McBeemer

EGR Technical Campaign - anyone been contacted by BMW yet?

I called up a rival dealer and asked them. They said they will need the car for 2 days. 1st day to check it and then if it's needed then replace.  Is this recall and check and let us see or a replace regardless?

I have read reports elsewhere that they are also replacing manifolds and EGR valves as well

Mine is currently in 535d 2014, went in yesterday, will be off the road for 2 weeks I am told but have an enterprise 320d.

There is a smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin when the centre vents were set to warm and the engine warmed up, ok they will sort it but I am a little put off to a degree tbh. Got the letter 2nd week of December and had just got back from a round trip to Netherlands 800+ miles, I was aware of the issue and kept an eye on everything, but a little unnerving.

I presume the issue with the parts timing is supply and demand, and was told coming from Germany? 

My 2014 F10 530D has been recalled today for EGR investigation, have to wait until 12th Feb until courtesy car available though. I've not noticed any obvious signs of any problems. 

Should be a quick in/out (nudge nudge, wink wink) for mine then.... 5's are made about 2 hours away from my current contract ! Guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks though....

Hi

Just had mine taken in - no recall letter but smoke/steam/fumes from under bonnet and smell in car - local dealer polite but not particularly helpful. BMW HQ were great and got things moving immediately with car picked up and courtesy car (Enterprise) on same day.

Unfortunately 2 - 4 Weeks wait on parts.

Edited by Caerfryn

Is exhaust smell and n the cabin one of the symptoms? Every so often  I get a burst of exhaust fumes in my car. I can't see any leaks though. 

BMW Derby contacted me yesterday to arrange this recall check, but I'd already booked it in to Nottingham!

Courtesy Car as well.

A full day appointment!

On 05/01/2019 at 12:39, dandle said:

Is exhaust smell and n the cabin one of the symptoms? Every so often  I get a burst of exhaust fumes in my car. I can't see any leaks though. 

Can be a cracked egr inlet pipe, most commonly experienced on a cold morning - open bonnet and sniff the front left of the engine when just started. If its bad there you could definitely have a cracked inlet which is spewing exhaust fumes into the bay and these do get back into the ventilation system.

10 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Can be a cracked egr inlet pipe, most commonly experienced on a cold morning - open bonnet and sniff the front left of the engine when just started. If its bad there you could definitely have a cracked inlet which is spewing exhaust fumes into the bay and these do get back into the ventilation system.

It's gone in today to be repaired for damage the body shop have done. I mentioned the recall and the fact It has fumes in the cabin sometimes so will see what they come back with. Thanks.

Does anyone who has had their EGR cooler replaced know the part number of the new part?  Quite a few people seem to have had these replaced pre recall and then have had them replaced again via the recall.

The number is visible on a white paper sticker on the front of the cooler. Mine is 7805446, which I think is the original part number from 2010. I believe this part was superceded by 7823210, which was fitted on N57 engines from March 2011. Not sure when later versions came in.

It looks like the N47 engines initially used part number 7805447 and then 7810751 from 2012, but again I don't know what subsequent updates were applied.

Surely, the only criterion for determining whether a car is recalled, should be whether the EGR cooler on the vehicle is potentially faulty or not? In which case, it should be immediately evident which cars are affected and I don't understand why BMW want to check each car their workshop. They have known about this issue for some time, so presumably they know which part numbers can fail and which don't. Of course, if a car is indeed fitted with a potentially faulty part, then they will need to check if it has actually gone bad and whether the manifold also needs to be cleaned or replaced.

I suspect BMW are using a lot of smoke (excuse the pun) and mirrors, in an attempt to play down the numbers involved in this debacle.

In simple terms, my point is that any version of the cooler that has been known to develop an internal leak, should simply be replaced with one that has not been known to leak.

6 minutes ago, Greenfingers said:

Does anyone who has had their EGR cooler replaced know the part number of the new part?  Quite a few people seem to have had these replaced pre recall and then have had them replaced again via the recall.

The number is visible on a white paper sticker on the front of the cooler. Mine is 7805446, which I think is the original part number from 2010. I believe this part was superceded by 7823210, which was fitted on N57 engines from March 2011. Not sure when later versions came in.

It looks like the N47 engines initially used part number 7805447 and then 7810751 from 2012, but again I don't know what subsequent updates were applied.

Surely, the only criterion for determining whether a car is recalled, should be whether the EGR cooler on the vehicle is potentially faulty or not? In which case, it should be immediately evident which cars are affected and I don't understand why BMW want to check each car their workshop. They have known about this issue for some time, so presumably they know which part numbers can fail and which don't. Of course, if a car is indeed fitted with a potentially faulty part, then they will need to check if it has actually gone bad and whether the manifold also needs to be cleaned or replaced.

I suspect BMW are using a lot of smoke (excuse the pun) and mirrors, in an attempt to play down the numbers involved in this debacle.

In simple terms, my point is that any version of the cooler that has been known to develop an internal leak, should simply be replaced with one that has not been known to leak.

I have heard mixed things. a dealer near my house said we will check EGR first. Another dealer 20 miles away said we will change the cooler, the manifold and EGR as well regardless.  Not sure though. I suppose some dealers will be making money off BMW HQ, claiming that it failed and then carrying out the other repairs and then invoicing BMW hq for the warranty/recall. 

Had mine in today, was checked and told EGR cooler didn't need replacing, tried to talk to the service manager but Sytner Chigwell full of pricks as usual and didnt give me any sort of invoice proof work until i asked. even managed to strip wax off my car and blast off a centre wheel cap when i told them NOT to wash my car :-x

IMG_20190111_182253.thumb.jpg.69727b1c3f65aa1c08a77e00ed68673b.jpg

Edited by IINexusII

11 hours ago, Park Lane said:

My 2011 530D still not recalled (registered Nov 2011). Hopefully that will be recalled soon.

Just enter your plate on the Check mot thingy on the government website and it should come up. Or call your local dealer. 

On 11/01/2019 at 18:14, IINexusII said:

Had mine in today, was checked and told EGR cooler didn't need replacing, tried to talk to the service manager but Sytner Chigwell full of pricks as usual and didnt give me any sort of invoice proof work until i asked. even managed to strip wax off my car and blast off a centre wheel cap when i told them NOT to wash my car :-x

I emailed my dealer to see what they will do   she said they will check first and then replace if necessary, she did then ask me if I'm having any EGR symptoms. I just lied and said im frequently topping up coolant. Its going in march and i will give the same bullshit story. Hopefully, they will just change it anyway and the manifold etc. At least get some new parts on there.

I don't believe even the latest design of cooler that is being fitted actually addresses the potential fire hazard. What's more, BMW is not the only manufacturer to be experiencing this kind of issue with EGRs, but after so many cars caught fire in Korea, BMW really came into the firing line. They now face a massive global problem.

To maintain their image, their only option was to do the recall, although they are trying to minimise the number of vehicles involved in an attempt to play down the extent of the problem. I expect the replacement parts being fitted are basically just newer versions of the original valve, which are also likely to fail in due course, so perhaps even these will need replacing again.

I am surprised that so little has been publicly discussed about the engineering solution. I asked earlier in the thread, what part number had been fitted on recalled cars: surely we need assurance that this new part will solve the problem? After reading a Korean publication a couple of weeks ago, I think the solution will necessitate a complete redesign of the EGR cooler mechanism to incorporate a separate radiator to prevent the coolant from boiling:- 

"A public-private investigation team under the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport had already raised the need of an additional recall for defective designs in exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system when it released its examination report on BMW fires on Monday.

The team confirmed that the major cause of the fires was a leaky EGR module, the same conclusion that the German carmaker came to, but disputed BMW’s claims that changing the faulty hardware resolves the issue. The team said there may be a fundamental problem with the EGR design and a simple replacement may not completely resolve that.

“We spotted coolant boiling within the EGR cooler, and we think the boiling is due to a faulty design of the EGR,” the joint investigation team said in a statement. “If boiling continues, this could lead to a crack in the EGR cooler, [making them leaky.]”

“New EGR systems won’t lead to fires right away, but the team found that after several years of constant driving heating up the EGR cooler, a similar fire could reoccur as long as the design stays the same,” a spokesperson from the Land Ministry said in a phone call on Wednesday. “We demanded that BMW come up with an explanation regarding EGR design.”

The joint team also said the intake manifold connected to the leaky EGR coolant should be recalled as well after check-ups if it has been polluted or weakened by a mixture of leaked coolants and engine oil sticking to pipes. The team has delivered its research findings to the carmaker, which has to consult with its German headquarters and come up with a recall plan.

In the meantime, an increasing number of BMW car owners are signing up to file a suit against the company. Barun Law, which is currently preparing for a class action suit against the carmaker, has collected around 1,000 car owners who would like to take part in the suit as of Wednesday. The Korea Consumer Association is also preparing for a separate suit and has gathered roughly 2,000 participants."

On 12/01/2019 at 11:33, Park Lane said:

My 2011 530D still not recalled (registered Nov 2011). Hopefully that will be recalled soon.

Neither is my late 2014 530d, checked on the DVLA site. As I posted earlier in the thread when mine was in for a service they initially thought it was covered under the recall so it was checked and passed no problems (although they would have ordered a replacement part anyway) but was then discovered that it is not covered so no replacement was ordered. Maybe it will appear as a recall required in the future.

Edited by AndyM

My 2012 530d is booked in for 15th Feb. Courtesy car offered. They said that if, after checking, the EGR cooler does need replacing, they won't give you your car back until the work has been done, even if they don't have the part available for a few weeks. Fine with me. I'd rather drive a courtesy car than risk having issues with mine.

14 hours ago, Steve-Savalas said:

My 2012 530d is booked in for 15th Feb. Courtesy car offered. They said that if, after checking, the EGR cooler does need replacing, they won't give you your car back until the work has been done, even if they don't have the part available for a few weeks. Fine with me. I'd rather drive a courtesy car than risk having issues with mine.

I was told by the dealer if i have any symptoms ie losing coolant etc. call BMW  assist  and they will arrange a hire car and recover your car to the dealer. if it turns out there is no problem with the EGR there will be no charge for the other stuff. But she said maybe with the hire car you may have to pay 50 pounds etc