McBeemer

EGR Technical Campaign - anyone been contacted by BMW yet?

Hi,  

Just curious as to whether any B47 owners have been proactively contacted by their local dealer for the technical ‘recall’ for the EGR cooler issue?

It’s been 7 weeks now since the news broke, wondering if anything is starting to stir in terms of recalls into dealers.

Cheers.

Nope, but it is also for the N57. Mine had the cooler replaced just prior to this all breaking out though.... The reality is that EGR coolers have been a problem on the N57 as well as the B47 issues for ages it is not a new issue. 

I know some have got quoted 3 weeks to have the vehicles looked at and reviewed. I suspect even with them being checked given time they will inevitably fail at some point. 

Just keep an eye on your coolant levels as if they begin to reduce then chances are you will have the issue (also watch for white smoke from the exhaust with any form of sweet smell). Mine had only a tiny smell, with no white smoke, but did not smell "right", the coolant was reducing as well so eventually it was all fairly obvious to me.

Edited by Ninja59

Don’t know why I said B47 when mine has an N57! Have been keeping a close eye on the coolant and took the plastic engine cover off to check the inlet manifold from the EGR and fingers cross all appears in order....for now.

UGH 

Not what i wanted to see,

Avoided N47 to avoid the chain issue, neighbors car blew up tuesday 2011 89k miles 520d M sport.

So purchased a 2015 520D with 115k miles Auto, after looking around no real news or issues where reported 

And my E39 was annoying after the LPG system was leaking coolant needed 2 - 300 ml a week sometimes.

now worried about this oh my days should have gone with a prius lol bomb proof 

should i call local dealer and see or is there certain year etc which has the issue ?

I had my mechanic look over car not specifically just look around he said all looks good and did a oil change as previous ones where the long life ones.

cheers

Was at the dealer this morning and they said they are currently doing replacements on 4 cylinders and the 6 cylinders are starting in november. On the 6 cyl it's initially only an inspection, not an automatic replacement. This is in the Netherlands so there may be come difference in timing in the UK and elsewhere (same thing happened with the E46 airbag recall)

I have some minor coolant usage on my 530d so I will keep an eye on this recall and post new information as I get it.

Sorry to push this to the top of the forum again...but BMW have extended this Technical Campaign to cover August 2010 - August 2017, not the previously few years of 2013 - 2015. This means this Technical Campaign now applies to 1.6 million cars.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0286151EN/bmw-group-expands-technical-campaign?language=en 

A pal of mine had his 2012 330d in for MOT yesterday at a dealer and they have kept his car for the EGR cooler recall - with his reportedly severe in terms of the ones they’ve had so far.

Taxi home for him and an Enterprise 320 delivered 9pm last night with a lead time for the fix of up to two weeks due to parts availability. Good service.

Had my local dealer check the key for any sign of a recall need on my 530d. My car isn’t listed for any proactive recall check at the moment, but ‘we are doing a few’ was the statement made.

I will be checking again after Xmas.

My wife's E88 went into the local dealer today here in the Algarve for an oil and filter change plus brake fluid change and I raised this issue. The service agent called up a screen which showed no recall for this model here and said that there was not a problem with this engine to which I added " apart from the timing chain"! Who knows where the truth lies.

8 hours ago, admiral said:

Got my recall notice today for my 2016 F10 520d.  They are working through the 1.6m vehicles!

F10 EGR recall.png

That's got to mean a way of getting recompensed if you have already paid to fix your EGR yourself.

38 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

That's got to mean a way of getting recompensed if you have already paid to fix your EGR yourself.

I know someone that has got their money back from BMW, it did take a little twisting though and did not appear the easiest of conversations though.

In that circumstance the EGR Cooler and manifold was replaced as it had got to that stage.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

I wonder if you had paid for the replacement yourself, via BMW, would that then show up as then not needing a recall if it had the new and therefore I'm assuming safe part?

The question should be one we are assuming BMW are upgrading this part, I have a strange and slightly "odd" feeling it is just a replacement and not a change with "upgrade".

Mine got the replacement in 24 hours, but that was just as these stories were breaking, and even then there are a number of cars that are technically "outside" this recall spectrum, but have exactly the same failure symptoms.

The only thing I am pleased with about BMW's handling of this handling now is that it is a full recall not an under the cover TC. But if it had not made the media would BMW do it, I some how think not.

Interesting they are doing a recall on this model with it.  The egr valve has always been a bit weak on these.   I had to replace/fix them on my previous 6 pot diesels.   They actually broke in the same place where the hanger meets the outer cooling case. A small hairline crack would appear no doubt through various loads being put on that section and would leak a small amount of coolant.    A quick weld would fix the issue.

Mine has been replaced under warranty a year or two ago.   I have asked the dealer more recently about the recall but they stated that my car has no recall on it, I will push a bit further when mine goes in for a service and hopefully the paint repair.

Edited by Enzo503

So I'm a bit confused on this one. My car is a 2014 F11 B47 2.0D. I queried the recall and was told it's had the cooler replaced a couple years back. 

I'm having egr issues at the moment. Is this a new recall again on the egr? The car is booked in with BMW here in Ireland to look at my issues but they advise there is no recall outstanding on my car. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before the car goes in. 

Is this the second egr related recall? Am I entitled to it foc? 

On 15/11/2018 at 07:39, 535i Andrew said:

When the tail light wiring of my E60 melted I had to pay to get it fixed. They then issued a recall. Could I get my money back for it? Big fat no.

48 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

If your EGR was replaced long enough ago, it might still have been replaced with one that falls under the faulty ones.

I would go to your BMW dealer and make a fuss.

Thanks Andrew, ill do just that.

apparently recalls should be updated onto DVSA website....nothing showing on mine, and it would seem DVSA only show outstanding recalls, not recalls that have taken place already ie before you became the owner

RECALL INFORMATION.

Update 23/10/2018: BMW Group has announced a voluntary recall action in relation to EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) coolers in a selection of vehicles. This will be added to the DVSA website imminently, where customers can enter their vehicle details to check if their car is affected. We will also be writing to all affected customers directly.
This page will be kept updated with the latest information.

BMW UK has initiated two separate Safety Recall actions on various BMW models, relating to issues with:

• B+ Battery connector;
  • Blower regulator connection.

To understand if your vehicle is currently involved in one of these recalls, please visit the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) website: https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

For this 

2 hours ago, Someone said:

apparently recalls should be updated onto DVSA website....nothing showing on mine, and it would seem DVSA only show outstanding recalls, not recalls that have taken place already ie before you became the owner

You want to check here

A search I did on 5 Series between 2010 and Nov 2018 returned an EGR recall

It will give you a range of chassis numbers of the affected vehicles

click on the recall number and you find out that there are 86555 vehicles affected.

I used this site to check mine before I bought it. 

So I dropped my car off at the beginning of last week to have a major service and 4 doors repainted.    I asked at the time when I dropped it off about the egr recall.    Not on the system was the response.

I collected my car today and I asked again regarding the recall, this time they said it is on their system for it to be checked.  This is even after my egr cooler was replaced mid 2017 due to coolant loss. 

I will book it back in to be checked after a week or 2 as I want to keep an eye on the workmanship of the doors and if there are any issues to have them all rectified at the same time.   

I would advise all diesel owners to be on the case regarding this if you intend to keep your car for any period of time.

In fairness even if your car is not on the list there still seems to be a risk of it failing.

I was in a more bizarre situation my key told them it was no on the list my chassis number did...like above though mine was changed in September just as this cloud arose and has been fine since. But like above I do make a point of keeping more of an eye on the old coolant level than I used to.

I was  informed yesterday that mine needs doing (2013 N47) after making a brake pad enquiry