Sign in to follow this  
Colin L

BMW Connected Drive portal is a bit flaky

This is for a new G30 (September 18)

When trying to download ; 

1 month trial of Office 365 or Music trial, Concierge or anything for that matter I get repeated errors over the last week.   Latest it tells me it already pbooked in the car, buts its not.

For a couple of days said the 360 view was available for a couple of days even though my car is not equipped for that.

Tried the app, browser and in the car all to no avail.

Out of interest has anyone got/tried/using Office 365 with the Skype (assuming its now available)?

Anyone else having similar woes?

Thanks.

I've not been able to get on the Connected Drive portal for weeks now - I think it must be ab issue with my profile, rather than technology. I've emailed them twice, with no response. When I get chance, going to ring them

No experience of Office, etc but then I've learned over the years not to invest too much in Cnnnected Drive.  I've been signed up for years, first on an E60 in 2009, then 2 F10s and now a new G30.  It's as flaky now as it ever was.  Think of it as DisconnectedDrive.  I can log into it on a laptop and see remaining range, etc.  As to the services booked, this appears to vary with each login.  On the app (both iOS & Android) it rarely updates car status and can never locate the car.  Sending locations to car is a lottery.  You would think if the app is powered by Google, then what you can search for and find in Google Maps you could also search for and find in the app. But no. 

Curiously, on an old Android phone I have the old BMW Remote App and that still works as it should.  So it seems the car is getting the info to BMW's servers but the apps are selective in if/when they access the data.  I conclude BMW are car builders, not software developers.

'I conclude BMW are car builders, not software developers.'

I agree with that all the way! Connected drive is pretty flaky (although mine has been partially working for a while now). It's supposed to pick up destinations from my google diary and transfer them to the car satnav automatically; I think that's worked twice in the last 10 months! OTA map updates is a total disaster. The dealer has checked my car and says it's all set up OK  for OTA updates but it has never worked (and BMW customer service don't have a clue).

Mine hasn't received a single OTA update since registration in May 17. USB every time.

But OTOH the App always seems to locate the car OK although if it's not been driven for a bit it doesn't update the date it was last checked  much (perhaps unsurprisingly).

Edited by Boba

SO a few weeks later, no joy despite several email exchanges with BMW, they've gone quiet. Cannot get anything installed of connected drive via App, webrowser or in car.  COME ON BMW this is BLOODY USELESS !!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, SuperDave said:

If youre trying with Android just give up, Apple integration still seems to be way ahead. 

Remarkable really seeing how Apple is usually so difficult to network properly with anything else.

reminds me of when we were in an Apple Store and my wife asked an assistant what the 'i' stood for in iPhone, iPad etc. He didn't know, but wasn't pleased when I suggested it stood for 'incompatible'. ;)

After 4 weeks and BMW ConnectedDrive seemingly giving up by email, they are ignoring me now - I took the car into a BMW dealer.    So after the first 30 mins when they all assumed I was just another numpty doing it wrong they finally realised it was genuinely not working as it should, lots of scratching of heads and they finally got the master technician down to have a look, lots more scratching of heads......  Its now booked in for two weeks time to go on the diagnostics machine so they can get the in car logs over the BMW.....  I don't  hold much hope as the dealer was saying "well the car looks ok so it must be the other end and we can't do much more than you when it comes to BMWconnected drive".  Seems to me they are trying to chuck it over the fence to each other.  Does not fill me with confidence.....   Will let you know once I've got the car back from them on the 12th. 

For info I was trying to download the office 365 and the entertainment trial and  currently considering if the Apple Carplay is worth the £230....   Mind you its a moot point as I can't get anything to load onto the car still.  Odd because the remote control functionality all works perfectly and now the weather is getting cold my personal favourite is the climatise car option, hit  the button  on the app 10 mins before you are leaving and get into a toasty warm car with a cleared windscreen.  Mind you it would be great if they could give you an option to activate the rear screen defroster as well..........

On 27/10/2018 at 07:34, Colin L said:

For info I was trying to download the office 365 and the entertainment trial and  currently considering if the Apple Carplay is worth the £230....   Mind you its a moot point as I can't get anything to load onto the car still.  Odd because the remote control functionality all works perfectly and now the weather is getting cold my personal favourite is the climatise car option, hit  the button  on the app 10 mins before you are leaving and get into a toasty warm car with a cleared windscreen.  Mind you it would be great if they could give you an option to activate the rear screen defroster as well..........

Colin, you need to give it longer than 10 mins. I set a departure time in the app as I am predictable every morning. The car takes ambient temp and figures when to start warming for departure time. On that basis, the rear screen also gets cleared.

1 hour ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Colin, you need to give it longer than 10 mins. I set a departure time in the app as I am predictable every morning. The car takes ambient temp and figures when to start warming for departure time. On that basis, the rear screen also gets cleared.

Does this function start the engine by the way? My 4 series has a really poor 'ventilate' function via the app, but it doesn't start the engine - just basically circulates air around a bit. Hoping the 5er is better?

58 minutes ago, CFD said:

Does this function start the engine by the way? My 4 series has a really poor 'ventilate' function via the app, but it doesn't start the engine - just basically circulates air around a bit. Hoping the 5er is better?

No this works best (only?) on the 530e when it heats (or cools) using the High Voltage battery.

16 minutes ago, carrman said:

No this works best (only?) on the 530e when it heats (or cools) using the High Voltage battery.

14 minutes ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Another great reason for having a 530e...

Cheers chaps. Good to know.

More flakiness today.  It is now 19:45 GMT.  At 08:30 GMT today, I had a meeting, 72 miles away from where I am now.  The App has just informed me I need to leave now to get there for my meeting almost 12 hours ago.  Go figure.

11 hours ago, Johnny Grabble said:

More flakiness today.  It is now 19:45 GMT.  At 08:30 GMT today, I had a meeting, 72 miles away from where I am now.  The App has just informed me I need to leave now to get there for my meeting almost 12 hours ago.  Go figure.

The old 'Connected' app used to do this to me all the time. The calendar functions are garbage.

Aside from the annoyance factor, watching Celebrity Hunted this week i was slightly perturbed by how the hunters seemed to be tracking the various beemers being used by the "celebs", just how insecure is ConnectedDrive and the telematics? 

Like so much these days once they've got your email it's down to how good your password is. For many folk not very it seems.