Tuvoc

Parts - buy cheap buy twice !

I've seen it said here before, and oh so true

The garage I use has the standing instruction to use non-BMW parts where it makes sense to do so to save money, but always decent OEM quality and no cheap and nasty parts.

Just has to replace my water pump for the second time. The garage last replaced it about 5 years ago not long after I bought the car. On the face of it a 5 year life is quite respectable,  but not even 40k miles in that time is not so respectable.

Not so much fun to have the water pump fail on the motorway. lose all your coolant and have the car recovered on a truck. Fortunately the engine did not get hot, so no problems in that respect, all is well.

Agree but how did you know the engine didn't get hot, the E60 has not temp gauge. Most important dial to inform the driver and it ain't there!  

The E39 was inflicted with the plastic impeller which used to shear off and and sending the temp sky high.

I replaced the rear anti roll bar links on my E39 with cheap none genuine ones.  They lasted 1 year and 14,000 miles before wearing out again.  Will not be doing that again!

No temp gauge but you would get a warning about the engine temperature being high and there wasn't one. I got the warning light about low coolant so I pulled over soon enough before the engine got hot. I pulled over when there was still loads of coolant left, evidenced by the flood underneath the car afterwards !  New water pump and a couple of new belts fitted today and all is well, engine is sweet and car driving perfectly exactly as before. Good save.

Same thing happened to me with my old E36 years ago, although in that case I felt the water pump let go, and saw the temp gauge rise so was able to avoid engine damage there as well.

10 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Most important dial to inform the driver and it ain't there!  

Too true. A temp gauge would have been far more useful than the fuel consumption gauge. I contemplated fitting an aftermarket one but chickened out at the thought of cutting into the plumbing and wiring and getting through the firewall.

Yes I hate the no temperature gauge thing ! Anyway thanks to my alertness and quick action the car survived to live another day.

In terms of the waterpump life - I replaced it shortly after I got the car over 5 years ago because the garage noticed it was noisy at the service. That was about 105k miles and might have been the factory original, If so then the aftermarket part that was fitted lasted less than half as long. Or else that was already the second pump so 40-50k miles is about it for them. Whatever, I won't have the car another 40k miles so I won't need to replace it again.

Interestingly, I looked at a Meyle part on ebay, and in the description it says

100,000 miles minimum performance guarantee (for terms of guarantee see www.meyle.com)

So then, either I was unlucky with the failure of the previous part at 40,000 miles (which I don't know the brand of) , or else it was poor quality. Anyway in less then 2 years time I won't have the car, so it doesn't matter next time around.

First time I had issue with their rear brake pad sensor, pins are of poor quality and wouldn't make connection. Chopped and replaced it with the genuine connector which solved the problem.

Edited by jake13

On 9/18/2018 at 7:25 AM, pidgeonpost said:

Too true. A temp gauge would have been far more useful than the fuel consumption gauge. I contemplated fitting an aftermarket one but chickened out at the thought of cutting into the plumbing and wiring and getting through the firewall. 

Just for reference, maybe fit a cheap OBD2 HUD with a temperature value read out and high temperature alarm (vids look to be a fixed trip around +120degC, not tested).
It is intersting to know the water temperature, would be nice to know the oil was up to temperature to, (depending on the ambient air temperature) I allow for another +5mins or 2miles after reaching operating water temperature. Incase I need to blip off a liitle stress B).

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's

A Chinese ripoff of this would be nice. £385 is ridiculous.

84Insfp.jpg

P3 OBDII Multi-Gauge For BMW 5 Series (E60)

• Plug and Play install - just plug into your OBDII port and install into dash!
  • Reads and clears OBDII Codes
  • OBDII Data for Coolant Temp, Intake Air Temp, Exhaust Gas Temp, Throttle Plate, Vehicle Speed, RPM, Shift-light, Battery voltage, 0-60 timer
  • Boost and Vacuum from OBDII port
  • Peak Recall on all functions
  • Optional Auto-Dim or Manual Dimmer
  • 2 x universal 0-5v linear analog inputs
  • Includes digital display, custom OBDII wire harness and control box.

Edited by Deviant

"Just for reference, maybe fit a cheap ODBC HUD with atemperature value".

Thanks for that. I was looking at some of these a couple of months back but missed the thread.

I was interested (still am), but suffered information overload because of the plethora of models, mixed reviews etc. Consequently I  chickened out.

I have the Carly app and dongle which overcomes the cable issues, and it has a huge range of selectable options to display. It also has an on/off switch which would presumably avoid power drain unless the car keeps something live because it detects the presence of the dongle in the socket.

The down side of using Carly on every journey is the startup/setup time. I use it occasionally and like it very much, but not sure I'd want to fire it up for every journey. 

I was interested to read the problem of there not being a suitable flat area on the E60 dash to allow for hinged screen to open as required. This is something I hadn't considered. I seem to remember reading of apps that produce an inverted display on the phone screen which is correctly displayed on a self-adhesive screen to stick on the windscreen.

Reading the thread in your link has revived my interest. :)

10 hours ago, Deviant said:

A Chinese ripoff of this would be nice. £385 is ridiculous.

84Insfp.jpg

P3 OBDII Multi-Gauge For BMW 5 Series (E60)

49 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

"Just for reference, maybe fit a cheap ODBC HUD with atemperature value".

Thanks for that. I was looking at some of these a couple of months back but missed the thread.

I was interested (still am), but suffered information overload because of the plethora of models, mixed reviews etc. Consequently I  chickened out.

I have the Carly app and dongle which overcomes the cable issues, and it has a huge range of selectable options to display. It also has an on/off switch which would presumably avoid power drain unless the car keeps something live because it detects the presence of the dongle in the socket.

The down side of using Carly on every journey is the startup/setup time. I use it occasionally and like it very much, but not sure I'd want to fire it up for every journey. 

I was interested to read the problem of there not being a suitable flat area on the E60 dash to allow for hinged screen to open as required. This is something I hadn't considered. I seem to remember reading of apps that produce an inverted display on the phone screen which is correctly displayed on a self-adhesive screen to stick on the windscreen.

Reading the thread in your link has revived my interest. :)

A much cheaper option (circa £140) is this, smaller and probably easy enough to locate on the dash to view your required data. 

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

Edited by dj1233