Jump to content
soorooshg

My New M5 3.6

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Pleased to finally be able to show my new daily driver, one of the best specced I’ve come across. At least 3 of the previous owners were on the forum, the car has a huge folder of papers, and was indeed originally owned by David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. 

 

Theres a huge thread on here somewhere about the majority of the work that has been put into this over a period of time. Everything from Small bits of trim to engine & gearbox rebuild and extensive amounts of bodywork including full respray in Diamondschwarz. 

 

Interior is black extended leather, with I think all but one option. Includes sunroof, memory seats, heated front & seat seats, automatic speed hold (cruise control before it was cruise control!), dual zone climate control (with complete new AC system) and much much more. Condition of the interior is very tidy considering the age, the seats I believe were restored a few years back but don’t look like they’ve been looked after too much, they could do with a good replenishing treatment. Beautiful new headlining with the softest fabric you’ve ever touched. 

 

Bought it just over 2 months ago but due to an issue it went straight to the garage for about 6 weeks. So far I’ve loved every minute of driving this thing, it’s a lot faster than I expected, especially for it being the 3.6 so that relieved me a lot. The whole feel of the car is totally different to my 525 sport, on that it felt like a lorry going round a turn, the front would go in then 5 minutes later the back follows round. The whole suspension and steering feeling is insane, it feels like a small car. Got an Eisenmann exhaust, rear section I believe, which sounds insane, paired with the equal length manifold & high lift cams it sounds like a V8 on idle, and vibrates everything in close range. Up at 7,000rpm it screams but still with a deep tone when it’s under load, sounds fabulous. It’s also got a lightweight flywheel which allows it to rev up so fast it’s unbelievable for such a big engine, also adds to the rumbly idle sound. 

 

I do have a question however, is this car fitted with cats? Ie. From factory? Couldn’t find any info on it and I asked my mechanic about a decat and he said he’s pretty sure it doesn’t have any anyway. Or if one of the previous owners could clarify I would appreciate it. 

 

All in all I’m absolutely delighted with it despite it already costing me almost £3,500 only in garage & repair bills. And of course the petrol consumption is abysmal to say the least. Driving it properly around town won’t give me more than 8-10mpg, motorway would make it probably 15 maybe 20. Currently waiting on a new clutch master cylinder to arrive as that decided to give way on me last week. Also got a problem with I think the sunroof drains as there was a huge amount of water under the carpets on the passenger side. 

3FDD6BE7-1BDC-4ED0-88C8-92336A413441.jpeg

63525DEC-06C2-4DCC-BD21-4F1AE380C065.jpeg

3534E5EF-8ED5-4F7C-9DA4-A81673D1F919.jpeg

591BD95C-C147-4B88-B56C-43C6AD34AD5E.jpeg

FA71F706-8F48-45C3-90AE-9F7F0ABB8B69.jpeg

8AC3E1DB-4BFB-4329-BD24-E8A698D9FD6D.jpeg

869C4671-8631-4C06-9588-01A331B1D2C2.jpeg

6D2CC253-C57B-44A7-84C4-30924107A9AE.jpeg

81713934-6D47-4A88-A641-46BCD809AE81.jpeg

8A6A253A-1C8B-4288-996E-19C3724187D7.jpeg

D2981C34-ED35-4A07-9FB7-D6175A3636FE.jpeg

E3364717-F64F-4249-BE48-E470E11B8E00.jpeg

B3E54184-A486-42F7-A6AE-CFE73DC1F579.jpeg

48A0063A-FE21-4E4A-BC92-DFDD1F8863CE.jpeg

2B7BDAC1-0674-4E3D-A937-494D1632BA41.jpeg

4DBF54C3-F3A7-47CB-A394-6FD884B16CE9.jpeg

85564BE9-B573-48F2-8696-C195AF7B7784.jpeg

589301C9-C40E-43D3-8125-89C09F57AAB5.jpeg

B6A8CE31-110B-4BFA-9620-20F122FE209C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's one lovely M5 :wub:   Just check the bulkhead drains as these rust allowing water into the interior ( water from the window screen ) and the passenger

side has relays behind the carpets, Have the front sunroof drains been rerouted outside into the arch? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Carl-e34 said:

That's one lovely M5 :wub:   Just check the bulkhead drains as these rust allowing water into the interior ( water from the window screen ) and the passenger

side has relays behind the carpets, Have the front sunroof drains been rerouted outside into the arch? 

Where are the bulkhead drains located? Not an expert on this unfortunately. Funnily enough when I bought the car the sunroof wasn’t functioning, the seller said he doesn’t know the issue as he never got round to looking at it. Only yesterday I decided to take the panel off to find it was never plugged in! However it only opens but doesn’t tilt, are they all supposed to tilt? When it’s closed if I press the button the back lifts up about half an inch and then stops, like it’s going to tilt. Does it have a separate motor for that? 

 

Re. The sunroof drains honestly I have no idea, will have to investigate further. 

1 hour ago, cableguy said:

Good to read you're finally enjoying the car. ;)

 

No Cats btw.

 

C.

Thanks Carl, and perfect! Just what I wanted to hear. 

 

1 hour ago, boiliebasher said:

Nice. Congrats that is all sorted now and you are now able to enjoy your new pride and joy! :)

Thank you! Don’t think I’ll ever get bored of this, just the sound alone is addictive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, soorooshg said:

Where are the bulkhead drains located? Not an expert on this unfortunately. Funnily enough when I bought the car the sunroof wasn’t functioning, the seller said he doesn’t know the issue as he never got round to looking at it. Only yesterday I decided to take the panel off to find it was never plugged in! However it only opens but doesn’t tilt, are they all supposed to tilt? When it’s closed if I press the button the back lifts up about half an inch and then stops, like it’s going to tilt. Does it have a separate motor for that? 

 

Re. The sunroof drains honestly I have no idea, will have to investigate further. 

Thanks Carl, and perfect! Just what I wanted to hear. 

 

Thank you! Don’t think I’ll ever get bored of this, just the sound alone is addictive. 

 

 Hi

 The bulkhead drains are behind the little plastic trim under the front arches. The E34's are now at the age where these are becoming an issue.

  You will see the drains once the trim is removed If you see any bubbles these might be the issue.

 But if the A posts have been repaired sometimes the drains at the bottom can get blocked also resulting in a wet interior ....

 

 The sunroof should tilt ... It could just need lubricating ( lack of use) as the motor is working 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great looking car, i think the Spoiler delete on the rear boot is such a good look...

Look forward to seeing this in the flesh at some point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 12:40 AM, Carl-e34 said:

 

 Hi

 The bulkhead drains are behind the little plastic trim under the front arches. The E34's are now at the age where these are becoming an issue.

  You will see the drains once the trim is removed If you see any bubbles these might be the issue.

 But if the A posts have been repaired sometimes the drains at the bottom can get blocked also resulting in a wet interior ....

 

 The sunroof should tilt ... It could just need lubricating ( lack of use) as the motor is working 

 

Thanks, I’ll give it a look at when I get some time. She’s going to BM Sport for a new clutch master cylinder next week so I might get them to check out the sunroof while they’re at it. 

 

On 10/4/2018 at 1:35 PM, mumbojumbo said:

Great looking car, i think the Spoiler delete on the rear boot is such a good look...

Look forward to seeing this in the flesh at some point. 

Thanks, yeah I was a bit iffy at the lack of spoiler at first as my 525 has one and I really like the look of it. However with the car being black on black I think it definitely gives it a much smarter look, I guess it’s down to personal preference. I need to find some good meets/shows to attend now, although it’s not really the right season. Or even if we could arrange a Small forum meet somewhere near London. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2018 at 10:15 PM, duncan-uk said:

We've had a few Herts meets before but not for a while. Maybe we should resurrect it. 

A bit far for me but if it’s going to be a solid turnout I’m sure it’d be worth the drive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhh someone else foolish enough to daily their M5 :D  It looks great!

 

Glad you've got the issues all sorted and can finally enjoy it. Interesting to read about the lightened flywheel as that is something I am contemplating for mine at some point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don;t see why it shouldn't be a daily driver, it was meant to be one after all.

 

Yes it will need TLC and a careful eye out for corrosion but enjoy it, that's what its for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 2:19 PM, duncan-uk said:

I don;t see why it shouldn't be a daily driver, it was meant to be one after all.

 

Yes it will need TLC and a careful eye out for corrosion but enjoy it, that's what its for!

 

Couldn't agree more, thats why mine is in pretty much in daily use too. I was only joking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bumbaclut said:

you boys must be ok with welding and an extensive wallet for the 18 mpg thirst 

I’d be happy with 18mpg haha, getting pretty much half of that during spirited driving. Maybe 13-14 around town

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×