CS10

Wheels and Tyres for Winter in F10

This might be a stupid question, but a chap at work just asked about how it affects the speedo by putting smaller wheels on.

I'm going from 18inch summer wheels, to 17 inch winter wheels.

I didn't have an answer as I have no idea!!??

The circumference of the complete wheel package should be the same.   You are going to a smaller alloy wheel but you are making the side wall of the tyre taller. 

So for a 245/45 18 tyre will be the same rolling circumference as a 225/55 17 as an example.     Thus the speedo will not change.

1 hour ago, CS10 said:

This might be a stupid question, but a chap at work just asked about how it affects the speedo by putting smaller wheels on.

I'm going from 18inch summer wheels, to 17 inch winter wheels.

I didn't have an answer as I have no idea!!??

As above; just because the alloy is smaller, it wont affect the speedo reading, as long as the tyres are within spec

Their rolling circumference is what makes the difference

ie. I've dropped from 20" alloys to 18" alloys on my 7, but the right sized tyres make the car ride true

Edited by d_a_n1979

There's a good comparison tool here: https://tiresize.com/calculator/ 

Just click on the 'Tire Comparison' tab on the left hand side.  For tyre sizes see your owners manual or the tyre pressure sticker on the B-pillar. Smaller wheels generally mean higher side profile - so 225/55-17 will have a near-identical overall dimension to a 245/45-18.

After swapping these wheels (from 18's to 17's), I assume I'm going to have to get it aligned/tracked or something?

25 minutes ago, CS10 said:

After swapping these wheels (from 18's to 17's), I assume I'm going to have to get it aligned/tracked or something?

No need too. As long as the 17" rims are tyres are to BMW specified sizes there will be zero issues.

A full four wheel alignment is not a bad thing to get done every second year or so. 

I changed my summers to winters yesterday and inspected the tyres for uneven wear, it's the best chance you get to see if there is an alignment issue which usually manifests itself in uneven tyre wear.

Thankfully mine were ok but the amount of cracking on the cheap budgets on the rear is terrible. Ashamed to admit that I didn't burn these earlier.

10 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Ashamed to admit that I didn't burn these earlier.

Yeughhhhh! So glad I'm not your neighbour! :lol: :lol:

Edited by Boba