535i Andrew

Don't play with your phone while driving, please.

Sentence isn't long enough IMO

What's needed to make people realise that using their phones is not legal and not allowed?

I see so many folk on a daily basis completely ignoring the fact that what they're doing is illegal and I'll let the fuckers know if I see them too! Probably not wise; but I can hold my own...

And, without aiming to tar or stereotype (or open a can of worms); it's 9/10 van drivers... 

I never look at or use my phone when driving. If I hear it ring or beep, I pull over where I can if I think it can't wait.

Phone use whilst driving is my biggest pet hate by far and most days I see someone behind me, looking up and down, obviously texting or dialing.

Penalties need to be far higher. Minimum 8 points and £1000 fine to get the message across. Some will say more, I wouldn't disagree.

That video footage is truely shocking, seeing the last moments that led to the loss of that woman's life.

Very sad.

Walking around Glasgow City centre I see a lot of people with their mobiles sitting on their laps as they drive by. The mobiles are clearly being used as you can see the screens etc.

But it's like everything else, need more Polis to catch these numpties.

Yesterday I went to over take a 1 Series, as I drew along side the blonde driving it, took both hands off the wheel to fluff her hair and in doing so sped up. I had to increase my speed from 60 to 70 to pass her, I pull back in and slow back down and she then overtakes me. Figured she was better off in front of me if she was driving like that.

My employer has banned us from using hands free phones when driving company vehicles or on when driving my car on company time using the company phone.

The company cars have a sat nav / tracker system that cannot be programmed when on the move so you cannot be distracted by it.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

But it's like everything else, need more Polis to catch these numpties.

Exactly what I was going to say,  there's nobody out there to catch them anymore. 

1 hour ago, jake13 said:

Yesterday, someone hit me from behind. I'm certain they were playing with their phone.

I can sort your claim for you! ;) 

11 hours ago, jake13 said:

Yesterday, someone hit me from behind. I'm certain they were playing with their phone.

Hope you're Okay Jake. 

This is exactly what happened to me in July when I was the last car in stationary traffic. I think I got off lightly. 

She claimed she "didn't see" 1.5 tonnes of Mercedes. On behalf of motorcyclists and cyclists everywhere, I went absolutely spare at her.  

10 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

I can sort your claim for you! ;)

It was swiftly resolved there and then.

10 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Oh no, sorry to hear that, you o.k?

I was fine, just cheesed off. It's only been 3 months since the car has been painted. Fortunately, the impact missed the tailpipes / exhaust but made thumb size gouge on the top edge which is the worst part. Also, one of the clips of the diffuser need to be realigned with hot air gun so it can pop back in. I've removed the rear bumber before when I replaced rear pdc sensor and did it again to check further damage. 

33 minutes ago, hippie dave said:

Hope you're Okay Jake. 

This is exactly what happened to me in July when I was the last car in stationary traffic. I think I got off lightly. 

She claimed she "didn't see" 1.5 tonnes of Mercedes. On behalf of motorcyclists and cyclists everywhere, I went absolutely spare at her.  

Just approaching roundabout at crawling pace. I had the foot on the brake (autobox) when it happened ,so could have been worse by shunting those infront. Suprisingly, I was calm and checked the tailgate opened and closed properly. It was a W and admitted at fault.

On 9/28/2018 at 9:54 PM, jake13 said:

If in doubt ... always call the police (  suspect the other party of drink driving ) and state the fact of the mobile phone.

2 hours ago, Carl-e34 said:

If in doubt ... always call the police (  suspect the other party of drink driving ) and state the fact of the mobile phone.

Agree, I called the police when someone drove into the back of me. The reason I did was that my car cut out due to the impact and I was left blocking a busy junction at rush hour and I wanted help with the traffic management.

Cop turned up very quickly, was very pleasant and told me he was going to charge the other guy with careless driving. 

I was quite please at that. I don't know if he was on the phone, but perhaps the witness saw something I didn't. Will make the careless driver think twice about being so careless next time. Tw@t, in a Peugeot, and a DIEsel one at that. Grrr. 

22 hours ago, Stressed said:

A while back another watch on my station attended an Rta M25 junction A13, car under the back of a lorry. The drivers head was in the back seat and mobile Phone in hand mid text.

Poeple don’t learn

Wow. That need rereading just so people get it. 

23 hours ago, Stressed said:

A while back another watch on my station attended an Rta M25 junction A13, car under the back of a lorry. The drivers head was in the back seat and mobile Phone in hand mid text.

Poeple don’t learn

Natural selection, do not mess with it...

A mate of mine has just lost his wife in similar circumstances - they were travelling along a road at 50 and a car went into the back of them at high speed. He remembers waking up upside-down in a ditch; his wife didn't. He has a spine full of titanium screws now.

I'm off to her funeral in a fortnight.

What I would like to say about these people I won't as it's not very nice. Considering that death by dangerous driving carries a maximum sentence of 14 years I'm surprised he only got five and the law didn't choose to make more of an example of him?

Edited by e60neindanke

On 9/28/2018 at 9:06 PM, Paddy O'Furniture said:

I saw a woman driving along in a brand new Range Rover the other day while chatting away on her phone.  Surely a car like that has Bluetooth. 

Doesn't matter if the driver's got no fucking brains and there will always be some for whom the law only applies to the 'little people', not them.

Edited by e60neindanke

I got a b*llocking from my boss last week, "I've called you three times this morning, I needed to speak with you urgently, why didn't you pick up?" I explained I was driving, he then went off the deep end and said my company car has hands free and I should use it if he calls!

I've had conference calls with certain companies where their consultants have had to join into calls and have meetings whilst driving, all arranged and booked in by the pre-sales teams. Personally I can't have a serious conversation with someone that's driving and on the phone, as I was just waiting/imagining for the consultant to swear at another driver or say something like oh Sh*i*.... and then the phone would go dead, because they had come off the road because of the lack of concentration.  

Edited by Mr_530i

7 hours ago, pauliexjr said:

I got a b*llocking from my boss last week, "I've called you three times this morning, I needed to speak with you urgently, why didn't you pick up?" I explained I was driving, he then went off the deep end and said my company car has hands free an should use it if he calls!

I had this at my previous job; Office ringing and ringing, me refusing to pick up because I'm driving, someone in the office leaving an arsey answerphone message because I'm not answering, me losing my rag and going back to the office for a full blown argument, then a memo going round the week after saying that using a phone whilst driving a company vehicle is prohibited....

I'm glad traffic police are targetting drivers using their phone while driving, and I believe if caught its 6 points, and a £200 fine minimum, it needs to be made like drink driving has become, which is downright dangerous, and anti social, that members of the public will grass to the police if they see a drunk driver leaving the pub.

I dread to think how many RTA's there are over a year that are attributable to using a phone while driving, turn it off and put it in the glove compartment, stay safe out there friends, driving is probably the single most dangerous activity that any of us undertake.