d_a_n1979

Winter tyres - it's that time of year!

Will put this in here as it'll get a better, overall general coverage IMO

What wintery tyres have folk run on here and how did you rate them?

I'm soon to be looking to buy x4 for my Style 93 alloys for my land-barge; unfortunately the Alpin A4s are no longer; they've been replaced with a PA4 IIRC but at c£150 a corner, a bit over what I want to pay, more so for the mileage I do

One budget winter tyre that's caught my attention and gets good reviews on other car forums and tyrereviews.co.uk is the Petlas Snowmaster

However; I do like the look of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D tyres and some of the others like the Vredesteins, Kumho and Nankang ones too

Any suggestions of tyres?

I’m on the Dunlops for the F10 - they worked well enough last year. I’ll need to replace the fronts this year. 

I usually put put them on at the end of October. 

I'm currently looking at a set of winters for the F01 as my old ones from the F10 I don't think will fit being 17's. I'm waiting to nip in to BMW though and ask if the tyre insurance will cover replacement winters and if they need to be * marked in order for the cover to extend. 

I loved having them on the F10 though and they really did make it a versatile car for the winter. Overtook many FWD cars stuck in the snow easily but the main benefit was the peace of mind when driving in low temps. I wouldn't drive it like normal, always being careful but the reassurance that the tyres where also on-side helped. 

2 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I’m on the Dunlops for the F10 - they worked well enough last year. I’ll need to replace the fronts this year. 

I usually put put them on at the end of October. 

About the same here; or sometime early November etc

They were a godsend last December for us at home; lots of snow over a weekend and lots of cars stranded, but the gold ole 530i ploughed on through on its winters ;) Great for the jaunt uptown Dunkeld too; an average of 4-6" snow every night when we we're up there in Feb just gone and the average temp was -1ºC!

We do the Dunkeld trip every Dec and Feb; so just for that, the winters for me are essential; more so as we usually nip to the Cairngorm at least once each trip; it's worth it for a bowl of hot soup and a butty at the cafe on the top :mrgreen:

We had hankook icebears on the 330d. Used all year round and seemed decent. Never got to test them properly in snow but dealt with grotty roads well enough. 

The snow dumped by the beast from the east was powered thru in my F10 shod in Dunlop 3D winters in 17" size. Very little wheel slip getting out of my street where less snow depth took half a dozen attempts in my E60 to get out.

This year I will be running my F10 on Conti winter contacts on 18" rims. These were on my dads F10. I've never driven in snow with them but the water shedding abilities of these Contis were impressive compared to the summers on my E60 at the time. It was that journey in the wet that convinced me about winters.

10 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

The snow dumped by the beast from the east was powered thru in my F10 shod in Dunlop 3D winters in 17" size. Very little wheel slip getting out of my street where less snow depth took half a dozen attempts in my E60 to get out.

This year I will be running my F10 on Conti winter contacts on 18" rims. These were on my dads F10. I've never driven in snow with them but the water shedding abilities of these Contis were impressive compared to the summers on my E60 at the time. It was that journey in the wet that convinced me about winters.

Aye, the snow tested the Alpin A4s on the 530i, they performed superbly.

Hoping that I’ll get a similar chance when we’re up there again & on my new winters ;)

Edited by d_a_n1979

8 hours ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

I've been reading reports that we're in for quite a bad one this year. 

That's out there too; but I always take it with a pinch of salt and wait to see if the fat lady sings ;) 

There are certain weather folk that know what they're talking about (James Madden is not one of them); he's the one that spreads the bullshit through the retard-press papers (Daily Fail, Express etc); they do like a bit of scaremongering... :roll: 

But as said before when it comes to winters; I'd rather have them and have them fitted on the car and be prepared and not a last min dash when the prices are at peak and probably too late etc

Horses for courses etc

On the E91, I had a set of Hankook i-cept (think that's spelt right). Budget tyres but they were always very reassuring. Till I left them on into mid March and did two accidental powerslides on the same evening when it suddenly went very mild (15C)!

Having had so little use out of my winter tyres (living in the SW, the temps often barely went below 6C for many winters in a row), I decided not to get any for my F11 so, of course, it snowed many times!

Not sure yet what to do for this winter.

39 minutes ago, Retset said:

On the E91, I had a set of Hankook i-cept (think that's spelt right). Budget tyres but they were always very reassuring. Till I left them on into mid March and did two accidental powerslides on the same evening when it suddenly went very mild (15C)!

Having had so little use out of my winter tyres (living in the SW, the temps often barely went below 6C for many winters in a row), I decided not to get any for my F11 so, of course, it snowed many times!

Not sure yet what to do for this winter.

Crappy set of alloys and budget winters like the Petlas Snowmaster; they'll not cost too much but will always be hell of a lot better than summer tyres etc

It's always peace of mind and reassuring to know you've got them in IMO

Look up Michelin Cross Climate all season tyres, I have them on mine been great in the dry and and are supposed to be great through the winter too.

All the tyre you'll ever need.

21 minutes ago, rado16v said:

Look up Michelin Cross Climate all season tyres, I have them on mine been great in the dry and and are supposed to be great through the winter too.

All the tyre you'll ever need.

I've looked into all season tyres; they're not for me though

I'd rather have a set of dedicated winters and then summers etc

Just personal preference 

I had been using Falken HS 439s for the 18" parallels in winter, but a puncture made me consider the alternative of separate winter sets.

I'd bought a set of turbines which came with winters back in 2015 and they got their first proper use this year in Birmingham... worth every penny of £100 spent, less than getting a new tyre!

YouTube

44 minutes ago, themanstan said:

I had been using Falken HS 439s for the 18" parallels in winter, but a puncture made me consider the alternative of separate winter sets.

I'd bought a set of turbines which came with winters back in 2015 and they got their first proper use this year in Birmingham... worth every penny of £100 spent, less than getting a new tyre!

YouTube

Aye; great tyres IMO

This is what we had on the first day & night in Dunkeld back in Feb; it did this every day & night for the whole week; 9" deep at the end and a lot not driven on, so had to get the snow shovels out ;)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v3bmJ3nPMzMU6hsP6

IMG_0185.jpg

On 9/22/2018 at 11:39 PM, duncan-uk said:

We had hankook icebears on the 330d. Used all year round and seemed decent. Never got to test them properly in snow but dealt with grotty roads well enough. 

Hankook Icebears on my 530d - was unbeatable in the 2012 snow!

blob.png.3ba43c530bffc509159fe4d4ded60e89.png

15 hours ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

I've been reading reports that we're in for quite a bad one this year. 

Daily Mail? :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

That's not snow!  I mean you can still clearly make out the E39 in that picture. :D

DSCN3780_if.jpg

My winter wheels were virtually buried in this pic.  

Mine was an hour after we'd arrived!

It was like yours by the end of the week; frozen to the ground!

20 hours ago, dj1233 said:

Continental WinterContacts TS830/860. Great tyre, performed well in all winter weather. Car always felt stable and responsive. 

Agree I have a set of steelies for my now sold GTD with Ts860s and they are awesome.   About to order a set for my 4Matic Merc.  

I bought a set of wheels and Dunlop 3d winter tyres last year for my f11. Didn't particularly need them last winter, but as I'd only bought the car that year and intend to keep it for a good while I decided I'm better off getting them at the beginning of my ownership rather than wait for a bad winter. 

On the way to work one day a 1 series got stuck in front of me and a couple of blokes had to give it a push, they kindly waited to help me but it wasn't need as I drove straight through without even slip of the wheel.