mike.

Dpf regen help?

If I'm using the carly app to force regen do I have to keep clearing the dpf error that flashes up on i drive?

I cleared the error,  requested a regen and shortly after the error popped back on th I drive. Had to cut the drive short unfortunately. 

Also anyone offer advice on this diagnostics As to why the dpf is blocked? Stats changes 6 months ago, all glow plugs and glow plug controller unit changed and dpf regenerated from Indy 3 months ago

Engine / Motor
Fault Code: 00480A
Fault Explanation: particulate filter system
Fault Code: 00481A
Fault Explanation: particulate filter system

Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC
Fault Code: 00D355

Fault Code: 00D354

Fault Code: 00D356

Fault Code: 006F56

My mate was having problems with bad running and a weird delayed throttle response on his E60 530d. I showed him how to get the coolant temp up on the hidden menu. It showed it was only running at about 70 degrees so I suggested the dpf regen wasn’t working as the engine has to be up to full operating temperature. I did his thermostats then tried to use Carly to force a regen. Sadly it wouldn’t work as the dpf was completely blocked so he’s had it gutted. 

Its now running a hell of a lot better but is still smoking quite a lot which brings on the EML. It does keep going off on its own so I’ve suggested it’ll just have a build up of soot in the exhaust which will take a while to clear by driving the car hard. Even driving it hard the MPG has gone up by 5 already. 

Get it removed. 

Carly will usually show glowplug faults. You need to clear these on the move.

last one I did was on an 09 X5, it took multiple clears before the regent bit. Over half a tank, and correct temp also required. Took about 20 miles at a constant 70 mph. Which isn’t easy!

His has glow plug codes as well as the module. My 330d doesn’t have any fault codes for them but still didn’t like starting when it was VERY cold last winter. 

Like roofer says, it’s not easy to get them to regen, everything has to be spot on which is a bit silly really, no wonder so many people have problems with them. 

I don't believe a lot of the "facts" out in the wild about DPF regens. These are my observations and they tie in with the below listed BMW training manual.

Normal/Good Regen Cycle

I drive 46kms (28miles) between home and work, nearly all of it on 100kmh/62mph  limit motorway. I don't really speed. After having some turbo issues I started using my cheap OBD reader (ELM327) to monitor settings while driving using a free app.

I always use cruise control on this trip and set it at about 65-66mph (a little higher than the limit to account for the speedo correction) so I would say it's about 60mph. I have driven many times where the catalyst temp does not exceed 340C for the entire journey. It usually sits between 270-330C depending on road incline/engine load. I have witnessed what I believe to be DPF regens where the cat temp. goes to 590-670C for about 10 mins and then drops back to normal.

Poor/Urban Regen

I have also witnessed an attempted regen while urban driving. Sitting in traffic and the temp is circa 200C, green light, up the the next lights 300-400 meters away and the cat temp very quickly jumps up to peaks of 590C, while never exceeding 50kmh/30mph. My journey prevented the car from doing a decent regen cycle. My next trip was to work the next day and a regen was not triggered on this trip, so it seems the poor urban regen was either: 1 - sufficient, or 2 - not really sufficient but the car just has to take what it gets.

For anyone that mostly urban drives with a DPF car, I also believe that "giving her a good motorway run once a month" is completely hit and miss as the regen may not be triggered. The car doesn't know it's on a motorway or that you intend to drive for another 20-30mins :)

Glow Plugs?

I also have 2 of my 4 glow plugs showing errors permanently, (I have 4 on order). This dispels another myth I have read somewhere about regens not starting due to glow plug errors. Glow plug errors are logged in the DDE module but do not trigger the warning light. If this prevented the regen cycle starting then it would block the filter in no time which makes no sense. Perhaps it is correct that a regen cannot be forced via diagnostics while there are error codes present for GPs, and hence the confusion, but I don't know tbh.

Have a read of the BMW training manual for in-depth detail of the DPF: http://www.londonroadgarage.com/images/Diesel Air Intake and Exhaust System.pdf

Keliuss

Edit: Should have mentioned my car has about 196k km (120k mls) on the clock so also has a permanent error in DDE for DPF which I believe is "DPF near end of life" error.

Edited by keliuss

On 9/18/2018 at 3:01 PM, roofer said:

Carly will usually show glowplug faults. You need to clear these on the move.

last one I did was on an 09 X5, it took multiple clears before the regent bit. Over half a tank, and correct temp also required. Took about 20 miles at a constant 70 mph. Which isn’t easy!

So you think fault codes are showing for glow plugs in the report above?

Thanks for the replies guys, can anyone answer this:

If I'm using the carly app to force regen do I have to keep clearing the dpf error that flashes up on i drive?

So just come home from a 500 mile round trip from warrington to southampton for a long weekend away with the family and the dpf regenerated itself nicely. 

The fault code was also showing a battery cable fault of some sort, Popped into my Indy before the trip and he fiddled about with it and hopefully it won't reappear and stop future self regeneration. 

Had to keep clearing fault codes and requesting regens over and over but finally it started doing its thing past Birmingham and on the return trip regenerated right down.

On another note, what a car for the journey! 

On the first night with the kids asleep I did a 200 mile stretch in 3 hours quite comfortably. I found having the box in sport and some of the steep A roads down south making the engine work helped the re-gen but that might just be me.

A combination of things I find makes it an ideal long distance machine including  the auto box, 3.0 engine, cruise control which can be adjusted 5mph at a time unlike my e92 (might sound minor but imo makes a big difference) 

It didn't miss a beat, took me and the wife, 2 kids, pram, luggage etc in total comfort.

Owned it 2 years which is why I'm a bit surprised at being Sat here  singing its praises but for a 9 year old car with 90k on the clock it felt sublime, I don't do such long trips often and was impressed with how effortless this e60 made it, I will try my best to remember this moment the next time it throws me an expensive repair bill!

Edited by mike.