Sign in to follow this  
Retset

The ONE bucket wash!!!

Everything below came from a video on the Foresnic Detailing YouTube channel.

I was rather fed up of getting out the pressure washer, two large buckets etc. to wash the car when, sometimes, it was not that dirty. Then I saw a a video that showed a great, quick alternative. For it you will need:

1) One or more cheap Chinese wash mitts like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Super-Soft-Lambswool-Car-Care-Wash-Mitt-Deep-Pile-Cleaning-Glove-Washing-Glove/192454197994?epid=14014544800&hash=item2ccf2a02ea:g:~9YAAOSws6ZaEoIz

2) Hozelock multi spray attachment. Cheapest I can find is ToolStation: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Landscaping/d130/Hose+Fittings/sd3316/Hozelock+Multi+Spray+Gun/p34414

For a lightly soiled car that does not really need a prefoam the method is:

1) Clean your wheels

2) Prepare a small wash bucket with a few litres of water, your favourite car shampoo and, if you have it, a little Optimum No Rinse/CarPro Ech20 or other waterless wash liquid.

3) Spray the car with water

4) Dip mitt in bucket and wash a panel in straight lines

5) Use the fan spray on the Hozelock to clean the mitt. This spray pattern literally cuts through all the dirt on the mitt. Because the pile is so short you can see when the mitt is clean.

6) repeat steps 4 and 5 till car clean.

The advantages over the TBW are savings in time, shampoo and water plus the mitt is not rinsed off in ever dirtier water so is is likely to cause swirls than the TBW.

The video is rather too long to explain this simple concept so my link just takes you to the vital bit - watch a few minutes from this point.

I must stress this is for a regular maintenance wash. If the car is minging, you will still want to haul out the pressure washer to rinse, foam and rinse again to clean the worst off. In this scenario, I use the PW to help with the wheels and pre-wash. Then I put it away, pop the Hozelock attachment to the hoze and continue with the one bucket method.

Hmm not too sure about this, with all that cleaning of the mitt surely it would have used enough water to fill the second bucket anyway?

I've seen ONR as a neat waterless wash solution, wondering if youve seen this and/or tried it?

Not sure its supposed to save water though.

Saw a lady using the one bucket method the other day.

The bucket was her mop bucket and seemed to be using a dish cloth!

On 10/1/2018 at 3:42 PM, The Flying Banana said:

a 45 minute video on washing a van!!!??? ... this guy needs to get out a bit more .....

You should watch the Obsessed Garage youtube channel, best stuff

On 10/1/2018 at 3:21 PM, duncan-uk said:

Not sure its supposed to save water though.

Saw a lady using the one bucket method the other day.

The bucket was her mop bucket and seemed to be using a dish cloth!

Nothing wrong with a mop bucket. I actually use those as i prefer their shape and easier to get into sink to fill up with hot water. Obviously never seen a mop in it and washed thoroughly before each car wash. 

Using the abrasive side of the dish sponge often gives that desired matte effect on the paint :D