Jump to content
sams255

F11 Steering Wheel worn leather

Recommended Posts

Being Sunday yesterday I thought I would clean and do the annual auto Glym conditioner on the leather seats. After I cleaned the steering wheel it became apparent how worn it is. I contacted a lady who is mobile and is coming tomorrow to refurbish it and reconnolise (i think she said) the steering wheel. Will post some pics after she does it tomorrow. 

 

Anyone had it done?

IMAG4681.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GStarrr said:

Ex police 530d with a few miles on it is it? :lol:

 

Yes :( , although i added 35k to the total this year. Hopefully as good as new tomorrow. Better than paying £250-350 for a second-hand steering wheel which is either same condition or just a touch better.  

Edited by sams255

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lady sanded the steering wheel back to pure leather itself and cleaned it up and sprayed some chemical mix on there. She actually does very little classic cars. She gets most of her work from dealers to refurb steering wheels for fleet cars or nearly new cars that are gonna be sold. 

IMAG4695.jpg

IMAG4697.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let us know how it holds up but from what i know it doesnt last very long, hence saying she mainly does dealer cars, quick bling to make them look good for the sale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, IINexusII said:

Let us know how it holds up but from what i know it doesnt last very long, hence saying she mainly does dealer cars, quick bling to make them look good for the sale

will do, she did tell me to put leather conditioner on it in a few days once it has completely cured. She said she gets plenty of calls from people who work in hospitals, apparently, the alcohol gel etc attacks the leather in the steering wheels.

Hopefully, this will last a while. only time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks amazing!  Now that it is sprayed does it feel painted or is it still like leather to the touch?

 

Would be interested to see how it holds up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sams255 said:

The lady sanded the steering wheel back to pure leather itself and cleaned it up and sprayed some chemical mix on there. She actually does very little classic cars. She gets most of her work from dealers to refurb steering wheels for fleet cars or nearly new cars that are gonna be sold. 

IMAG4695.jpg

IMAG4697.jpg

That looks like Ruth - recognise the barnet. If so, she has done some work for me in the past and has been excellent...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Hurly_Dog said:

That looks like Ruth - recognise the barnet. If so, she has done some work for me in the past and has been excellent...

it is Ruth.  You local to Southampton ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Chandlers Ford. I first used Ruth's services when she also did body repairs and her work was a really good standard for bumper scuffs etc. I don't think she has been doing body repairs for about ten years now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent result. Luckily my ex-Kent 530D has a wheel in far better condition than yours was, but good to know a refurb is a practical option should it deteriorate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what a transformation. Do keep us updated (as mentioned by others) as I'm keen to see how it holds up. 

 

Might have to see about a group buy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hurly_Dog said:

Yes, Chandlers Ford. I first used Ruth's services when she also did body repairs and her work was a really good standard for bumper scuffs etc. I don't think she has been doing body repairs for about ten years now...

 

Oooh, matron!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, goram said:

Off topic (sorry) but are your ex-OB 530ds modified in anyway? Remapped?

BMW remapped them to 258hp. Different turbo to the 245hp .When BMW make these cars for police services etc. They have the same n57n engine but remapped and more reinforcement in the frame (in case of high speed collision) 

Also comes with an additional battery in the back (good for anyone who has a caravan). Mine didn't come with a towbar for some reason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Where are you guys buying these ex cop cars, and are they very cheap or something?

Auctions., I paid around 7.5k for a 2012. I wanted to use it as a work car as i needed a comfortable estate. It didn't come with service history. But one email under the freedom of information act to Lancashire Constabulary and the next day i was sent the entire history of it.  I did upgrade the NBT and leather seats etc and put Bluetooth in. But had it over a year now and done 35k in it and still going strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They come up on auctions and a few companies trade specifically in ex-police vehicles.

 

I changed to my 2014 530D as I don't like leather, rarely used the inbuilt satnav, needed a diesel for the longer range driving I do over here and the flat beam xenons mean no need for beam deflectors.

 

For around 11k I get the build I like in a 14 plate, albeit some minor damage to put right... a few bits and bobs to refit where it was dekitted. Decent audio, bluetooth phone fit, power tailgate and s**tloads of power with no limiter. Latest test run got me to 172mph by GPS and a launch that's given some of my collegues quite a shock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 7:52 AM, sams255 said:

BMW remapped them to 258hp. Different turbo to the 245hp .When BMW make these cars for police services etc. They have the same n57n engine but remapped and more reinforcement in the frame (in case of high speed collision) 

Also comes with an additional battery in the back (good for anyone who has a caravan). Mine didn't come with a towbar for some reason

 

Are all ex cop cars, remapped, and mainly manual gearboxed, and unfortunately painted white, although I believe a few are starting to come available in silver, having a better residual value than white ones.

Big on miles when they are up for disposal, but well maintained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, vanhool said:

 

Are all ex cop cars, remapped, and mainly manual gearboxed, and unfortunately painted white, although I believe a few are starting to come available in silver, having a better residual value than white ones.

Big on miles when they are up for disposal, but well maintained.

 

Whats wrong with white? Arguably the best looking colour on a lot of modern BMW's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×