keliuss

Which glow plugs for N47?

Does anyone have experience ordering/replacing GPs in an N47 engine? I am trying to source the correct part as cheap as possible (cos I'm a tight git :D). Realoem has the item listed HERE but I'm having difficulty identifying it exactly.

Multiple online car parts websites confuse the matter no end by listing two different types for an E60 520D 177bhp even after specifying it's LCI production date of 10/2007.

One is 5v and 106mm long and the other is 7v and 134mm long. All other specs/dimensions are the same. The shorter part seems to be associated with the M47 engine but I have not found anything definitive. Some sites allow me to specify N47 engine but then list only the shorter version with the description saying it's for the M47. Very confusing!!

I have 4 of the shorter type bought but am now leaning towards the longer type being correct but would like someone to reassure me before I pull the car apart to find out for myself.

Anyone???

Keliuss

Thanks dj. Googling it from here does give plenty of hits, mostly ebay or without any dimension details, but only one google return (onlinecarparts co uk) which I seem to have missed earlier seems to give dimensions as the 134mm type. Confusingly that same site also has an offering for the same part number as the 106mm type, but mostly they are the longer type. 

Mostly my confusion stems from ALL online sites which allow you to input car make, model, year etc. will offer you the seemingly wrong, short type glow plug. Including the site I named above.

Perhaps I should have more confidence in Realoem com

Keliuss

Best going in and removing them first to be sure of the length.  It will only take a couple of days to deliver a new batch even from ebay with next day delivery if offered. Controllers are also well priced at the minute.   I changed the lot last winter on my E60 530d and the difference in cold weather was very evident.  No more smoke on start up, but this years freezy cold will be interesting.

Thank you all for the replies. Only got around to changing them this week and can confirm they are the longer 134mm type for my N47 engine.

I got pretty lucky with with one of them where I found the threads damaged on removal, but luckily no trace of any aluminium threads from the block. New one went in (a bit stiffly, but) ok. 

In hindsight, I would be very very reluctant to attempt to remove glow plugs ever again due to the risks involved. If one seizes and you snap it off you could just leave it in situ without major issues but if you strip the threads in the block it suddenly becomes a major job to remedy. I had 2 of my 4 GPs failed with error codes in ISTA-D, and my advice to anyone else in a similar situation would be to leave well alone unless you live in a climate of severe cold winters and are actually having cold-start issues.

Keliuss

20181025_185007.thumb.jpg.7da11cb942ef405a70a59d8768d32c7c.jpg