Mr_530i

No more Manual BMW - Well 3 Series that is!

8 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Engaging cruise seems a bit of a faff but it cuts throttle rather than applying brakes. 

Good point - hadn't considered throttle. Yes, it's not something I do regularly, but there's a long steep hill I use regularly that has a 30mph restriction - handy for that.  

What's happening?

According to Ray Massey, motoring correspondant of the Daily Mail, the new three series initally will be available in three engines - two diesels and one petrol, with a new six speed MANUAL gearbox or eight speed auto. Orders from next month for delivery in March.

I too read somewhere else that the new three series would only be available in automatic.  Could this be for the USA market only?

Answers on a postcard only please.:blink:

Edited by oldjohnny
more info

22 hours ago, oldjohnny said:

What's happening?

According to Ray Massey, motoring correspondant of the Daily Mail,

There is your issue....nothing printed in the Daily Whail or by anyone who writes for them can be taken seriously 

Can't understand that with the sales figures as they are. Or does it mean that everything in the Sun must be true?

IMG_0740.JPG

Hi,

According to the source posted by the OP, it's the petrol powered new 3 series which won't have any manual gearbox option. The 318d and 320d Diesel variants will have an option for a manual grearbox.

It must also be kept in mind that perhaps 90% of the worlds driving population have zero 'interest' or 'enthusiasm' for cars and driving, they just see cars as tools for getting from A to B so they won't give a hoot about a manual gearbox or not. 

Will it push the asking prices for older manual BMW's ..  possibly and quite likely. What the 'actual selling' prices are will be another story as over time the move to electric cars will happen and the costs for running a fossil fueled car ramp up higher and higher...

Cheers, Dennis!

4 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

It must also be kept in mind that perhaps 90% of the worlds driving population have zero 'interest' or 'enthusiasm' for cars and driving, they just see cars as tools for getting from A to B so they won't give a hoot about a manual gearbox or not. 

Yup, and they are Daily Mail readers who buy awful cars such as the Nissan Joke.

26 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yup, and they are Daily Mail readers who buy awful cars such as the Nissan Joke.

To enthusiasts, the Nissan Ju(O)ke isn't nice at all !

To my mum, who has a 10 month old example... she loves it! Does all she needs, allows her to do her grandma stuff, do the shopping and she has a really nice level of spec! The only 'nod' she mentioned to 'driving' is that she enjoys the relative elevated driving position which she prefers in a car. Driving dynamics, looks register precisely zero and finally, I don't think she's EVER purchased a newspaper !!

Cheers, Dennis!

My X-gf had one of those Nissan puke things and what a pile of crap that was!! I think it was only a couple of years old with about 20k miles on the clock and it was horrendous to drive!! Gear shift/ selection was just cringe. Hated driving it that much I made it clear to her I'd rather walk to do the weekly shop than use that abomination of car.

Then again I only really got in the bloody thing when I wanted a lift back from the pub! :lol:

^ in 2000/1 i got a job that came with a company car, on day one they gave me a lease Primera until i got to chose my own car. It was ghastly.

It would trigger the abs on the same dry steep hill every day, after a couple of weeks i handed it back and preferred to use my saab 900 with about 150k at the time. Much nicer, but i'm sure for many the new car would be seen as "better"

On 10/7/2018 at 5:13 PM, DennisCooper said:

Are we still car enthusiasts, with our nice synchro gear boxes, disc brakes, sound deadening, HID lighting, stereos, sat nav, etc. etc? Every generation thinks they grew up with motoring nirvana and everything that comes afterwards is ruining it for 'real drivers'.

As long as there are cars, there will be enthusiasts, and they'll be just as enthusiastic as us. They'll grow up with whatever cars/technology happens to be around at that time and they'll think that whatever comes after that is taking away from the 'purity' they grew up with. And they'll moan about it on forums.

I hear you but I do think the modern car has become disposable and running and learning about them by having and old knacker is going to be a thing of the past whatever generation you are. 

Well, most young people will never be able to buy anything other than an old knacker... whatever that means at the time.

But also, the only reason we think running a knacker is important to being an ‘enthusiast’ is because that’s our experience. If cars change then the importance of owning a knacker might change too..

I think you're wrong. Many kids  seem to have nice cars I assume on lease/ finance. 

They cant afford a house so stay with mum and dad and have a disposable income. 

I doht theink the car jas the appeal it once did. 

Many dont even even want to drive or even learn 

Regardless, older generations are bound to claim that they’re ‘real’ enthusiasts, because they like proper cars. Well maybe they’re actually just nostalgia enthusiasts, because a real car enthusiast would find any car interesting, whether it’s electric, petrol, manual, auto, steam powered, whatever.

Personally, I’m just as interested in an electric car as I am a big V8 powered barge (I’ve owned a few of the latter and would love to own the former). And I haven’t driven a manual in years and can’t say I miss it one bit. If I have to like manuals to be an enthusiast then I must not be an enthusiast.

17 hours ago, Spandex said:

Are we still car enthusiasts, with our nice synchro gear boxes, disc brakes, sound deadening, HID lighting, stereos, sat nav, etc. etc? Every generation thinks they grew up with motoring nirvana and everything that comes afterwards is ruining it for 'real drivers'.

As long as there are cars, there will be enthusiasts, and they'll be just as enthusiastic as us. They'll grow up with whatever cars/technology happens to be around at that time and they'll think that whatever comes after that is taking away from the 'purity' they grew up with. And they'll moan about it on forums.

Personally I am more bothered about new BMW manual car availability for me rather then the next generation.... 

Sadly as we go to the electric cars, the need for manual boxes will disappear completely. A leccie motor generates a huge amount of torque the moment it starts to turn even at a low rpm it doesn't need gears. ICE need gears to keep them at their optimum power/torque/efficiency. Again that's why Diesel engines that have been strangled for emissions need many many gears (8 speed auto in F10) to get it to give the performance we* want from a car.

Hybrids need special transmissions again to mate the combined ICE and leccie motor outputs together and they are truly dreadful!  Anyone* who has had the misfortune to drive a CVT hybrid Lexus will know what I mean. It's a horrible thing to be in and listen too.  But if you are a Daily Mail reader^ you will love it, and you can tell your neighbours that you are saving the planet.

* Petrol head enthusiast!

^ someone who knows squat about cars.

The electric thing I get. It's different tech and I'm sure a very different driving experience so no gearbox is fine. 

For a I/c engined car I like a manual though I'm yet to try a new dsg box or similar. 

43 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

new dsg box or similar. 

They work best in a car which needs driven like you stole it, Golf R for example which is proper frighteningly quick. Been a passenger in one, white knuckle ride that was.

I've driven a tamed version of a DSG box in a Passat, not as slick as a proper waftomatic autobox and defo not a manual.

And of course I drive my 8 speed auto probably about have the time using the paddles in manual mode, which is enjoyable and gives a feeling of I'm in control thanks very much.

Tips will be a thing of the past.  All household items will have a pre-determined expiry date at which stage they will self destruct and disappear up their own jacksey.