JOhnKE39530d

Retrofit split/folding rear seat F10

Does anyone know if its possible to retrofit the split folding rear seats to the F10 -  guessing the seat is the easy bit but would need a latch mechanism on the 'frame' . just wondering if anyone has done the research or completed the mod ?

You would also need to make sure that you had the right body panel (trunk partition) for folding down rear seats as Realoem list two, one with a hole and one without. 

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FR72-EUR-01-2013-F10-BMW-535i&diagId=41_1863

That would certainly rule it out if you didn't have the right one.

The seat frames are all different too.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=FR72-EUR-01-2013-F10-BMW-535i&mg=52

55 minutes ago, JOhnKE39530d said:

Cheers..... I suspected this is the case. I've seen a few with it -  makes the car that bit more practical etc.Thanks

I have this option on myn with through loading.

works out really well can take some images after lunch for you if you want ?

TBH should be standard but hey its BMW right lol

I've used it in mine more times than I have needed to use nav!  It's the first BMW I have had that has this option. 

Unusally the release for the seats is in the boot, mounted under the parcel shelf. 

yes I found that strange, but then I thought it keeps the rear seats clear of having the unsightly release tabs which accumulate rubbish in also.

also guess logic is that your loading stuff longer than boot capacity so you would be at the rear wanting to drop them :)

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I've used it in mine more times than I have needed to use nav!  It's the first BMW I have had that has this option. 

+1.  Wouldn't be without it, had it in my F10, ordered it again for the G30.  

When i purchased my car it was actually sold stating the rear seats folded!!! Wasn't happy when traveled to London to find out that wasn't the case!!!

The guy who was selling it had his pa knock up the add in the Autotrader and didn't think it was an issue. 

That and all 4 wheels had been kerbed but thankfully i managed to knock £800 off the sale!  I do still miss the rear seats going down though especially when all previous cars have had the option by default. Would go as far to say my 2008 civic with it's seats down can fit more luggage than my 5 series.

I too was hoping the would be a retro fit but may consider swapping my car for a 535 Estate or a A6 Avant as i need the room.

F10 seats up, boot capacity is 520 litres I think. Not shabby in volume but it's the trade off for having the poise and balance of the rearwheel drive chassis, decent suspension and wide wheels all of which eat into boot space.

Since I have a G31 now it's not quite the same issue but I've always found it a huge advantage to be able to extend the boot forwards. IMHO as far back as my E39 the 5-series boot hasn't been large enough. It's all very well filling it with ping pong balls or whatever the standard test is, but in the real world with a few suitcases and/or a folded buggy or wheelchair there're other considerations. Split rear seats give plenty of options.

(I looked at the G30 boot and shook my head hence the tourer again).

Edited by Boba

Mine has it and it's dead useful. Although it would be even more useful if the front passenger seat folded to get long wide items in.

I think release in the boot is more a security thing? Smash the glass and you can't get at any goodies stored in the boot as you can't get to the release. I often carry stuff in the boot that you wouldn't want your average scrote getting hold of.

42 minutes ago, shauney said:

Mine has it and it's dead useful. Although it would be even more useful if the front passenger seat folded to get long wide items in.

Yeah the front seat barely folds back and you can't remove the headrest as it is wired to the rest of the seat for the headrest restraint system. Which means I could only get one sheet of 8'x2' chipboard in the car. My Senator used to swallow six at a time, no bother.

3 hours ago, shauney said:

Sadly not the 24v version but still quite rapid for the time.

Lol they had 200+ bhp, 0-60 in 7 secs or so and loads of toys, nothing had that back then except the big BMWs. 

Lovely big barge, electrical nightmare (so set me up well for BMW ownership) but cheap as chips to run. Eats Golf GTis for breakfast. I remember tramping down thru Glencoe in mine, long straights, kick down and pass 8 cars easy.............

13 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Lovely big barge, electrical nightmare (so set me up well for BMW ownership) but cheap as chips to run. Eats Golf GTis for breakfast. I remember tramping down thru Glencoe in mine, long straights, kick down and pass 8 cars easy.............

I don't remember any real electrical gremlins (but it was a long time ago). I remember having to get the gearbox fettled when it lost reverse gear and a vague recollection of a heater matrix problem.

Also the AC never worked when I picked it up. Cost the dealer over £1k to fix it as i'd very carefully backed him in to a corner before I bought it :D

19 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Lol they had 200+ bhp, 0-60 in 7 secs or so and loads of toys, nothing had that back then except the big BMWs. 

Me too! I was a Vauxhall aficionado from when I passed my test (Cresta PA) despite the rust. The Senator was a big powerful bus and insurance back then wasn't as crippling as now. (Nearer 8 seconds 0-60 ISTR but still damn fast).