Next up on the ex-Kent RPU F11 is one I've been putting off a while, but today I finally got the part. In the front end collision that most likely triggered TD15s disposal, the main air guide suffered heavy damage but despite being in several pieces remained in situ.

Now I have the replacement, it's just finding time to pop to the hobbywerkstatt, remove the nosecone and bumper parts and then (according to NewTIS) the airguide should be relatively easy to replace. We shall see....

New Air Guide.jpg

Edited by HandyAndy_UK
Spelling

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

Is that a place you can hire ramp time and tools? 

There used to be places here that did that in the UK but I'm quite sure it was stopped on liabilities and/or health and safety grounds.

We've all been there with the car jacked up, immobilised after shearing a bolt or breaking something, waiting on a new part, imagine the costs building up on someone's hired ramp.

Yes guys, a hobbywerkstatt is a workshop where you can hire a bay with/without lift, tools, etc to work on your own vehicle. German rules prohibit potentially polluting activities on unprotected surfaces, and guys have even had polizei called on them just while changing a bulb at the roadside.

Nah... I've had the nosecone off a few times while I was rectifying the PPS... that's easy. Then just looks to be bumper bar off and a few clips and screws to release the fragmented old guide. New one 'should' effectively just slot in over the headlamp washer pipe.

In true Haynes style.... reassembly is the reverse of stripping.

I hope :unsure:

Well today was the day. Nice and early to the Hobbywerkstatt and tasks begun.

As per previous, the plan was to replace the damaged main air guide and also allowed further investigation into any other possible damage not yet found.

So, up on the lift... front wheels off... nosecone off...all easy enough, done plenty times to date.

Having removed slam panel cover (allows slight movement of the cooling pack - necessary), the cross-braces from in front of the condenser, then unplugged and removed the PPS bumper strip, it's just 2 nuts & bolts to remove the bumper bar. With that lot gone, picking out the remaining parts of the old air guide was easy.

With open access it was a chance for a good look around. The impacted condenser I knew about (still works fine!), the damaged LH headlamp mounting I did not. As you'll see in the pics, the plod mechs put the unit in place and packed it with some foam blocks. Did the job, but just not right.

All observations done, it was then reassembly time. The air guide in 3 parts - main body, the refit front cross-struts, then fit vanes and front section. After a little squooshing and levering everything was eased into place, then as I alluded to last time... reassembly reverse of stripping, etc.

I'm sure you clever chaps and chappesses can work out where the pics fit into that lot.....

Condenser Damage.jpg

Guide Complete.jpg

Guide Main + Struts.jpg

Guide Vanes.jpg

LH Headlamp Mounting.jpg

New + Old Air Guide.jpg

My only problem with this job.... with the damaged guide, there were several screw points missing due to the missing plastic. So building up as I went along on reassembly, I ran out of a few screws. I have a shopping list for my local parts desk for next week, but I chose to use those I had in less accessible places, so once I got the remaining screws, fitting wouldn't require the same effort all over again.

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

5 hours ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

The impacted condenser I knew about (still works fine!),

Condenser Damage.jpg

Hold the bus.

You have a dented condenser? AND IT STILL WORKS?

These things leak as often as day follows night and you have had one that has literally been kicked in and it works?

That must be made of solid steel instead of the coleslaw that ever other F10/11 condenser is made from.

Good job though.

It amazed me too. I was pricing up a replacement right up to around April when started warming up over here, yet the aircon was still uncomfortably cold.

Looking at the overall impact profile I think most of the energy had been dissipated within the first 200mm, so the condenser area was pressed rather than hit.

I'll possibly change it at some point, but it's not a priority.

Well this ongoing job continues.... picked up a boxload of part from my pusher yesterday... planned on hitting th hobbywerkstatt this morning, but it's a soggy day and I really didn't fancy working under a dripping F11 so it's been put back a week.

I have the RH wheelarch front liner - more of a want than a need to change, LH headlamp mounting and a mass of previously missing screws. Slightly annoyingly, some of the screws only come in a 10 pack wehere I only needed 3 or 4... good to have spares though.

New Parts.jpg

The brake cooling duct I already had - misordered the front when the rear was missing, but the one in situ is a tad tatty so I may as well change it out as I have the part.

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

Well I already have the replacement part so I may as well use it. If the original was in way better condition it would have gone on eBay instead. That episode of wrong parts learning will now just leave me with a set of headlight washer covers & arms for an M bumper (mine is non-M), so no real wasted funds.

My guess is that Kent & Essex Fleet were expecting it to be broken for parts, but have to dispose in at least a minimum condition, hence returning it to only just ok rather than completely repaired.

Edited by HandyAndy_UK
sunday morning spelling

9 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

He obviusly suffers from the same condition as me, it's called automotive OCD.

I would do the same i just did not want to admit it.

I did something similar with my previous mx5. Replaced all the liners and all the bolts. I probably should do the 640's properly at some point 

40 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

I bet that car could tell some stories during its RPU days !!!

From what I've been able to glean it ran out of Maidstone and spent a lot of time between there and the ports. I dug into it when I got some very odd looks from the Kent guys at Dover just after I bought it... yep, VERY familiar plate. guys :rolleyes:

Automotive OCD? Not quite.... I have yet to even own 2 buckets, let alone use them to wash the car - it gets the Waschpark once a week... maybe once a fortnight in winter. I just like things to be as they should be :D

(That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it !)