sams255

F11 530D Turbo recon

As most regulars know I was losing 1 litre of oil for 2-3k miles. There were no drips or anything in the engine bay. (160k on clock)

A mechanic mate of mine suggested it could be the Turbo. So I thought I'd bite the bullet and take a look see. He got it off and I took it to a turbo company. Universal turbos near ring wood in Hampshire/, Dorset (they were on wheeler dealers) 

They look at it for free and said shaft was worn. So an overhaul cost 295 plus vat. Completely brand new. He did offer to upgrade it, but with speeding points already on the license I declined.

Got it refited, and needed a fitting kit from the dealer which included new feed pipe, return pipe, seals and gaskets. That was around 150. 

Plus mates labour of 240. 

It's always reassuring to see there are still people out there who can fix things for not too much cash.

Too many folk rely on letting the diagnostic machine tell them which part to throw away.

12 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

It's always reassuring to see there are still people out there who can fix things for not too much cash.

Too many folk rely on letting the diagnostic machine tell them which part to throw away.

A new turbo for N57 is around a grand just for the turbo so I preferred to have mine rebuilt as it was cheaper. Universal turbos replaced all the parts internally and electronics and gave 1 year warranty unlimited miles. I know the turbo on N57 doesn't go wrong often. Universal turbos have only rebuilt 2 in the past, but they are doing loads of n47s. Like 5 a week or something silly. 

My f11 was motorway police car according to the papers and  they had the car till around 120k. So I can imagine the turbo has had a hard life. 

23 hours ago, sams255 said:

A new turbo for N57 is around a grand just for the turbo so I preferred to have mine rebuilt as it was cheaper. Universal turbos replaced all the parts internally and electronics and gave 1 year warranty unlimited miles. I know the turbo on N57 doesn't go wrong often. Universal turbos have only rebuilt 2 in the past, but they are doing loads of n47s. Like 5 a week or something silly. 

My f11 was motorway police car according to the papers and  they had the car till around 120k. So I can imagine the turbo has had a hard life. 

At what sort of mileage should one consider getting the turbo recondition in an n47?

I'm approaching 115k at the moment and would like to drive this car into the ground...

Previous golf had to have its turbo replaced at 180k after it went pop in the third lane on the M40...not nice! Would like to avoid that with the F10

2 hours ago, apples12 said:

At what sort of mileage should one consider getting the turbo recondition in an n47?

I'm approaching 115k at the moment and would like to drive this car into the ground...

Well in your case I wouldn't do it, you may replace the turbo to only find out your timing chain starts its death rattle.

Either way you will get to drive the car into the ground.

Both the turbo and chains in the N47 engine can have their life extended by doing regular oil changes. Once a year or 10k miles, whichever comes first. 

If if you have evidence of regular oil changes I wouldn't spend any big money on it, as these engines will go on forever if looked after, more regularly than BMW want you too.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Well in your case I wouldn't do it, you may replace the turbo to only find out your timing chain starts its death rattle.

Either way you will get to drive the car into the ground.

Both the turbo and chains in the N47 engine can have their life extended by doing regular oil changes. Once a year or 10k miles, whichever comes first. 

If if you have evidence of regular oil changes I wouldn't spend any big money on it, as these engines will go on forever if looked after, more regularly than BMW want you too.

Yup it has oil changes every 20k with the dealer and inbetween at 10k intervals which is roughly every 4months

17 hours ago, apples12 said:

Previous golf had to have its turbo replaced at 180k after it went pop in the third lane on the M40...not nice! Would like to avoid that with the F10

Like Andrew said if something's going down. My car was losing oil through turbo. Although small amount, I didn't want to ignore it and then get into the situation where I have to replace dpf /intercooler cos it's all been filled up with ash/oil. 

My car had turbo start to fail at 160k, it was a police interceptor on motorway, So was driven very hard. You shouldn't have much issues. Remember after any long journeys let it idle for around 90 seconds before turning it off. I cringe when I see people come off on motorway services and just turn their engines off. 

11 hours ago, sams255 said:

Remember after any long journeys let it idle for around 90 seconds before turning it off. I cringe when I see people come off on motorway services and just turn their engines off. 

Yeah, the manufacturers would never sell any turbo cars if they had to advise people to do that. 20 odd years ago I had a petrol turbo and I would always do that - when a couple of miles from my destination, drove gently if possible so the turbo had less work to do, and then let it idle for a while before I switched off. Technology has improved a lot since them though, both turbos and engine oil, they are more tolerant now of just being switched off immediately, but it is still good advice and I'd do the same today.