Captain Beaky

Wanted E3 Engine

Hello Everyone

I recently bought an E3 and what do ya know the engine was full of water???

So i'm on the prowl for a big block motor preferably a 2.8, if i can't get a engine then pistons will be good, i have been told the 2002 pistons will fit and first glance on paper they may well do the job.

Any helpers out there?

How original do you want the car to remain?

Ive got an M30B28 taking up space in the lockup.

It came out of a running C-plate E28 528i earlier this year- chap was doing an M50 conversion. I bought it for its autobox to put in my 628, and I still need to split the two- if you don't mind waiting a bit. 

Any pictures of the E3? sounds like an exciting project!!

Evening Sir Anthony

Correct me if i am wrong but the plan was to use only the block to rebuild an engine and keep the carbs

Ah! got you

That's a shame, but  looking through the history of the M30 it does not mention this fact, i know in 76 they added fuel injection but would they have done a block mod?

We can alway add a low pressure fuel pump to the E3 it's a known mod so it negates the need for a take off for mechanical 

The fuel pump on pre fuel injected M30's was mounted on the cylinder head and operated by a lobe on the camshaft.

In theory you could use the e28 short motor with the e3 cylinder head. There was a change to the shape of the coolant passages from an oblong'ish shape to rounds ones to reduce cracking. 

Unless originality is desired, I'd much rather swap over to fuel injection.  Those twin solex carburettors were a pain to set up and keep in tune and thirsty even when on song.

Incidentally, the very first injected e3's carried 'D' jetronic rather than the vastly superior L' jetronic. The control unit for these lived under the passenger seat in a large box and was completely analogue/vacuum in operation. 

1 hour ago, FIVE-OH said:

The fuel pump on pre fuel injected M30's was mounted on the cylinder head and operated by a lobe on the camshaft.

In theory you could use the e28 short motor with the e3 cylinder head. There was a change to the shape of the coolant passages from an oblong'ish shape to rounds ones to reduce cracking. 

Unless originality is desired, I'd much rather swap over to fuel injection.  Those twin solex carburettors were a pain to set up and keep in tune and thirsty even when on song.

Incidentally, the very first injected e3's carried 'D' jetronic rather than the vastly superior L' jetronic. The control unit for these lived under the passenger seat in a large box and was completely analogue/vacuum in operation. 

Correctomondo! I forget the casting number on the old E3 heads but I'm not 101% that the E28 pistons will match the E3 chambers. However, the 358 head on E28's has the mounting flange for the pump so you can drill it through for the pump lever and two mounting studs. I have as suspicion that pre 1980 distributors run the opposite reaction to later ones - they changed them on the M10 engine so you'll need to check. Using the E3 cam with its fuel pump cam and distributor would sort this out. 

13 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Mounting lugs on the block are in the wrong place. A good 2.8 is a fine engine anyway, solid 170-180 bhp to whip it along.

Easily drilled out with the engine out.

All the block's have the required amount of metal there, they are just not tapped on the later car's

On 10/13/2018 at 2:07 PM, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Correctomondo! I forget the casting number on the old E3 heads but I'm not 101% that the E28 pistons will match the E3 chambers. However, the 358 head on E28's has the mounting flange for the pump so you can drill it through for the pump lever and two mounting studs. I have as suspicion that pre 1980 distributors run the opposite reaction to later ones - they changed them on the M10 engine so you'll need to check. Using the E3 cam with its fuel pump cam and distributor would sort this out. 

Dead Right it's on the head

Well you won't believe this but out of the blue a full set of AE pistons, rings and pins +.50 all for £150 what an absolute bargain. So the block is coming out!

Hi Clive, 

Sorry I've been a bit quiet: I'm eyeballs-deep in a house move!!

Good luck with the project chief - I guess you don't need the E28 engine any more?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

not required but thank you very much for the offer, i think keeping the original engine is the best options

Clive