Sign in to follow this  
Retset

My new car!

Apologies but it's taken me a while to get round to putting on a couple of photos of my 520d replacement; a Golf R estate.

I remember vividly reading an article in a car magazine (EVO I guess), a few years ago and seeing the Golf R (which would have been too small in the boot for us) was now coming out as an estate. I was very excited and told everybody who would listen (so almost nobody) that this would be my next car. Of course, it wasn't and I bought a 520d Touring which, in fairness to it, was a very nice car indeed. However, the rear tyres spontaneously exploded (I must post about this) and it was inconveniently large so I went back to plan A and looked for a Golf R estate.

Somehow, I kept adding to a budget I barely had and ended up with an 8 mile pre-reg. Bog standard apart from the lovely Lapiz paint. Over the BMW, I gain a huge amount of performance, 4WD, CarPlay and a spare wheel. I lose the powered tailgate, semi keyless and the H&K. The latter is noticeable on the motorway so I will probably get the Helix stereo upgrade which is subs, amp and DSP under the boot floor that plugs into the original stereo wiring loom. Boot/passenger room, comfort etc. all very similar to the F11 but it's almost exactly the same size as my previous E91.

Needless to say, I really like the car a lot. It's performance is mega in a slightly turbo lagged massive mid range shove sort of way. It may share the 0-60 in 4.8 of my Elise but the Elise does it in a more high revving NA way. It's a luxury indeed to have two cars that go about the same numbers in totally different ways. Having given both some fast drives in the last week, I do think the Elise is the better driver's car but the Golf does very well for something that has 4 seats, creature comforts and a massive boot!

I am a fan of the fast changes of the 7 speed DSG. Like any DSG, you have to make sure the gearbox knows what you are likely to want so that's it's pre-selected but, assuming you do, there is a really fast change and, depending on mode switches and level of commitment, maybe a fart from the exhaust!

Nothing I want to change apart from maybe the stereo upgrade. The 18's are staying as they give a good ride/handling compromise (much like the F11 on M suspension and 19s) and a new set of premium tyres is 'only' £400.

DSC02782 - Copy.jpg

DSC02785-HDR - Copy.jpg

Nice. I love my current 240bhp twin turbo Tiguan R-line with the same gearbox, but i think i'm going to be very tempted by the Tiguan R in just over a years time.

Cracking looking wagon and as above super colour.

The Mrs has just emailed me that her place are doing a staff deal on the Aerton (sp) on a 6m lease where they replace it for new after 6m!.

I love the look of these so I've asked her to find out the specs and engines available. Doubt it will be a goer but worth checking out for the sake of 6m.

Edited by bmwf113.0d

Lovely motor, congrats! Perfect colour and engine combo

Not to put a downer on things but if I owned one, there's many areas of the country I wouldn't be visiting without security upgrades. The number of posts you see on facebook etc.. puts me off having such a beast. Have a look at stuff like the Autowatch Ghost and Pandora alarms. 

It's pretty sleepy round here sanjx and it doesn't have keyless to be hacked remotely so I am not too worried. I think if I was regularly going to big, smoky cities I might be a bit more concerned. I am at the unenviable age where car insurance is cheap but I have to say my mouth fell open when I found this is over £40 a year cheaper than my lesser value F11 520d! Road tax is £20 more so you can see just how sensible I have been :mrgreen:

Nice motor. In terms of the speaker upgrade don't just stick with Helix as threre are a plethora of brands that do the aftermarket drop in replacements.

Focal, Rainbow, Audison and one or 2 more.

Be sure to listen before buying. 

20 hours ago, Retset said:

......... and a new set of premium tyres is 'only' £400.

What brand is that? I've earmarked Nexen SU1s for my 540 on the back of a few recommendations here and on the 'net. 

18 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

^ DO IT!

The lad who works for me who has one says its terrific.  What's not to like nearly with 300 bhp from a petrol engine and 4wd.......and a hatchback for your dog.

If it was a six pot I'd be all over it, having said that she's bringing me the price list back along with some questions I've asked about the lease etc.

I also think in 18m they will be the new CC rep mobile, I like the exclusivity of my current car.

Edited by bmwf113.0d

On 26/10/2018 at 06:38, Loadmaster said:

What brand is that? I've earmarked Nexen SU1s for my 540 on the back of a few recommendations here and on the 'net. 

Something nice like PS4. 225/40 R18 is a popular size and it's usually possible to find a selection of premium tyres as a 4 set on Black Circles for about £400. In contrast, the RFT 235/40 R19's on my 520d were over £200 a corner.

On 27/10/2018 at 10:09, sanjx said:

cheaper insurance, cheaper road tax and more power...whats not to love. Amazing choice!

IKR! :D I only have 1200 miles on it so far but still happy with the choice. As well as the oomph, it's ability to drive gently, surfing the 520d equalling torque is also appreciated, especially by the family!