Sign in to follow this  
stonesfan

Burning smell in cabin after harsh braking.

Hi all

Have a problem that's starting to really annoy me now. After firm breaking or a hard turn an a burning smell is present in the cabin. In the right light (ie sun ahead) you can see the odd wisp of smoke from the engine bay during the odour. A local Indy diagnosed the issue as an oil leak from the rocker cover gasket of which was then dropping onto the exhaust after hard braking. Logical. Had gasket replaced. Was still getting the odour. Took back to indy, reckoned gasket repair was fine. They did mention that oil pump housing and sump gasket had a small leak too. Said there was a possibility that the oil could somehow be making its way from there to a hot part of the engine or exhaust. They seem genuine guys at the indy so I'm taking this at face value. £500 to repair both though so a lot of money to spend for a 'could fix it'. 

Any other areas which could be causing this???? 

Thanks again. 

It could be that the rocker cover has warped and/or cracked; they're known to do this!

It could also be that the gasket hasn't sealed correctly and is still leaking

Gasket replacement is an easy DIY; lots of video's and how to's on Google/Youtube etc... Might be worth looking into it again and doing it again etc

IIRC oil won't travel to the mani from the filter housing, but someone else will be a long to yay/nay this etc

Either way; you still have a leak and it needs to be sorted

Thanks Dan. This might have sealed this cars fate!!!! a modern car Germanism if I ever saw one. However....as you say it needs sorting so going to have to man up and get this looked at. 

Pretty sure the Indy said that there was no oil leaking from the gasket area after replacement. Guess its always a good idea to get an assessment from another garage. 

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

It could be that the rocker cover has warped and/or cracked; they're known to do this!

It could also be that the gasket hasn't sealed correctly and is still leaking

Gasket replacement is an easy DIY; lots of video's and how to's on Google/Youtube etc... Might be worth looking into it again and doing it again etc

IIRC oil won't travel to the mani from the filter housing, but someone else will be a long to yay/nay this etc

Either way; you still have a leak and it needs to be sorted

20 minutes ago, stonesfan said:

Thanks Dan. This might have sealed this cars fate!!!! a modern car Germanism if I ever saw one. However....as you say it needs sorting so going to have to man up and get this looked at. 

Pretty sure the Indy said that there was no oil leaking from the gasket area after replacement. Guess its always a good idea to get an assessment from another garage. 

A 2nd opinion from a trusted Indy won't do any harm

If the cover comes off, have it checked over to make sure it's flat where it should be and there are no hairline cracks in it either!

Is it easy for me to check for leaking oil from the gasket???? Am not that skilled but am willing to have a good root about. Which side are the 'hot bits' likely to be. 

Thanks. 

Edited by stonesfan

Have found the culprit. Oil leaking on the offside side of the rocker gasket. Photographed and sent to the indy who did the repair. They have agreed to take the car in and have the gasket reordered and rocker cover inspected again. They seem a decent garage. 

Hoping its an ill fitted gasket or faulty gasket. They will cover this of course. If its a rocker cover though.....well......apart from giving a huge v sign towards BMW's engineering division I'll probably be cancelling my next holiday :angry:

Edited by stonesfan