CS10

Wheels and Tyres for Winter in F10

Hi everyone.

Thinking of getting separate wheels for winter for my 520d.

Ive currently got the staggered 18 inch tyre set up (245/40/18 front and 275/45/18 rear).

Am I correct in thinking that I could get 18 inch wheels with 245/40 all around, and if I wanted to drop down to 17, I could do this and have 225/55 all round?

I could be tempted to drop down a size just because of cost really.

My car has TPMS so I understand that I need to buy wheels with this sensor on there, or I can get them fitted?

The car also has rear integral active steering, but I don't think this will be affected by dropping down to 17 or even changing from the staggered 18 will it?

Did your car come with 17s from factory; if so, as long as the alloys and tyres are within those specs; it’ll be fine

If not, stick with 18s and the recommended tyre sizes IMO

You can always use a tyre calculator to see if you can drop down a tyre size etc; but for the winter weather we do get over here, I personally stick with OEM sizes. Narrower tyres are great for heavy snow, something we might see, but rarely 

17" rims with 225x55 tyres

18" rims with 245x45 tyres, not 245x40 tyres.

As Dan says, stick with OEM sizes that way you won't upset all the systems that use inputs from the wheel sensors.

If your car has TPMS then ideally you need to get four new sensors to put on what size of rim that you have.

You are quite correct, the smaller the diameter of the rim, the more choice and cheaper the tyres are in winter flavour and are more forgiving on the potholes that appear during winter

Tyre calcutor below set for 17" and 18" rims with correct spec of tyres and the rolling radius is virtually identical which is what you want.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=245&aspect=45&diameter=18&wheelwidth=8&offset=30&width2=225&aspect2=55&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=8&offset2=30

I got my sizes muddled up.

They came with 18" from the factory. Front are 245/45/18. Rear are 275/40/18.

So, I could switch to 17's with tyre size 225/55 or 18's in a none staggered setup 245/45.

Is that correct?

I'd personally recommend the 17in option. The 'sticking with the size it came from the factory on' is bad advice - stick with the sizes listed on the tyre pressure sticker, as those sizes are specific to your car. Winter tyres perform best in the highest profile size possible, so as long as 225/55-17 is listed, you're good to go.

Regarding 225/55-17's, they are also a typical van-sized tyre, so make sure the ones you buy are car tyres. It might like an obvious statement, but you never know! So stick to the minimum speed & weight ratings suitable for your car - which again are all on the tyre pressure sticker.

4 hours ago, CS10 said:

They came with 18" from the factory. Front are 245/45/18. Rear are 275/40/18.

So, I could switch to 17's with tyre size 225/55 or 18's in a none staggered setup 245/45.

Is that correct?

Yes you can easily switch to 225/55/17 on all four corners or 245/45/18 on all four corners (non staggered set up) but you would want 4 No 8" wide rims ideally for the best winter tyre choice. You currently must have 8x18" rims up front and 9x19" rims at the back. 9" wide rims using 275 wide tyres will limit your choice of winter rubber.

I currently have a set of 17" 225/55/17 winters but these are going as I've just taken ownership of my dad's 18" 245/45/18 winters.

The tyre pressures chart on your door pilar is the same across all the saloons or all the tourings except M5 models as the range all run on the same spec and size of tyre.

Supposidly as mine came with a factory fit towbar, I must run with greater load tyres, but my dad's F10 has a heavier rated rear axle max weight looking at its data plate compared to mine. So go figure that one.

Tyre loading info below.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

14 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

If your car has TPMS then ideally you need to get four new sensors to put on what size of rim that you have.

Not necessarily, the only need for new valves if if your existing ones get damaged during replacement.

I had 4x Michelin CrossClimate+ fitted recently and the original TPMS valves stayed. If they are functional, then they're functional.

7 hours ago, AndyM said:

Not necessarily, the only need for new valves if if your existing ones get damaged during replacement.

I had 4x Michelin CrossClimate+ fitted recently and the original TPMS valves stayed. If they are functional, then they're functional.

This thread is about adding a set of wheels for winter use. If the wheels bought don't come with TPMS then the OP will need to add to add these to this 2nd set. 

Just to update this thread, I brought a set of Winter Wheels with Tyres and TPMS sensors from a member of this forum.

I went for 17 inch alloys (style 327) which were fitted with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D Run Flat 225/55 R17 97H M+S tyres.

Looking forward to seeing the difference they make when the weather turns!

Surprisingly, they look bigger than my 18's! Just due to tyre profile I guess!

14 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Good call, I nearly bought those.  Bargain of the year!

Agreed, a great price. Lovely bloke too!

Good stuff.  That's exactly my winter set up. The 17" rims are more forgiving on the potholes than the 19" runs! 

I'm a converted winter tyre sceptic,  if you get snow where you are this winter, that's when you really feel them come into their own.

It was 3 deg c where I am this morning, that's winter rubber temps! 

5 hours ago, CS10 said:

Surprisingly, they look bigger than my 18's! Just due to tyre profile I guess!

Technically you are correct. That 17" tyre and rim combo actually has a bigger diameter than my 19" style 351 set up but its millimetres in it.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

It was 3 deg c where I am this morning, that's winter rubber temps! 

It won't be long I don't think.

7 degrees is the magic number isn't it?

I think the current winter tyre rubber compounds are less prone to rapid wearing out at warmer temps than they used to be. 

But remember it's not just the low temp improved performance of winter tyres but the M+S tread pattern which has a better water shedding ability.

It rains even more at this time of year where I am so even though it may not be perceived cold enough for them, dealing with standing water is an advantage.

16 hours ago, CS10 said:

It won't be long I don't think.

7 degrees is the magic number isn't it?

Yeah; 10ºC and below is what most folk use; but 7ºC is where the winter rubber comes into its own

However forecasts for later this week are back into the 20s :lol: Save the winter rubber for next month onwards ;) 

5 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I think the current winter tyre rubber compounds are less prone to rapid wearing out at warmer temps than they used to be. 

But remember it's not just the low temp improved performance of winter tyres but the M+S tread pattern which has a better water shedding ability.

It rains even more at this time of year where I am so even though it may not be perceived cold enough for them, dealing with standing water is an advantage.

Yup; the wet weather and colder temps are why I fit my winters really; they're then fitted for the trips up to Dunkeld and back in Dec and then Feb

It usually snows in Feb; so they always come into their own then, for Dec, it's just the usual downpours etc

Not especially because it's November ;) but it's been a bit nippy up here lately with some frosty mornings so I've put the winter wheels on this morning. (G31, but same for anyone I suppose) ;) .

I do sometimes wish that the BMW had studs instead of bolts though, quite a struggle for my ageing arms catching the wheel onto the spigot and getting the first bolt in. To say nothing of the front hub persistently turning as I tried to line things up. :-(

Never mind - that's it for a few months, and at least the wheels can't rust onto the studs like my old Vauxhall used to!

Edited by Boba

1 hour ago, Boba said:

I do sometimes wish that the BMW had studs instead of bolts though, quite a struggle for my ageing arms catching the wheel onto the spigot and getting the first bolt in. To say nothing of the front hub persistently turning as I tried to line things up. :-(

You want to buy these then.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Alloy-Wheel-Bolt-Stud-Alignment-Align-Tool-M14-x-1-25/331579607229?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've not used mine yet. 

6 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Thanks. Someone else @Monkeyfinger has also pointed me towards these. I think I'll invest in one, fighting against the moving front hub with a heavy wheel is hard work!

Agreed the wheel aligners are a massive time saving. I bought 2 for mine and then can line the wheel up nice and easily.

However I will admit i was even more lazy this year round....I got my dealer to do my switch from Summer to Winter as the car was in for some outstanding warranty work (even though it is out of manufacturers warranty now - long story!). To note I keep my extra set of wheels at home, so do not need the "tyre hotel" of BMW (which is about £40 every 6 months as I had to do it for one season when I did not have the space).

This included my dealer coming to collect my Winter wheels (they will fit just in the car, but not comfortably) and my Summer wheels returned the day after - free.

Bill from BMW - £36.00. Cheaper than some of the BMW bits I bought for my garage, and yes for the record I made sure I used good use of the F30 330D I had a courtesy car. Not sure who was robbing who...although usually BMW wins in that respect.

My original 225/55 R17's  were Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 - an older design and was more noticeable in terms of noise levels in comparison with even my 20" Summer Dunlop Sportmaxx GT.

However with them dramatically wearing after a few seasons I decided to make a switch to something different (I originally intended the Conti 850/60 series - but none were available at the time), so settled on the Pirelli Sottozero 3. So far what a fantastically smooth, quiet (bar on dry/mostly dry roads where they are more noisy) and they have given so far good confidence in the wet/damp/somewhat dry weather and the first frost we had down in Kent yesterday.

The other thing I have found in dealing with the torque from the 640 they handle it far better than the old Blizzak LM-32 which even when new could get squiggly off the line, more so if one "forgot" that the rear was lacking a little in terms of width in comparison with Summer (275 wide).

2 hours ago, Boba said:

Thanks. Someone else @Monkeyfinger has also pointed me towards these. I think I'll invest in one, fighting against the moving front hub with a heavy wheel is hard work!

Just double check that your G31 bolt threads are the same as the F10 wheel bolt threads, M14x1.25 as the E60 was M12x1.25.

I noticed that running mine of 17" Dunlop 3D winter sports it could get a bit squiggly at the back end.  It's a characteristic of the softer compounds I think,  been discussed a few times on here.

I've got 18" Conti 810's to go on this winter.  Hopefully get them installed next week after fitting some new front brakes first.

7 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yes, looks like M14 x 1.25 for the G30 series too.

Ordered one today (too late for this time round though).

Edited by Boba