There are quite a few E38 750's and three E32 750's on ebay at the moment; time to get a fairly cheap V12 BMW while you can... but the E65 and E66 cars are also pretty reasonable as well although a lot harder to work on as a diy than the older models.

9 hours ago, sharkfan said:

There are quite a few E38 750's and three E32 750's on ebay at the moment; time to get a fairly cheap V12 BMW while you can... but the E65 and E66 cars are also pretty reasonable as well although a lot harder to work on as a diy than the older models.

I'm loving my E65 in all honesty; the build quality is just superb, so well put together

The biggest difference for me between the E65 and the previous E38 and then x2 E39s is lack of rust. The E65 is so clean underneath, lots of ally, so very little rust. All the suspension components I've had replaced have all come off with zero issues (bar one front drop-link that the nut just turned, but that soon got sorted)... 

The E38 and E39s I had, the underneaths we're fairly rusty, albeit lots of surface rust that soon got cleaned off and areas treated, where they could be

I think the E38 750i would be a superb buy; but it'd have to be kept on top of as it'd soon start to have rust issues, if they're not already underlying