JasonH

Best brake pads

Which brake pads do people recommend these days?

On my 535d I've had BMW, Delphi and Bosch pads.

All fairly similar in terms of performance.

All grind through the disc at an amazing rate.

All produced a fair bit of brown dust that stains the wheels.

EBC advertise pads with no metal content, I presume that means no brown (rusty) dust, but I've had a bad experience with EBC pads years ago.

Has anyone got decent low dust pads fitted?

What is it you want to achieve; or is it simple brake dust, or lack of?

For me, the best biting pads out there are EBC Yellowstuff and Ferodo DS2500; both very good from cold and excellent overall. No squealing, no brake fade (standard and spirited road driving etc)

The ATE ceramic pads get good reviews, but no idea if you can get them for your braking system

EBC were shite, but many moons back. They've come on leaps and bounds now and I've used them a lot over the last few years with zero issues. Redstuff are good, but for the bigger/heavier/more powerful cars, I'd only use Yellowstuff

Are you fitting new discs too? IMO it makes sense to replace one with the other. I'm doing similar in a few weeks with my 730D (Mtec C Hook discs up front with Yellowstuff pads; OEM blanks on the rears with EBC standard pads and HEL braided lines all round)

I am replacing the rear discs, pads and handbrake shoes. I was trying to get black coated discs, for aesthetics and to minimise corrosion. I'm struggling with this though and EBC have just let me, and my supplier, down by telling me the discs I ordered would be coated black. When they arrived they were uncoated and now EBC are saying my specific discs aren't available coated at all.

I've recently replaced the front discs and pads, I went for TRW discs and Delphi pads. In general I've never felt the 535d brakes lacking, they are huge. In fact the problem I used to have was not using the brakes hard enough and the pads glazing over.

The TRW discs and Delphi pads probably need a bit more bedding in but they feel average at the moment....and there's tonnes of dust.

So braking efficiency along the lines of standard will be fine. Not really trying to upgrade the brakes because that usually comes at a price like poor performance when cold or brake noise.

Edited by JasonH
Got the disc make wrong!

Mtec do coated discs IIRC, as do a few others but via eBay. Maybe look into those? I personally soundly spend my money on EBC discs; think they're very overpriced for what they are

Delphi brakes, for me, have always been shit. As have TRW and similar budget brakes

I've never had issues with Brembo blank discs and EBC pads or similar combos; obviously C Hook or Grooved discs are always going to give off a bit more dust due to their design, but they've never been that bad. More so if the alloys is washed and waxed every so often too; always helps cleaning them to be much easier :) 

Jurid are OEM and the value line range is by Textar. TRW are ok for the brake shoes, however I wouldn't use their discs. I bought rear set for £70 and they never fit properly, rubbed the inside caliper bracket making a grinding noise. I bought genuine floating type and they have never corroded despite many visits to the local car wash who use Conc. HCL to clean the alloys!

I've just replaced the rear pads after 4 years with Textar (£26, ECP 50% off 12 mths ago) and Brembos for the front when they need changing. Just make sure the brake fluid is changed every two years.

ATE ceramics are great with both braking and dust on your alloys. Expensive though. 

EBC Redstuff are ceramic too and seemed good. 

Currently using Brembo Discs and pads. I think ATE or EBC were better, but I was using ATE power discs. 

I fitted Pagid disks and pads a few years back, no complaints with them except a bit of squealing sometimes, but I've also had that with genuine BMW pads anyway.

There was a big thread on here somewhere a while ago about low dust pads with some good suggestions - might have been the E39 section.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Or use Poorboys alloy wheel wax/sealant. I use that on my powder coated rims and the dust morevor less washes (power washer) straight off 

This x10!

Exactly what I did when my 7 got it's wheels back from the powder coaters; a quick power wash and they look like they've never been dirty (well, unless you REALLY look) ;) 

6 hours ago, JasonH said:

I am replacing the rear discs, pads and handbrake shoes. I was trying to get black coated discs, for aesthetics and to minimise corrosion. I'm struggling with this though and EBC have just let me, and my supplier, down by telling me the discs I ordered would be coated black. When they arrived they were uncoated and now EBC are saying my specific discs aren't available coated at all.

I've recently replaced the front discs and pads, I went for TRW discs and Delphi pads. In general I've never felt the 535d brakes lacking, they are huge. In fact the problem I used to have was not using the brakes hard enough and the pads glazing over.

The TRW discs and Delphi pads probably need a bit more bedding in but they feel average at the moment....and there's tonnes of dust.

So braking efficiency along the lines of standard will be fine. Not really trying to upgrade the brakes because that usually comes at a price like poor performance when cold or brake noise.

EBC do the disc with the black coating according to their site:

https://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/info-brake-parts?make=BMW&year=2006&model=5+Series+(E61)&engineSelect=535+(3.0+TD)&engine=535+(3.0+TD)&bhp=

USR2070R

Mtec discs coating here: https://www.mtecbrakes.com/special-edition-brake-disc-coating.html

Just choose your disc and then the coating colour

Grooved or C Hook are always my choice