MOGGIEMANIA

Android 7.1 10.25" screen

Hi  

I have just fitted a 10.25" Android 7.1 screen in my F11.

The model is designed for an F10/F11 2010 - early 2012. looks great and the Sat Nav is also excellent.

Like most things from China, there are no instructions.

Only problem is that I am unable to get sound from the androids video and music, except through a set of headphones which bypassed the Head Unit.

Don't think that the sound is speaking to the head unit and then on to the car speakers.

The cars original Music and CD's are playing through the head unit setup fine.

The Android unit is apparently Plug and Play.

Does anyone have experience of such devices?

I have a standard Head Unit with Bluetooth option and DAB radio.

I am not even sure if they class this as a CIC.

Radio Professional (F-Series)

Thanks john

I think you have to connect it to the aux port in the centre armrest. Would be very curious to see if you get this working and what the sound quality is like. How is the screen quality, boot up time and speed of the unit?

Hi Moggiemania,

I know of the units and they are good for what they cost too.

I do know they are only compatible if your car has a Aux Input and I know it sounds stupid, but do you have an Aux input? It could be that a connection from the connector pins is possibly loose resulting in the Aux Audio not working?

Malcolm

Hi. You are both correct that the Aux port does the trick. I had aurika moment on the way home from work and plugged the cable in. I was working on the phylosophy that the Aux out cable from the screen was for head phones. I was expecting the sound to find its way to the head unit through the numerous other connector wires.   

The quality of sound when playing a film is great. The unit has a demo film trailer which you can play through the video. The car is filled with surround sound quality.

Two extra USB connectors are provided. I have these fed through to the glove box. 

I am also impressed with the satnav as my H U did not have one. You have a choice of navigation apps you can use with a free 2018 download of the UK and a number of European countries.

The screen quality is also excellent. All in all I paid £360.

I have been able to fit a rear view camera as the screen has a pre wired camera in plug.

The camera automatically comes on when you engage reverse. You also have the ability to view the rear camera at any point in time. I imagine I can keep an eye on the hitch while towing the caravan.

All i have to do now is find a descrete way of hiding the Aux cable into the central console.

I will add pictures in a few days.

John

On 10/2/2018 at 10:52 PM, MOGGIEMANIA said:

Hi. You are both correct that the Aux port does the trick. I had aurika moment on the way home from work and plugged the cable in. I was working on the phylosophy that the Aux out cable from the screen was for head phones. I was expecting the sound to find its way to the head unit through the numerous other connector wires.   

The quality of sound when playing a film is great. The unit has a demo film trailer which you can play through the video. The car is filled with surround sound quality.

Two extra USB connectors are provided. I have these fed through to the glove box. 

I am also impressed with the satnav as my H U did not have one. You have a choice of navigation apps you can use with a free 2018 download of the UK and a number of European countries.

The screen quality is also excellent. All in all I paid £360.

I have been able to fit a rear view camera as the screen has a pre wired camera in plug.

The camera automatically comes on when you engage reverse. You also have the ability to view the rear camera at any point in time. I imagine I can keep an eye on the hitch while towing the caravan.

All i have to do now is find a descrete way of hiding the Aux cable into the central console.

I will add pictures in a few days.

John

Hi John,

I'm waiting for more to turn up in the post. Am I right in thinking that it is plug and play for the head unit, but you need to plug a 3.5mm lead from the centre arm rest back in to the head unit?

Dan 

Hi 

good video.

It does seem a bit antiquated to use the AUX jack socket i must admit..

My Head Unit is very basic. It is not the large CIC unit, no DVD or Sat Nav.

Also one thing i have noticed is that the sound quality from the IGO online sat Nav is really poor through the AUX Jack. 

When playing a video however through the sound quality through the AUX is excellent.

So at the moment , it does not add up.

Somemore time is required to be spent on it.

John

On 26/10/2018 at 12:35, MOGGIEMANIA said:

Hi 

good video.

It does seem a bit antiquated to use the AUX jack socket i must admit..

My Head Unit is very basic. It is not the large CIC unit, no DVD or Sat Nav.

Also one thing i have noticed is that the sound quality from the IGO online sat Nav is really poor through the AUX Jack. 

When playing a video however through the sound quality through the AUX is excellent.

So at the moment , it does not add up.

Somemore time is required to be spent on it.

John

Hi John,

I'm about to start stripping and installing mine after my coffee, how did you route the rear camera through the car, and how does the rear boot cover come apart?

So today I fitted the head unit, prepared the DAB antenna and USB, but didn't fit the rear camera as I can't find a good video or set of instructions for the tailgate.

So first of all I laid out the hardware to get an idea of the set up.

I planned to have the DAB aerial on the passenger side, up the A- Pillar on the windscreen. I have seen others put it in wheel arches or rear windows. Their is enough cable to run it anywhere.

I had to modify the plastic box that is fitted to the roof of the glove box, I cut a hole in the left and right side of it. This will allow the DAB aerial to enter it from the left and the 2 x USB from the new head unit on the right, one of these is used to connect to the DAB unit. 

1. Next I popped the vent strip (disconnect 3 x wires)

2. Remove the heater control (2 x T20 screws, they are all T20) and pull it free from 4 x metal studs)

3. Remove the screen (2 x T20 screws)

4. Remove the CD unit (another 2 screws)

5. Use the new loop to split between the car system and new head unit, you have to remove the green optical lead from the old to new male harness. and plug 3 x white blocks from new loom in to new screen (you will have a spare block of the 4)

6. This was a bit of a bugger, but according to the Facebook forum and supplier you have to connect a 3.5mm AUX lead (male to male) to a female in the new harness to the AUX in the centre arm rest. I removed the gear shift trip, and lifted up the centre box (again 2 more T20 screws, which I then dropped in to the tunnel) if you lift up the rubber bottom cover I poked the aux lead through that one in to the fame next to the USB. As it turns out O did not need to drill a hole there as BMW have 2 already there. DOH. 

I have tried it and seems ok so far. It comes with IGO as the android nav software, I will install WAZE (recommended) or use google maps. You can switch back to the BMW native firmware. I had a small screen and when in BMW mode that will remain the same with a generic data screen on the righthand side. This can only be changed by having the larger (double din) BMW unit / hard drive in. 

I could get it to connect to my house WIFI but it would not down load any apps, just kept indicating it was down loading, I tethered it to my mobile (using my mobile as a hotspot) but no joy either. I might just mirror my phone when using google Maps as I have unlimited data, but only 8gb tether per month. 

I did ask the seller about the new USBs and do they supplement the existing ones, but no reply. 

I have 1 in the armrest, charges and allows my to play music from my USB stick (64GB, 32 used) 

1 in the glove box, this will not play music or be read from, is it a BMW update port?

2 new ones from the android unit, they are 2 females, that plug in to the rear of the unit. I'm using one for the DAB unit as that has a USB to USB (hope it fits) and a small 2 coax mini from the aerial. 

I'm still unsure as to why you have to have the 3.5mm AUX plugged in, but I will have a play around later and report back. 

If anyone plans o getting one and live in the south west, I'm more than happy to help fit it, as I took about 2.5 to 3 hours and found it a bit frustrating ( I really hate removing trip in cars)

Essentially it is a Android Tablet that piggybacks the cars information / data / and control system and is also touch screen.

Dan

20181028_094631.jpg

20181028_101805.jpg

20181028_105055.jpg

20181028_105102.jpg

20181028_105734.jpg

20181028_122018.jpg

Edited by dsgrnmcm

Got mine on order. With reverse camera and DAB included.

Excellent upgrade to the mega-basic stereo/cd, will add satnav ability which is nice to have now and then, but the reverse camera will negate the hassle of retrofitting PDC.

May fit DAB, but possibly not as I tend to stick with one station I like so not really much point. Before someone asks, it was included in the package, I didn't add it.

On 30/10/2018 at 08:19, HandyAndy_UK said:

Got mine on order. With reverse camera and DAB included.

Excellent upgrade to the mega-basic stereo/cd, will add satnav ability which is nice to have now and then, but the reverse camera will negate the hassle of retrofitting PDC.

May fit DAB, but possibly not as I tend to stick with one station I like so not really much point. Before someone asks, it was included in the package, I didn't add it.

So Today I started to fit the rear camera, I got as far as passing a cable through the rear seat to the boot. I can not get the boot trim off. I have found some instructions, buy dammened if I can get it off. 

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f11-520d-tou/repair-manuals/41-body/41-62-tailgate/Dc6CAfZ6

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 20.17.17.png

I'm slightly luckier with mine... being ex-police it has the 'easily removed trim' option (the fleet guys didn't put it all back properly). From what I can see the large trim shown in the TIS pics is removed from the ends first, by carefully just pulling until the plastic plugs come out of their holes.

I should be collecting mine at some stage tomorrow but when I get the chance to fit it is another matter. I'm thinking of routing the camera cable up the LH A pillar, taped to underside of the roof (roof lining is easy to drop),  then through the hinges with the existing cabling into the tailgate. Connecting to power locally and the trigger line to the reverse lights (where required) should prove easy then.

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

Initial downside to mine..... I ordered for a 2014 with CIC... and the unit I got has the 6 pin blue/green LVDS socket rather than the purple 4 pin my existing kit has. The seller is organising correction though... he's been nothing except helpful so far.

So if you're thinking of ordering one, check the colour of socket on your existing screen first... they are not interchangeable

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

Well apparently I don't have CIC after all.... sent the seller some pics of my connections and he's adamant I actually have NBT.  Odd given my display looks just like the pics of CIC output.

Oh well... anyone wanna buy one of these for CIC? :wacko: