's just very poor gearbox mapping, bit of a shame but it's hardly the end of the world.

To the contrary, the ZF 8 Speed used in BMW's is one of the best mapped gearboxes around. As I said above, there are two options, either your driving style goes from smooth to erratic in unpredictable ways which means the gearbox is simply not smart enough and needs its adaptations reset or you have a mechanical fault which would not be common. 

54 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

To the contrary, the ZF 8 Speed used in BMW's is one of the best mapped gearboxes around. As I said above, there are two options, either your driving style goes from smooth to erratic in unpredictable ways which means the gearbox is simply not smart enough and needs its adaptations reset or you have a mechanical fault which would not be common. 

Rubbish, it has an appalling tip-in stumble and jerk. Really poor deceleration downshifts, and this curious gear-holding as above. In fact the only time that it's really impressive is the speed of manual changes in sport.

Edited by Johnyboy

57 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

That's a point of view if you've not experienced it. I'm not a boy racer as I'm in my 70s and there do seem to be several (3 here at least out of I'd suppose a relatively small ownership subset) who have had this albeit infrequently. So it's a reasonable conclusion that there are likely some mapping points which give this but which seldomly occur.

Could be as simple as a momentary lifting of the throttle at some rev point during a quick take-off, anything really, but that's what I've considered. In my case it's been a quick move for a gap on an uphill roundabout entry where the tendency is to be pushed back smartly as the car nips out.

I'd not label it as poor mapping though - I've had much worse with much larger gear intervals - but it's the sort of thing you can't help notice when the drive is normally so smooth.

Edited by Boba

14 minutes ago, Johnyboy said:

Rubbish, it has an appalling tip-in stumble and jerk. Really poor deceleration downshifts, and this curious gear-holding as above. In fact the only time that it's really impressive is the speed of manual changes in sport.

Probably the only person in the world who has that opinion, the manual speed changes in sport are actually slower then leaving it in sport auto

13 minutes ago, Boba said:

That's a point of view if you've not experienced it. I'm not a boy racer as I'm in my 70s and there do seem to be several (3 here at least out of I'd suppose a relatively small ownership subset) who have had this albeit infrequently. So it's a reasonable conclusion that there are likely some mapping points which give this but which seldomly occur.

Could be as simple as a momentary lifting of the throttle at some rev point during a quick take-off, anything really, but that's what I've considered. In my case it's been a quick move for a gap on an uphill roundabout entry where the tendency is to be pushed back smartly as the car nips out.

I'd not label it as poor mapping though - I've had much worse with much larger gear intervals - but it's the sort of thing you can't help notice when the drive is normally so smooth.

If it was poor mapping (rolled out in every car that has the gearbox) more people would complain and there would like be either a QE or a PuMA case - i know for a fact there isn't one. 

As Boba said, the sample is too small to make that call. Hence, it either your adaptations or you are incredibly unlucky to have a faulty gearbox. If it bothers you that much, like I said above, go to your dealer, warranty is there for a reason after all. 

We will have to differ. As those who have experienced it have said its infrequent (<10 reported here) and unlikely to be due to driving adaptations (or it'd be less infrequent). Clearly if it becomes more frequent or annoying a dealer visit is indicated, but your explanations are only 1-2 amongst others. A case would only happen if a significant number of people report it.

Edited by Boba

2 hours ago, Boba said:

A case would only happen if a significant number of people report it.

Incorrect, my old F10 was the only car BMW had knowledge of of a whine above 68mph on pressing the accelerator. It is now an official PuMA case. 

The whole point of a PuMA case is to build a database of issues with cars. If a significant amount of individual cases raise similar PuMA cases, a recall or QE is considered.