TK421

Adblue refill

Noticed my adblue gauge in the iDrive stated 1500 miles left and requiring 6L. So off I went and purchased a 10L container with spout (£9.26 from Euro), thinking I will have 4L left for another top up.

It took the full 10L’s? Range now states >4500 miles 0.00L 

anyone else have experience of refilling and amounts requested to actually used? Also range?

Not in a bmw.but the Peugeot 308 estate GT line I had previously went through Adblue a lot quicker than the manual stated. A full tank of Adblue was meant to last 12k miles :lol: reality was more like 8k miles before the light came on. This was due to the car running at higher speeds most of the time with very little in the way of town driving. Therefore more of the Adblue was being squirted into the exhaust system. So I would take the range quoted with a pinch of salt.

have to say I am happy my F11 520d I have now doesn’t use the stuff! It’s a total con anyway. :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, GStarrr said:

Not in a bmw.but the Peugeot 308 estate GT line I had previously went through Adblue a lot quicker than the manual stated. A full tank of Adblue was meant to last 12k miles :lol: reality was more like 8k miles before the light came on. This was due to the car running at higher speeds most of the time with very little in the way of town driving. Therefore more of the Adblue was being squirted into the exhaust system. So I would take the range quoted with a pinch of salt.

have to say I am happy my F11 520d I have now doesn’t use the stuff! It’s a total con anyway. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply. If I’m honest wasn’t even aware that I had adblue until I got the car, have done well with my diesels over the years to avoid it. It’s cheap enough to be fair, a bit of a faff to refill, be nice if it was on pump on all the forecourts as in my eyes it’s as important as having fuel on there, as without it our cars wouldn’t start. Suppose we have Brussels to thank for introducing another half arsed planet saving initiative. Instead I’ll keep buying my 10l adblue from whomever has it on offer, wrestle with it on the drive way whilst refilling, and be happy I’ve reduced my carbon footprint by tipping pig p1ss in my £50k BMW, that and paying £450 a year road tax for the next 5 years!  Happy days ;)

Edited by TK421

Requested 6L but took 10L which is an extra 40% hard to believe it would be out by so much? 

Will keep an an eye on how it goes, got another 10L ready just in case. ;)

On 9/15/2018 at 8:55 PM, GStarrr said:

Yeah I'm with you on it being a bit of a con - all you're doing is moving the pollution away from the car further down the transport line to the production/transit of the 10L adblue containers.

Sorry just realised i've not contributed at all here and just sound negative! Interesting to see the figures of how much mileage people get for their AdBlue. My F32 420 doesn't have adblue at all

Edited by CFD
Trying to actually contribute to the conversation...

On 16 September 2018 at 8:46 AM, TK421 said:

It’s cheap enough to be fair, a bit of a faff to refill, be nice if it was on pump on all the forecourts as in my eyes it’s as important as having fuel on there, as without it our cars wouldn’t start. 

It is actually available on some forecourts though I've only seen it on the HGV side so far as trucks have been using it for a while now.  Blue pump. Don't know if the filler fits cars though - I expect it does though. Wouldn't be surprised to see it turning up more generally as lots of diesels over the last couple of years use it.

Edited by Boba

I wrote a similar post a few weeks ago where I said the same.

Bless the guy in Halfords. He stopped me buying couple of small bottles  and asked what car I had and how many miles. When I said he said pretty much guarantee it'll take at least 10 litres. He was right!

I wonder if just a litre or 2 of water would get things going in an emergency? It is mostly just water and piss after all. ;)

5 hours ago, Boba said:

I wonder if just a litre or 2 of water would get things going in an emergency? It is mostly just water and piss after all. ;)

Can't recommend this action.....

It's an extremely high purity, 32.5% aqueous solution of urea (minimum 31.8% - maximum 33.3%) that transforms nitrogen oxides into nitrogen (N2) and water vapour (H2O) by means of chemical reduction.

We might choose to call it piss but neat piss it isn't !!

12 minutes ago, BacktoBeemer said:

It's an extremely high purity, 32.5% aqueous solution of urea (minimum 31.8% - maximum 33.3%) that transforms nitrogen oxides into nitrogen (N2) and water vapour (H2O) by means of chemical reduction.

When these systems were first developed for HD vehicles there were suggestions that neat urine could be processed onboard the vehicle.

27 minutes ago, BacktoBeemer said:

I was actually joking :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ISTR piss only contains about 1-2% urea unless you're seriously unwell!!

Edited by Boba

On 9/17/2018 at 2:45 PM, Boba said:

Try piss in the water and see if it works... perhaps it depends what you've been drinking. M-Sport diesels may need a trace of Jaegermeister in the AdBlue...