d_a_n1979

Fleece/lightweight warm zipped jacket - suggestions wanted

I’m after suggestions for a fleece style jacket, fully zipped and not hooded

Budget up to £150/£200 tops

Want this so I’m not wearing my gilet all the time

Needs to be suitable for a fat lad too; probably XXXL upwards :mrgreen: 

Wondered if there’s any outdoorsy types on here that have experience/knowledge of this stuff

Hi Dan,

Get over to Costco as they always have quality items and good prices and crucially, chances of the biggg sizes you need !

There's always a selection of outdoorsy clothing so if other places don't quite have what you need in terms of sizing/styling/price, Costco might well be the way to get what you need.

Cheers, Dennis!

41 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Musto sailing gear is quite good. Got a fleece jacket from them. Good quality. 

‘Thanks, don’t know them, but will have a look

Do you want it to be water proof (well spray proof) or just wind proof? 

Do you want a soft shell? 

The north face do some good gear, can get very expensive tough! And you will probably struggle to get the correct fit ment? 

Another one is berghaus, again very good quality stuff and it’s not “that” expensive. 

Craghoppers is worth a look and also jack wolfskin. 

Ive got a fantastic soft shell from stone island but the arms are tight on me and when I train ( it still happens but not as much...) it’s almost uncomfortable to wear! That is both waterproof and wind proof an warm AF, also it’s hooded. 

My advice to you would be to go to go outdoors and just try a few as all makes fit completely different to each other! 

If you're feeling flush then head over to Paul and Shark and check out their typhoon and competition range, but again it’s Italian designer gear so you will probably struggle to get something to fit correctly. 

Cheers wide boy... North Face fits, but only just

Not sure on others

Will go into Cotswolds in Preston over the next week or so & see what they’ve got in

I've been a Barbour fan for a good few years now. They pretty much cater for all occasions now, fleeces, waxes etc. with lots of sizes and fitments available.

I have a Blue Digby Wax which I use as my car jacket from Autumn onwards and it's difficult to think of a more versatile jacket.

C.

49 minutes ago, cableguy said:

I've been a Barbour fan for a good few years now. They pretty much cater for all occasions now, fleeces, waxes etc. with lots of sizes and fitments available.

I have a Blue Digby Wax which I use as my car jacket from Autumn onwards and it's difficult to think of a more versatile jacket.

C.

Barbour is no good; too small and they don't do bigger sizes

North Face, I spend my life at the top of tall buildings, the only ones that I don’t freeze my bollox off in.

I spend a lot of time outdoors - mainly dog walking but I also sail in the UK and abroad. 

A coat that does everything is difficult but I bought one of these earlier this year and it has been superb (other colour combos available)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Musto-Coastal-Jacket-Sulphur-SMJK055/dp/B01N4U6KQ6?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc08-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01N4U6KQ6

10 minutes ago, E39mad said:

I spend a lot of time outdoors - mainly dog walking but I also sail in the UK and abroad. 

A coat that does everything is difficult but I bought one of these earlier this year and it has been superb (other colour combos available)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Musto-Coastal-Jacket-Sulphur-SMJK055/dp/B01N4U6KQ6?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc08-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01N4U6KQ6

Thanks; but I'm more after a simple fleece/base layer type jacket rather than an all out jacket like that

Already have a couple of very good waterproofs etc; just want a simple top to chuck on rather than one of my gilets all the time

Just been in the north face shop at Cheshire oaks and they had a good few soft shell fleece type things, I’m trying to get away from this place an the missus is now looking at bags....

The best 'fleece replacement' jacket (and by fleece replacement I mean breathable, packable, lightweight and not so bulky that you can't wear it under a waterproof) I've ever used is the Arcteryx Atom LT. It somehow manages to keep you the right temperature in autumn, winter and spring. But I've not seen them in anything bigger than XXL so you might not fit. Arcteryx don't usually have the most generous fit either, especially for stuff that's designed to be layered.

If size is definitely an issue, I'd look at North Face. They tend to come up bigger than most outdoor brands I've tried, so you'll have more choice there. I've also found Rab jackets were on the large side, so it's worth checking them out too.

<edit> Actually, the Atom LT is available in 3XL:

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/arcteryx-atom-lt-jacket-synthetic-jacket-bf/

Not a bad price either.

Edited by Spandex