535i Andrew

Top Gear to get worse.

1 hour ago, Yokozuna said:

Really? You been to specsavers recently? I think you might need to put your name down for one of them golden retriever’s that warns you of stuff whilst you’re walking down the rd! :lol: 

Couldn't agree more, she's a bit of a moose. 

I think I watched the first of the Chris Evans shows and I was done with that series. And maybe a couple of the Le Blanc episodes. 

I probably won't watch 1 of this series either. I've always liked Chris Harris but he worked better on his YouTube vids.

Steve Coogan would be good in the role.

I think the fact that we can’t agree between us on a thread here shows how difficult it is for the BBC to get it right. 

Some hark back to the Clarkson, Hammond, May days, but the truth is that TGT is dying on its arse on Amazon, and is likely not to get another series after the initial contract term finishes. 

14 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

In the meantime we can watch classic episodes on Dave

Like this one?

The race at the end of this segment is the best bit. Proving that having loads of Torque isn't the be all and end all.:D

When it comes on, I'll give it a go.  If it's good, I'll keep watching.  If not, I'll switch it off.  Top Gear with Clarkson, Hammond and May was good, but sort of went downhill a bit in its final couple of seasons I thought - some episodes were good, but some were dire.  This hasn't changed since they started The Grand Tour over on Amazon.  It's a mixed bag.  I don't think it's doing as well for Amazon as they had hoped.

I like Wheeler Dealers, and I think Ant is good in it.  I liked his 'For the Love of Cars' show with Philip Glenister too - I'd like to see a new series of that.

Both worth watching mark But  no review or road tests really. 

Maybe be the market has shrunk. 5th gear has been relegated to quest on Thursdays.   

Lots of car car content on tv and the net but must see prime time viewing is in the wain. When there is so many ways to watch tv. 

As as a kid you all watched say black adder and quoted it adinfinitym at school then next day. No one has appointment viewing these days bar shows like strictly or a big sporting event. It's all catch up/ box sets/ digi box recordings so we don't have that comraderie. 

Media is changing. Morecombe and wise got what 22m viewers on xmas day. Nothing gets close. It's niche content all the way now as it gets easier and cheaper to produce content. 

I think we accept TG is dying a death. Flintoff I like (for his cricket mainly but on league of their own he's good) 

mcguiness is ok. Harris is developing as a presenter so I'll watch it will be harmless enough and not worth getting upset over. Heck it might even be enjoyable!

Must agree that Top Gear, both versions, have run their course.  I bought the firestick when it was on offer to watch the original three in their new venture, but have only watched a couple of episodes to date.

I firmly believe that Clarksons famous outburst at the end of the old series was down to the fact that he was pregnant or suffering from pre menstrual tension.  If not he was certainly doing a great impression with that extended belly bursting out of his long suffering shirt.  Still, It was great crack for many years.

I have to agree with you, @oldjohnny - both Top Gear and The Grand Tour (Top Gear with loadsacash) are both well past their sell-by date and the axe should fall on both. I found myself a copy of the Top Gear 'BL 40' episode from 2007, which I still find hugely amusing and frequently watch it. I let myself sign up to Amazon Prime, but did I find TGT a must-watch? No. I have watched a grand total of one episode.  Which reminds me, I can save myself £8/month if I go cancel it after posting this.

At least with Fifth Gear you could have the occasional crush on Vicki Butler-Henderson, but that's it.

There's plenty of this sort of stuff on YouTube if you want it: and to be honest I have far more interest in shitters than supercars - hence my following Hubnut and Roadkill (at least, the YT episodes)!

Edited by e60neindanke

On 10/23/2018 at 9:23 AM, duncan-uk said:

Media is changing. Morecombe and wise got what 22m viewers on xmas day. Nothing gets close. It's niche content all the way now as it gets easier and cheaper to produce content. 

But it's worth stating that we only had three channels back then; and the figure was in fact 28 million for the 1977 show.

Edited by e60neindanke

^ indeed but the sheer number of ways we can watch 'TV' means collective viewing is on the wain and more niche programming is probably the way forward?

At some point the profit won't justify the investment i guess.

Very true; I have heard it called 'narrowcasting' in the past. Few households, other than well-to-do 'early adopters' had video recorders in 1977 so that meant that sitting down to watch TV at Christmas was a family occasion after the turkey sandwiches and trifle had been demolished. A few probably had second tellies, usually the old black and white they had before they got the colour telly.

Autre temps, autre moeurs.

p.s. Just thought I'd politely point out it's 'wane' in the context you're writing, not 'wain'. :) (Unless you really are referring to a cart ;))

Edited by e60neindanke

Well we could construct an argument that collective viewing is out dated like the cart on which it is riding and i was using a subtle metaphor....

but yes i meant wane :rolleyes:

Earlier this week someone in Radio 4 mentioned that Top Gear was bringing in around £50 million to the Beeb's coffers. Part of that income helps to keep the less profitable or niche Beeb offerings on the air. I suppose that goes some way towards understanding why they wanted to keep it flying by whatever means possible.

I wonder how much of that £50 million is from repeats of the original Top Gear, as I doubt that the replacement would have the viewing figures, especially world wide to bring any great sums into the coffers.

1 hour ago, oldjohnny said:

I wonder how much of that £50 million is from repeats of the original Top Gear, as I doubt that the replacement would have the viewing figures, especially world wide to bring any great sums into the coffers.

A fair bit - but I reckon most of it will come from syndication/rights to the Top Gear 'brand' in other countries. BBC Worldwide are pretty canny on stuff like this and yes, the revenue from this will help fund the sort of public service broadcast programming you won't find in the commercial sector.

Nothing I’ve read tempts me to start watching it again, but if pulls in lots of money and help the Beeb to remain advert free, then I hope it runs for ever.