Dakota

USB map update?

You need to have created an account on BMW Connected Drive first then once you've got an account set up and your car details entered, go to the BMW ConnectedDrive page and log in. Click on Remote Cockpit and then on Control and scroll down a bit and you'll see a box labelled Map Update and a button to click. On the map page which opens choose the Manual Map Update option and follow your nose. Takes a while to download then unpack it onto a stick which needs to have been formatted as FAT32. Pop the stick into a USB port in the car and it should be recognised and start the update automatically.

BTW if you're on Windows 10 you might have difficulty formatting a stick to FAT32 which is required. Google is your friend and I've found you're better using one of the free formatters than the Windows command line.

Edited by Boba

So hit a dead end, downloaded the map but have repeatedly failed to get it to unzip to my USB key. Crashes out at various stages. Key is formatted to ExFat on Mac which is the same as Fat32 I believe.

I think that ExFAT IS different to Fat32 - Fat32 is quite an old format now (which is why Windows 10 makes it a bit more awkward to use). I don't know whether that's what is stopping the unzip or not but it definitely didn't work on mine with a default formatted stick.

do a google for "MAC FAT32 format" - I think Apple call it DOS format or something ,and see if that helps.

I have had no end of problems with this CD mullarky and its associated website.

I ordered an extension of one year for the RTTI and it was applied to a totally different VIN number. I have spent a long time on various telephone calls trying to get things done.

Also, the issues with RTTI itself not working as it should (which is a well know issue that BMW are trying to sort out)

I simple find it amazing that BMW are happy to have this whole system hit and miss like it is.

3 hours ago, Dakota said:

So hit a dead end, downloaded the map but have repeatedly failed to get it to unzip to my USB key. Crashes out at various stages. Key is formatted to ExFat on Mac which is the same as Fat32 I believe.

No problem here formatting to FAT32 on my MacBook Pro:

925614476_Screenshot2018-10-21at11_29_12.thumb.jpg.6e1d57f4007e3746d57e9135c221b999.jpg

You dont unzip to the USB this is the problem I had, you create a folder within your pc/mac then unzip the first folder and copy the two two items that it creates into your root of your USB.

You then load the USB stick in your USB port in your Glove box ( centre consul wont work )

The satnav will then recognise it and ask for your code..

Hope this helps... 

The Root means as it is in a tree the beginning.... I.E  a motorcycle is the frame, the car is the body etc..

In this case it is the first thing on the USB nothing else should be on it!

Mate,

I had the same snag updating my F11 maps, I purchased my 2018 map from a "Web site" and downloaded the file, I also have a Mac, luckily the mrs had a FAT32(MS DOS) 32gb USB. what the seller didn't say was that it has to be this format and a 32gb stick.

As for the file structure :

Just these 2 files need to be in it, then back it in the glove box, it may or may not start uo, mine didn't.

Go to the nav screen, move the controller right to bring uo the nav options, scroll down to "update maps" select it, then you input the supplied code and wait a long, long time. Th car has too be on fo fit to work, mine is at 68%, but I will leave it until I drive to work. 

any snags, give me a shout!

Dan 

Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 13.08.57.png

That's great info, cheers.  I have had no joy unzipping it to a USB, I have a 64gb stick and formatted it to FAT32(MS DOS).  But it always crashes out.  It was suggested I unzip to another type of drive, then copy those two files to the USB, but as yet I have not got my hands on another drive that I can reformat. I also can't find the files on my HD that are supposedly downloaded before unzipping.  I'm not an idiot with computer either, been working on Macs for 30 years!

Such a PITA, stupidly complex joke of a system!

As I said you do not unzip to the USB! the USB should be empty...

You unzip the first file within the folder you created on your pc.

The it will take what ever files it needs from the other files that you down loaded in my case 5 folders.

Once thats done you copy the two files that it has created within that folder.

Thats it just plug it in the glove box and it should recognise it if not do what Dan says ;-)

USB Instructions:
=================
Please use a 32GB or larger FAT32 formatted USB drive to install this update.

Download the rar parts 1 by 1 not all in the same time into the same folder on your PC.

1. Use WinRAR or 7-Zip to extract the rar archive. Extract only part1. All other parts will be extracted automatically. 

2. You will be left with a folder called NAVD_00005C4A_255_005_074

3. Open NAVD_00005C4A_255_005_074 folder and you'll see config.nfm and pkgdb

4. Copy the config.nfm and pkgdb to 
the root of your USB drive

5. Insert the USB stick into the USB port in the Glovebox (the center console will NOT work)

6. Follow the onscreen prompts, it will prompt for the FSC code (see below for information on getting an FSC code)

7. The update will begin to load

8. Wait for it to finish loading the data and you're done!

Notes:
======
1. Also, some USB drives come with a hidden partition at the front of the drive. Make
sure to go into Disk Management (for Windows) or Disk Utility (OSX) and delete all partitions.
Then recreate a single partition formatted FAT32 (Windows) or FAT (OSX, it's FAT32 by default).

I guess things are different on the G31.

I download using the BMW downloader. When it's finished it asks for a stick and I give it one in FAT32. If it's not FAT32 it complains and asks for another. It unzips to the stick. I put the stick in the car USB and drive off. All done, no hassle. :D .