Saftlad

Wheel/Tyre Insurance

Whilst picking up my car, the dealer mentioned wheel and tyre insurance.  Given the cost of the wheels especially, and tyres for the 20" wheels, it's something I might be tempted by.  Has anyone taken up this insurance or gone for a 3rd party alternative?

Looking around, one company seems to be offering 3 years coverage for £400, which allows for 4 claims per year for wheels or tyres, with a £10 excess per item.

Hmmm - maybe consider £100 for 3 years at 1 claim/year (or maybe not). Just how much wheel damage do you plan? Not for me.

Read the small print on how much tyre tread is required to be unworn, often 3mm across the whole tread so any uneven wear will snooker you. 

The wheel repairs are smart repairs. 

Ultimately they cant expect to loose money selling policies overall so on average the buyer must lose out. 

True of all insurances of course. Just depends if you can bear the pain if it’s you.

Its not necessarily true that the insurance buyer loses out. Insurance firms also invest their premiums for returns. They build up a pool of money and  are major investment players

but IMO tyre insurance is not something I've taken up. With 20 inch wheels you might crack a wheel alloy, but then the insurance claim might be hard to prove