d_a_n1979

E65 730D - New battery needed

Murdered mine today by running electrics as I've been swapping lights over and testing them etc frown

Trickle charger is saying that the battery is 'broken'; so looks like I need a new one

Can get a pal to code it in for me; but wondering if I actually need an AGM battery; seeing as my E65 doesn't have start/stop technology or whether the big Yuasa HSB019 will do as a replacement?

That's at £130 at Halfords whereas ECP want £320 for a Bosch AGM battery!

Thanks for any help/advice

Edited by d_a_n1979

51 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yuasa HSB019

Not sure if this is the correct battery for your car, but my understanding is Yuasa is for Japan cars.  Bosch which is a rebranded Varta is for BMW cars.

Will a Yuasa battery be any different to Varta?  No idea but for me I will only buy a Varta for my BMW cars  

Yuasa are for any car :roll:;) 

Had them on all my previous BMWs; they make a huge block suited to our requirements

Anyways; update is that I got a power block and got the car going, so taken it for a good run and all seems fine. Fingers crossed it starts fine in the morning as I've chores to do :lol:

Time to get a jump starter for the garage; will probably order this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TACKLIFE-Starter-18000mAh-Portable-Quick-charge/dp/B07BGVKJW9/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1539197117&sr=8-12-spons&keywords=car+battery+jump+starter&psc=1

With trade discount the recommended battery for my car is £100 from Halfords which i would imagine would be the same size

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

You won't need AGM on the E65 unless stop start.

Buy OEM or genuine when it comes to batteries. 

I’d usually agree; but OEM batteries are bloody expensive, whereas the likes of Bosch/Yuasa always come out a lot cheaper and work it’s the same/same specs

I’ve never had any issues replacing batteries before, with the likes of the above mentioned. Just trying to get my head around the AGM part, when my car doesn’t have start/stop tech!

As soon as AGM is mentioned; the price goes through the roof! More so, BMW want £130 to code the battery in!

Edited by d_a_n1979

Realoem will tell you that you can replace an ordinary battery with an AGM so not that helpful!

I don't think you car needs an AGM one so make sure it's the correct size. My E60 was 110Ah! Yes get it coded to the car, so the car knows it's got a new battery in it which has different charge/discharge characteristics which will require the car to alter the charging rate etc. 

Ask on here if a friendly forum member with ISTA will do it for you. Exchange for beer. Simples.

I fitted an Yuasa 110ah from Halfords on my 760li and have had no issues, 

I tried buying an 110ah for the 760li from dealers but was told this had been discontinued and a 90AH AGM was the recommended one, I think it was It was over £300. 

When I had a weak battery, the dash lit up like a Xmas tree, lost ABS, suspension, PAS, EML, gearbox warning, etc, 

i would recomend the Yuasa..

regads

I replaced the Bosch one in my 645 with a Lucas LP019 (95AH) one from Advanced battery supplies on Ebay.

£84 delivered.

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I’d usually agree; but OEM batteries are bloody expensive, whereas the likes of Bosch/Yuasa always come out a lot cheaper and work it’s the same/same specs

oops :oops:  I meant Bosch and BMW OEM batteries are rebranded Varta.  I think this could be cheaper than the Yuasa

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/varta-h3.html

It's all sorted now thanks folks

Battery just run down by me using the lights a lot as I'd been replacing the bulbs etc

Restarted last night and given a good run; been out a lot today too and done nearly 150 faultless miles. Had Torque Pro running to watch voltage and it was bang-on how it should 

;) 

Edited by d_a_n1979

Another vote for Yuasa batteries, had one on my e34. There's a thread on a forum where a battery geek compares one against a Bosch (I forget which Bosch)  and Varta and it comes on top. 

If you're a Costco member pick up a Bosch battery from there. They're the most competitively priced and if you have any problems they'll swap it over for a new one.