RichD1

2002 E39 windscreen washers not working

My washers stopped working a couple of months back. I initially checked the fuses which were Ok and then bought a replacement pump but that wouldn't work either and then measured there was no voltage on the wires going to the pump. I then swapped out the ECU general module for a unit off eBay and that didn't help either.

Pulling the washer stalk on the steering column cause the wipers to start so that should mean that the switch in the column is OK.

So where next?

Richard

I had this problem. Changed the pumps, and nothing. 

I never sorted it, just used the intensive wash instead, sorry that wasn't very helpful 

Are the pumps defo not working?

mine worked but no fluid coming out from blocked filters on the end of the pumps. The tank gets a soapy goo in it over time. 

The rear washer and headlight washer both work. Tank is clean. As I said there is no power getting to the main pump. All fuses are OK and I swapped out the General Module with no affect. If the wipers move when the washer stalk is pulled up tends to suggest that the column switch is OK.

Could it be the general module and it was just bad luck that the one I replaced it with also had the same problem??? I don't think so but where else could there be a problem. 

Richard

My local Indie did a computer diagnostics and it turns out to be the cable run from the General Module to the washer pump.

How easy is it to get a new cable run in from the pump to the GM?

If that's the one behind the glove box, i would say its a bit of a nightmare depending on how much time you have. 

Easist way is dash out and you can access the module from above. 

Otherwise you can remove the just glove box but its hard to see from the low angle yoid be sitting in the foot well 

Maybe im wrong, its been about 18 months since i messed with an e39

Edited by Piper

Access to the GM is good when the glovebox is dropped out.

I just need to find an easy way to get a wire from there down to the washer pump on the inner wing.

Richard