Mazi

Any proper mechanics on here for a bit of non BMW advice

My mum has filled up my wife's Yaris D4D Diesel with petrol. More or less a full tank!

What is the correct method to drain this? Will the tank need to be removed or can it be done in situ? 

Don’t start the car with that much petrol diluting the diesel - there won’t be enough oil in the fuel to lubricate the High Pressure Pump and Injectors and you’ll do damage.

I would just remove the back seat base cushion and pull out the fuel pump/sender unit and siphon out the majority of the petrol.

Then reassemble and brim with Diesel. It

should be good to start and drive after that.

Then fill again once tank gets down to half and then repeat a 2nd time.

Edited by Rosie

My wife put a full tank of petrol our Mercedes couple of years ago, called out someone off google “fuel doctor” or something.. 

luckily she she hadn’t started the car, all the fuel was drained and full tank filled then drop to half tank and filled to brim again which diluted any petrol in the tank, as mentioned above.. 

40k miles and no issues..

regards 

Never understood why when diesel started to become popular from the 90s,  that they never designed the pump nozzle differently so mistakes like this don't happen

Edited by nealpina

12 hours ago, nealpina said:

Never understood why when diesel started to become popular from the 90s,  that they never designed the pump nozzle differently so mistakes like this don't happen

They did.......

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0011579EN/fuelling-protection-system-as-standard-for-all-bmw-diesel-models?language=en

I meant the nozzle at the pump being a different standard shape so that car and larger vehicles manufactures will be force to adopt,  because it still happens in modern cars.  For older vehicle a simple upgrade will convert the filler pipe (not sure if that's the correct terminology).  Also by mistake and by the rare chance, to make diesel in an unleaded impossible to happen (as it does happen every now and again - not sure how, but I know someone who has done it).  

Didn't Ford do a similar thing before 2009?   I can remember TV adverts for the Mondeo having this protection in the mid 90s (IIRC).  Not sure if Ford still uses this.  

Edited by nealpina

My wife did this on our Berlingo. Rang Direct Line our insurers and recovery cover, and they (without asking) said we were covered for recovery and draining the tank. Local company recovered car to their premises, drained it down, refilled with devil's fuel and we were back on the road in a couple of hours.

Refilled when half empty a couple of times but no Ill effects. Still cost us for a full tank of juice though.  :(

My AA cover is through my bank so I am just going to tow it to the garage and let them deal with it.

A question...

Can I use the contaminated fuel in my Honda lawnmower or will i bugger it?

5 hours ago, Mazi said:

My AA cover is through my bank so I am just going to tow it to the garage and let them deal with it.

A question...

Can I use the contaminated fuel in my Honda lawnmower or will i bugger it?

Depends on how much diesel was left in the tank when the petrol was added......I.E ratio of petrol to diesel 

But as a generalisation I would say that it will more than likely to be fine to use in your Honda lawn mower however it will probably take like 10 years to use it all up in the mower!!  :lol:

Edited by boiliebasher

Get yourself a couple of 5 gallon jerry cans and syphon it all out and fill with diesel.. As long as you don't start it with that much petrol you'll be ok..

Modern Fords have no fuel cap and just a dust cover which exposes a metal flap which only a diesel pump can open.. I tried pushing the flap open and it won't go, it's quite deceiving because you think the diesel pump nozzle is too big for the hole :wacko:

All done. Drained and filled with diesel. Car is running fine. I will just keep filling the tank when it goes to half tank and add redex for the next 4 or 5 fills.

Thanks for the input guys.

If for any reason you get a sudden drop in power and a shit load of white smoke out the exhaust then bury the throttle to feed more diesel through, it sounds like it should be ok but just Incase! ;)