Jay Beach

Latest recall

According to that article 

4-cylinder models produced from December 2014 to August 2016 in the following series: 3-, 4-, 5-, 6-Series, X3, X4, X5, X6

6-cylinder models in the same series as above, produced from July 2012 to June 2015

So not a single G30 5 series in that case

19 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

4-cylinder models produced from December 2014 to August 2016 in the following series: 3-, 4-, 5-, 6-Series, X3, X4, X5, X6

6-cylinder models in the same series as above, produced from July 2012 to June 2015

My 4 has recently been in for faults with EGR cooling system & Inlet manifold. Pretty certain it's related to this recall!

Either they've already mitigated the risks, without mentioning it, or i'm at increased risk because my car has had related faults. Excellent.

3 hours ago, sjak92 said:

But in the latest release here:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0286151EN/bmw-group-expands-technical-campaign?language=en

it has been extended to vehicles with a manufacturing date up to August 2017, so it DOES cover a fair number of G30/31 cars (including mine :-( )!

According to the above it does affect mine Feb 17 production. A high mileage cruncher already done almost 20,000 miles. Wait for the call from the dealer or contact the dealer?

46 minutes ago, Babaikram said:

Wait for the call from the dealer or contact the dealer?

I don't know how these things work. If you ring the dealer and say that your car is covered by the "recall" will they do the necessary mods promptly, or will they put it in line behind higher-mileage or earlier vehicles? I suppose anyone who's not read the release won't know (most people?).

Anyone know?

1 hour ago, Boba said:

I don't know how these things work. If you ring the dealer and say that your car is covered by the "recall" will they do the necessary mods promptly, or will they put it in line behind higher-mileage or earlier vehicles? I suppose anyone who's not read the release won't know (most people?).

Anyone know?

It depends how busy they are it wont depend on mileage or etc. more how quickly you book it in, however if ones fail they will take priority obviously! BMW tend to release them slowly as to not to overwhelm dealers, but equally manage parts supply, but...

The issue is at the moment the EGR cooler part is getting harder to get hold of for obvious reasons (mine failed in September just as this was announced) 

In reality this is not an official recall so won't appear on any DVSA recall list. So you need to contact BMW, but I keep hearing various stories of owners finding it not listed on one contact another dealer and it is.

Equally the reality of this "story" is that EGR Coolers on N series engine cars has been going on for years. The amount of owners that have had some form of fault with the EGR cooler is a joke. BMW have already have to replace the B47 EGR valve components enough times, but this time the cooler presents an issue. 

BMW were doing goodwill on plenty of N57 6 pot cars that had leaking coolant from the pipe on the rear or leaking internally (which is what this technical campaign refers to). 

In regards to the EGR coolers generally then I do wonder whether BMW did a bit much costing cutting and ironically went to Korens in Korea for the EGR cooler over Mahle etc. like on the older M series engine cars. I do suspect some of it is down to this. 

Finally remember the first stage in many cases is simply getting the cooler checked it won't necessarily get you a replacement. So if it not leaking then you might not even get a new one at all. Until you have it checked though check your coolant level when cold and if it begins to drop then get it booked in (or even better and what I would advise owners suspicious of it failing call BMW Assist which will then get you under the emergency banner for assessment and avoid the issue of having to wait). However I believe if memory serves that all 4 pot (N47 and B47) can be done by the side of the road if they have the part, any 6 pot will need a dealer.

Main symptoms with the issue are:

Coolant dropping for no explainable reason (these engines should use no coolant - B47, N57 etc)

White smoke from the exhaust later on when it has developed further as coolant is effectively being "burnt", but before that you may smell the exhaust smelling "sweeter" than normal

Drop in MPG (not a huge amount but enough to make you go hmm, mine dropped on my F06 from a steady 35/36 to 33)

And if it does develop a melting inlet manifold followed potentially by fire

Why BMW are not telling people to check the above bugger knows.

Edited by Ninja59

On 27/10/2018 at 19:19, Ninja59 said:

It depends how busy they are it wont depend on mileage or etc. more how quickly you book it in, however if ones fail they will take priority obviously! BMW tend to release them slowly as to not to overwhelm dealers, but equally manage parts supply, but...

The issue is at the moment the EGR cooler part is getting harder to get hold of for obvious reasons (mine failed in September just as this was announced) 

In reality this is not an official recall so won't appear on any DVSA recall list. So you need to contact BMW, but I keep hearing various stories of owners finding it not listed on one contact another dealer and it is.

Equally the reality of this "story" is that EGR Coolers on N series engine cars has been going on for years. The amount of owners that have had some form of fault with the EGR cooler is a joke. BMW have already have to replace the B47 EGR valve components enough times, but this time the cooler presents an issue. 

BMW were doing goodwill on plenty of N57 6 pot cars that had leaking coolant from the pipe on the rear or leaking internally (which is what this technical campaign refers to). 

In regards to the EGR coolers generally then I do wonder whether BMW did a bit much costing cutting and ironically went to Korens in Korea for the EGR cooler over Mahle etc. like on the older M series engine cars. I do suspect some of it is down to this. 

Finally remember the first stage in many cases is simply getting the cooler checked it won't necessarily get you a replacement. So if it not leaking then you might not even get a new one at all. Until you have it checked though check your coolant level when cold and if it begins to drop then get it booked in (or even better and what I would advise owners suspicious of it failing call BMW Assist which will then get you under the emergency banner for assessment and avoid the issue of having to wait). However I believe if memory serves that all 4 pot (N47 and B47) can be done by the side of the road if they have the part, any 6 pot will need a dealer.

Main symptoms with the issue are:

Coolant dropping for no explainable reason (these engines should use no coolant - B47, N57 etc)

White smoke from the exhaust later on when it has developed further as coolant is effectively being "burnt", but before that you may smell the exhaust smelling "sweeter" than normal

Drop in MPG (not a huge amount but enough to make you go hmm, mine dropped on my F06 from a steady 35/36 to 33)

And if it does develop a melting inlet manifold followed potentially by fire

Why BMW are not telling people to check the above bugger knows.

I had the coolant dropping like crazy for no reason on my 420. Had that sorted and then 4 weeks later my inlet manifold failed so i was missing 60 horses in power. Seems I dodged a bullet?! This happened over August/September

On today's BBC news:

A South Wales Police BMW 3 Series estate burst into flames in Alltwen, near Pontardawe in the Swansea Valley, at about 20:15 GMT on Friday.

Investigations continuing as to why ...

Hmmm!

I had this issue in my 2013 730d.  Exhaust smoke stated coming into the cabin.  Took it to BMW independent to diagnose.  They said egr needed replacing as well as inlet manifold which had a hole burnt into it at the rear, said it was a common known problem.  They put caution on driving it further as the hole was apparently adjacent to fuel pipes which if breached would cause a fire.  Just after that BMW issued a recall.  Called the dealer and they said my vehicle wasn't covered by the recall, yet my mates 6 series gran coupe was, with the same engine etc.

Cars gone now as I bought a new 6 GT but just as I got rid to the dealer BMW issued the second recall.